• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

First time OC/Nothing happened, Virginia Beach

Mr H

We're down in the VB area this weekend, and I took the opportunity today to strap on for the first time.

Decided to take the P239SAS with me, rather than lock it up in the hotel room.

Wife gave me a "Geez... boys!" look, that I had to chuckle at.

Took some things over to the Former Future Daughter In-Law's place (now that she's settling back in from deployment), made a few trips back and forth to the car, ate lunch back in the hotel lobby.

Funny how that works, when you're somewhere that accepts it!!!

Carrying to dinner is TBD... start slow, and all that...

;-))

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
We're down in the VB area this weekend, and I took the opportunity today to strap on for the first time.

Decided to take the P239SAS with me, rather than lock it up in the hotel room.

Wife gave me a "Geez... boys!" look, that I had to chuckle at.

Took some things over to the Former Future Daughter In-Law's place (now that she's settling back in from deployment), made a few trips back and forth to the car, ate lunch back in the hotel lobby.

Funny how that works, when you're somewhere that accepts it!!!

Carrying to dinner is TBD... start slow, and all that...

;-))

welcome to the club.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Sorry to hear of your lack of angst and harassment. I hear that you can't get harassed even in Norfolk any more. What are things coming to? [/sarcasm].

Welcome to OCDO and the world of open carrying. I'm not trying to be pushy, but when are we going to hear about your wife joining you on an OC date? (Pictures of that, please. <BIG grin>

stay safe.

Mr H

Sorry to hear of your lack of angst and harassment. I hear that you can't get harassed even in Norfolk any more. What are things coming to? [/sarcasm].

Welcome to OCDO and the world of open carrying. I'm not trying to be pushy, but when are we going to hear about your wife joining you on an OC date? (Pictures of that, please. <BIG grin>

stay safe.

No time soon, I'm sure.

She prefers to keep it in her drawers... Nightstand drawers, that is.

;-))

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
No time soon, I'm sure.

She prefers to keep it in her drawers... Nightstand drawers, that is.

;-))

Glad you clarified that.

Wow, coming from Maryland, you new adventure must have been quite a day for you. Congrats. Since Anne Arundel County has historically been a bit more traditional (conservative) than the other close-in Maryland countries (correction if wrong, please), how do you think your neighbors in your county would accept OC if Maryland were to suddenly recognize a right that was stolen from her citizens?

Mr H

... Since Anne Arundel County has historically been a bit more traditional (conservative) than the other close-in Maryland countries (correction if wrong, please), how do you think your neighbors in your county would accept OC if Maryland were to suddenly recognize a right that was stolen from her citizens?

AA Co, is generally conservative, yes...

But there is a foggy dividing line between North- and South-county (where the greatest acceptance would be, IMO). Where to paint the difference is still uncertain, but it's definitely there.

The southern end of the county is more like Southern MD, where I think it would be welcomed openly "as nature intended". The northern end has become a little too much an extension of Baltimore City, and also has many "redneck wannabes". While the former concern me in an OC world, the latter scare the bejeebus out of me.

In the fuzzy middle, there are all types... it would definitely take some time and getting used to, in order for OC to become an accepted norm.

Personally, I don't want "Instant OC" in MD... but I do want a simpler mechanism by which we can be allowed to carry concealed (i.e., start with FLA-like laws), then in time loosen things up to [eventually] have Constitutional Carry.

Last edited:

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Congratulations on your trip. BTW, nothing is what is supposed to happen.:lol:

Personally, I don't want "Instant OC" in MD... but I do want a simpler mechanism by which we can be allowed to carry concealed (i.e., start with FLA-like laws), then in time loosen things up to [eventually] have Constitutional Carry.

Be careful with baby steps. They can be dangerous and further divide the gun owners. You will never have Constitutional carry using permits as a starting point.

Careful adult sized steps are the best.

Mr H

Careful adult sized steps are the best.

Understood...

But with 4 different "Marylands" (with 3 different mindsets) in play, the trick will be finding a suitable starting point (which may likely also be an argument by the MSP et al against doing it).

Conservative/Old School MD:
Eastern Shore? No problem.
Western MD (west of I-270, of course)? No problem, again.

Bedroom Community MD:
StMary's, Charles, Calvert, SoAA counties? Slow transition, but do-able in time
Carroll, Cecil, Harford, NoBalt Counties? A strange mix of ready and not ready in some areas, but probably not a hard transition.

Central Marylandistan:
The region between MD295 and I-270, north of DC and south of I-70 and Balt City? This is the liberal stronghold in the State, and where nearly all of the resistance is entrenched.