• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First Time Kentucky OCer

ArmySoldier22

Hey everybody,

I'm going to be up your way in about a week to visit my fiance's family, and I was just wondering if there's anything I should be aware of. I know KY is pretty OC friendly compared to a lot of states, just want to know if there's anything big I should know. Any cities that have ridiculous regulations, etc. For now, I'll keep reading up around the forum to see what I can find :)

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Cities are preempted in Ky from making any law on firearms. Only state legislature makes firearm law, and nothing you really need to know, other than ocing is fine in rest. That serves alcohol, but if you go to a bar that doesn't make 50% of it's income from food sales you can carry openly, just has to be unloaded. The only other places you can't carry are courthouses that house only the court of justice, k12 school property, detention facilities, and federal property. I doubt you are going to any of these places so your good to go. "no firearms" signs do not hold force of law in Ky, so you can ignore them if you want. Enjoy all our great state has to offer and carry on! BTW, if you don't have a cdwl, you can carry in your glovebox, console, or any other enclosed factory installed storage compartment, or in plain sight in your vehicle and it isn't considered concealed. It can be fully loaded, and the compartment does not have to be locked. You can also carry any other deadly weapon in the same places.

Last edited:

ArmySoldier22

Thank you very much for that reply. You pretty much covered anything I could've wanted to know. Some of the differences between our states almost make me want to move up there lol. But thanks again, I look forward to my trip up there.

09jisaac

Thank you very much for that reply. You pretty much covered anything I could've wanted to know. Some of the differences between our states almost make me want to move up there lol. But thanks again, I look forward to my trip up there.

Remember though a lot of "state" lakes are owned and controlled by the corps, they make the rules there (like an army base) and most don't want "untrained" citizens packing a gun around on "their" land....

DrakeZ07

Remember though a lot of "state" lakes are owned and controlled by the corps, they make the rules there (like an army base) and most don't want "untrained" citizens packing a gun around on "their" land....

If he's heading to Cave Run Lake, Grayson lake, or Cumberland, he should be fine. I've had plenty of KDFWR and Nat'l Ranger LEO's check my licenses at the three lakes, and none of them gave it more than a passive glance when I OC'd. Just don't go near the dam's :D

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Drake, do you mind me asking why you where having your licensed checked? Was you in a vehicle all these times or on foot?

DrakeZ07

Drake, do you mind me asking why you where having your licensed checked? Was you in a vehicle all these times or on foot?

More like, on my rear sitting on the bank with a pole in the water. I seem to attract LEO's to me. They just check my fishing license, and drivers license, and hardly pay attention to my pistol, always kept at 3 o' clock, in plain and open view~ :D Help's when you wear pink camo pants ;3

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Aahh, now I get it, I thought they was just demanding your license for no reason. Do you have to show I.D. When also showing a hunting/fishing license?, or were you just being courteous?

DrakeZ07

Aahh, now I get it, I thought they was just demanding your license for no reason. Do you have to show I.D. When also showing a hunting/fishing license?, or were you just being courteous?

I dislike showing my I.D. when I don't have to, tis why I only buy smokes from places who dont ask for ID :D But, Yes I always had to show I.D. along with hunting and fishing licenses, Rangers and KDFWR are adamant about demanding I.D.

But on a side note; If he goes to the red river gorge, best to keep the pistol in the glove box, or center console, Ranger's don't like to see it in plain view over there, if you get stopped that is lol.

langzaiguy

@Drake I know from you past posts that you had a bad excuse carrying in Red River Gorge. I'm in the gorge a couple times a month and I've never had a single bad experience and have had a few positive ones. I've interacted with both Menifee County Deputies and US Ranger. When I go to the gorge, I usually go to Miguel's where all the hippie/liberal people hang out. Besides the last time when someone asked, "Is that thing loaded"--again, nothing but positive interactions.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I have been searching krs, kar, and f&w website and can't find anything that says you must provide I.D., all I can find is you must have your hunting/fishing license filled out and must show it on demand. Anybody provide me with some information that I might be overlooking.?

DrakeZ07

I have been searching krs, kar, and f&w website and can't find anything that says you must provide I.D., all I can find is you must have your hunting/fishing license filled out and must show it on demand. Anybody provide me with some information that I might be overlooking.?

I don't know if Kentucky is a Stop and ID state or not, but if a LEO or Ranger demands my ID, I give it~ I hate confrontation, and rather enjoy not being arrested, as I'm already scared of LE. I'm too timid, even while OC'ing, to want to get into a fight, or anything for refusing to show ID. Sorry~

@Langzaiguy; I'm sorry~ I didn't know camping, and a general fear of bears and wildlife, as well as random concern for encounters with whatever people with ill will in the RRG constitutes as a bad excuse to OC~ I've OC'd at Miguel's a few times with no problems, also at the subway,a nd the Shell station, no issues at all, only just when I'm down by Indian creek, or on 77 ;-; Sorry for any confusion~

langzaiguy

Thank you Gutshot, and my apologies, Drake. I did mean to type "experience". By the way, my good LEO experience was at Indiana Creek at the steel bridge. Don't let your bad experience get ya down. Let me know if you want to hike sometime--I'm in the area quite often.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
I am very much aware that Ky is not a stop and identify state, however I would like to know where in krs, kar it says we must show I.D. when showing our hunting license, for my own reference.

UnfetteredMight

I am very much aware that Ky is not a stop and identify state, however I would like to know where in krs, kar it says we must show I.D. when showing our hunting license, for my own reference.

Consider it an extension of the officers authority to confirm that, in fact, it is you identified on the hunting license. I've never had one, but I suspect they are like fishing licenses and are not photo IDs.

I believe your drawing a parallel with not having to ID for OC. OC is largely unregulated in this state and a constitutional right, hunting is regulated and is not a right.

Last edited: