• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time ever OCing in the city and a question about proximity

Dav

So I OC'ed for the first time in the city today. It was uneventful - remarkably uneventful. I had imagined being ridiculed and poked fun at in my fairly liberal city, however I received no treatment of the sort. I went to CVS to go buy a few things (batteries, gum, chapstick, chocolate) and I think a few people noticed. When I was in line for checkout there was a gentleman that got closer than I would like. In fact, armed or not armed I would have been uncomfortable with how close he was. I kept inching forward and he kept doing the same. I kept my weak side towards him (I wear a strong side OWB holster), but then I started crowding the people in front of me undoubtedly making them equally uncomfortable, AND then I had my strong side and firearm almost within reach of them. I ended up just stepping out of line and pretending like I forgot to grab something and rejoinng the line after he had left. He looked like a regular college kid (about like me) and didn't really set off any internal alarms other than the fact he kept getting really close.

What would my fellow (and undoubtedly more experienced) OC'ers have done differently? I didn't really want to make the situation tense by telling him to take a step back, regardless of my intention I feel like it may have been received the wrong way. Should I just have told him he was making me uncomfortable?

Last edited:

Dav

Some may have done differently, but I feel you handled it well. I would have done the same thing.

You walked softly, as Theodore Roosevelt put it.

Thanks bud. After lurking here for 4 months (I just recently started posting) I thought I was doing what the wise men of OCDO would do. Carrying in the city is definitely a lot more involved than strapping a .45 to your hip and stomping around in the montana back country. That's for sure.

All said and done I'd say it was a positive experience.

DW

Silvertongue

Thanks bud. After lurking here for 4 months (I just recently started posting) I thought I was doing what the wise men of OCDO would do. Carrying in the city is definitely a lot more involved than strapping a .45 to your hip and stomping around in the montana back country. That's for sure.

All said and done I'd say it was a positive experience.

DW

Curious: Does anybody actually use straps?

Rusty Young Man

SNIP...What would my fellow (and undoubtedly more experienced) OC'ers have done differently? I didn't really want to make the situation tense by telling him to take a step back, regardless of my intention I feel like it may have been received the wrong way. Should I just have told him he was making me uncomfortable?

I would have (and do) buy my batteries, gum, and chocolate in bulk.:p

Welcome to OCDO, and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona Dav! It sounds like you handled yourself very well, and had the situational awareness to perceive possible dangers ahead. Besides, the responsibility that comes with carrying a firearm dictates that we need to be more mature and cool-headed than those we encounter. You seem to have been both.

fjpro2a

What City/State

So I OC'ed for the first time in the city today. It was uneventful - remarkably uneventful. I had imagined being ridiculed and poked fun at in my fairly liberal city, however I received no treatment of the sort. I went to CVS to go buy a few things (batteries, gum, chapstick, chocolate) and I think a few people noticed. When I was in line for checkout there was a gentleman that got closer than I would like. In fact, armed or not armed I would have been uncomfortable with how close he was. I kept inching forward and he kept doing the same. I kept my weak side towards him (I wear a strong side OWB holster), but then I started crowding the people in front of me undoubtedly making them equally uncomfortable, AND then I had my strong side and firearm almost within reach of them. I ended up just stepping out of line and pretending like I forgot to grab something and rejoinng the line after he had left. He looked like a regular college kid (about like me) and didn't really set off any internal alarms other than the fact he kept getting really close.

What would my fellow (and undoubtedly more experienced) OC'ers have done differently? I didn't really want to make the situation tense by telling him to take a step back, regardless of my intention I feel like it may have been received the wrong way. Should I just have told him he was making me uncomfortable?
Dav,
What City/State are we talking about? Am I overlooking something on this site?

fjpro2a

Phrased poorly

Lincoln, NE

Overlooking what?

Dav,
What I meant to say was - Am I overlooking something on this site that would have let me know the city/State? As the title says - PHRASED POORLY
As to your original thread, you handled it very well. Kudos.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by fjpro2a

Dav,
What City/State are we talking about? --snip--
Lincoln, NE
--snip--
Being more precise as to your location in your Profile eliminates such problems. You might consider editing that.

hafnhaf

are you using a retention holster, or one that makes it easy for someone to just reach and grab your gun? a retention holster will at least raise your nervous threshold.

a lot has to do with sizing up the people around you, just like you are already doing.

Dav

are you using a retention holster, or one that makes it easy for someone to just reach and grab your gun? a retention holster will at least raise your nervous threshold.

a lot has to do with sizing up the people around you, just like you are already doing.

I've got a leather thumb strap, that's about it.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
I might have taken a few steps backward to force him to do the same and then moved forward again to see if that opened up some space between myself and the fellow behind me. If not, I think your action would have been fine. You did well. And welcome aboard.

Last edited:

girlwithaglock

I OC in Lincoln too! Hope to run into you some time. I think you reacted well. When I feel someone is getting too close, I also rest my arm on top of my holstered gun and try to move away or turn. I sometimes make eye contact and smile. I don't see anything wrong in asking for a little space if you do it casually and politely. Depends on the person, I suppose.

SFCRetired

Just a small point; in some areas of the country, you will encounter folks from other countries whose comfort zone is much closer than is typical for us Americans. I encountered this in Europe, the Middle East, North Africa, and Asia when I was in those areas. I've also encountered it in this country with both foreign-born folks and with different regional cultures.

OP, you handled it very well. I can't think of how you might have done better. You gracefully removed yourself from a situation you found uncomfortable.

I do not like anyone to get within arm's reach of me when I am carrying and out in public. I have had to ask several of my lovely bride's countrymen to give me a little more room.