• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Flying with layover at JFK

Magical Man

Hi I'm fairly new to carrying a handgun so I just wanna make sure I'm doing everything correctly. I've tried looking for the answer for a few hours now but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I'm gonna be flying from NH to FL and back a few days later. Both flights have a layover for only a couple hours at JFK in NYC. I'm seeing that NYC is like the worst place for gun laws. So should I just not bring my handgun with me or will I be ok since I'm only passing through NYC and it won't even be in my possession at all while I'm there. Thanks in advanced for your help!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
If you want your firearm with you in Florida and it will be legal to have it there, ship it to yourself in care of your destination, ans instruct whoever receives the package to not open it.

There are numerous instances of folks with NY or NJ layovers trying to declare a firearm being arrested for volating the state's laws requiring a license from them to even posses a firearm in that state. There are many court rulings that go both ways - upholding the arrest and conviction seems IIRC to outnumber not guilty findings. A quick Google search ought to give you enough of a case of the willies to ship ahead instead of fly with.

stay safe.

PS (edited to add) Be sure you will be covered carrying concealed in Florida. There is no OC there and threy only recognize certain other states' permits.

Last edited:

KBCraig

The only safe way to handle it is to make sure you bags are checked directly through to Florida, so that you never have to touch them.

If you have to claim your bags and re-check them, you're going to be screwed.

emsjeep

The only safe way to handle it is to make sure you bags are checked directly through to Florida, so that you never have to touch them.

This.

Whatever happens, DO NOT take possession of the bag with the gun in a non-friendly state. If you do this, you should be fine if you follow all of the other TSA guidelines.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator

Do not claim your bag under any circumstances. If the airlines insist while waiting for your flight to take your bag (cancelled flight or something), notify the airline that you cannot take possession due to the firearm. If they continue to insist, ask for a TSA supervisor and ask them to store the luggage on the secure side so that it doesn't enter New York's jurisdiction. If they refuse, contact the Port Authority Police Department (do not touch or take possession of the bag) and advise them that you have a cancelled flight and you have a pistol in your baggage and that the airline is trying to give you the bag in possession rather than keeping possession). They will fix the issue, even if it means securely storing it on the secure side.

Magical Man

Alright sounds good. Thank you all so much for your responses, I really appreciate it!!

markm

Federal Law Protects you.

Hi I'm fairly new to carrying a handgun so I just wanna make sure I'm doing everything correctly. I've tried looking for the answer for a few hours now but couldn't find a definitive answer.

I'm gonna be flying from NH to FL and back a few days later. Both flights have a layover for only a couple hours at JFK in NYC. I'm seeing that NYC is like the worst place for gun laws. So should I just not bring my handgun with me or will I be ok since I'm only passing through NYC and it won't even be in my possession at all while I'm there. Thanks in advanced for your help!

Here is a URL for interstate transport of weapons:
http://www.nraila.org/gunlaws/federal/read.aspx?id=59

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1]Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle:provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.[/SIZE][/FONT]

DOJ letter Regarding New York and JFK:
http://www.nraila.org/images/DOJltrTSA.pdf

Good Luck!

markm