• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

For the Libertarians among us

WalkingWolf

Thanks to unprincipled, complacent group-thinkers like you.

You have no idea why and who supports what, and if they are complacent or not. Not only is it ignorant it is damaging to the future of the libertarian party. One thing that republicans and democrats agree on is pushy, self centered, thinking they can push and force others to think the way they do. You don't have to like reps and dems, but the libertarian party better respect them if they want to not lose what little support they have left. In other words you should worry about your own backyard before complaining about others. Hate filled thinkers always lose in the long run.

KBCraig

You mean the way the disgruntled democrats turned to the green party in 2000. Where is the green party today?

Right where they were before 2000.

Unlike the Greens, the LP has a 40+ year history, and a solid organization. What the LP almost did not survive, was Barr/Root.

Tactical9mm

For any New Hampshire locals who helped secure the signatures that allowed us to put local Libertarian candidates on the ballot for the upcoming general election, thank you very much!

http://lpnh.org/candidates

(is the most recent list available).

Now on the subject of "respect": the national republicans are clearly not demonstrating that quality with regard to Gary Johnson's campaign. They have been litigating against Gary in attempts to keep his name off the ballot in many States for the upcoming general election. The tally stands right now at three States still in litigation, but they should soon be resolved favorably for Gary as he has met or exceeded the minimum criteria to get on the ballot in these locations.

I'm predicting that the republican party won't be around for much longer. In fact, I see them going the way of the Whig party, and for essentially the same reasons. Factions, and division.

You have your moderates, conservatives, and theocrats. This nomination process for Romney was painful for all of those factions, and they are not united going into the election. These internal divisions, combined with voter perception of what the party is really about will be the nail in the coffin. It's just a matter of time.

When the Whig 2.0 implosion happens, the Libertarian party will be there to step in as one of the new major parties. It will be a great time for America when that day arrives.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
KBCraig,

One look at http://www.lp.org/issues will immediately differentiate a Libertarian from a democrat. 60% does not seem a reasonable number.

The Libertarian Party only represents part of the picture... a view that regrettably insists on the productive wonders of wealth and politically powerful private corporations.

Many Republicans, even those who consider themselves part of the small "L" libertarian movement", rail against "welfare" for individuals but neglect to mention the beneficiaries of near invisible State subsidies: large corporations. Our government subsidizes large corporations through artificial property rights; a regulatory system that benefits large, established players at the expense of smaller suppliers; subsidizing long-distance transportation at the expense of local enterprise more able to adapt supply to demand; and creates high overhead capital costs designed so that most regular people are unable to ever go into business themselves.

In short, Capitalism as we know it couldn't survive without the state; “free market” capitalism does not exist;what the Republican party, and Mitt Romney, proposes is really privatized feudalism.

The Libertarian Party of the United States has an almost total disregard for non-State sources of oppression exemplified by the modern, top-down State Capitalist economic system. True Libertarians fight against the coercive state as a way to reform our society, as do traditional Republicans. However, Libertarians need to also fight against the concentration of wealth and the class system... as do those one may consider traditional Democrats. The difference lies in the wish to have the state be a means to reach the goal.

ScottE

It is not my fault that Gary Johnson is not more widely known. It is Gary Johnson's fault that he is not more widely known. Gary Johnson not getting any respect or media coverage is all on Gary Johnson.

You have a lot to learn about who controls the media.

Tactical9mm

The Libertarian Party only represents part of the picture... a view that regrettably insists on the productive wonders of wealth and politically powerful private corporations.

Many Republicans, even those who consider themselves part of the small "L" libertarian movement", rail against "welfare" for individuals but neglect to mention the beneficiaries of near invisible State subsidies: large corporations. Our government subsidizes large corporations through artificial property rights; a regulatory system that benefits large, established players at the expense of smaller suppliers; subsidizing long-distance transportation at the expense of local enterprise more able to adapt supply to demand; and creates high overhead capital costs designed so that most regular people are unable to ever go into business themselves.

In short, Capitalism as we know it couldn't survive without the state; “free market” capitalism does not exist;what the Republican party, and Mitt Romney, proposes is really privatized feudalism.

The Libertarian Party of the United States has an almost total disregard for non-State sources of oppression exemplified by the modern, top-down State Capitalist economic system. True Libertarians fight against the coercive state as a way to reform our society, as do traditional Republicans. However, Libertarians need to also fight against the concentration of wealth and the class system... as do those one may consider traditional Democrats. The difference lies in the wish to have the state be a means to reach the goal.

Thanks for responding here. I find it very refreshing to see a knowledgeable perspective, and I agree with you almost a hundred percent.

To give insight into my personal views about what you've mentioned, let me drop two names that should let you know precisely where I am in the spectrum of it all; Murray Rothbard, and Roderick Long. As far as economics go, I'm a fan of the Austrian school.

My only disagreement with you is on the republican party. The original "party of Lincoln" did oppose most facets of government coercion, but the mess that the party is in today is quite the opposite. They consistently vote for more coercion, and for more individual oppression by supporting such legislation as the NDAA, cispa, and the patriot act.

They also are consistently encouraging more military interventions, and a foreign policy that makes enemies for us rather then friends. That background then allows them to push a repressive domestic policy agenda that the original "party of Lincoln" would find as deplorable today as the Libertarians do.

I'd also say that we have already been living in a feudal society (of variable aspects) since at the very least, our civil war.

The LP of America is not perfect, but it is the best thing going for us at the moment. Before we can move to a form of government we want (or lack there of), we have to begin to deconstruct the major bloat of our current, and inefficient government. We must start somewhere, and it is most definitely not with a federal vote for "D" or "R".

OC for ME

You have a lot to learn about who controls the media.
You have a lot to learn about marketing and self promotion. It is not the job of the media to promote Gary Johnson. I admit that the media is in the tank for Obama and, depending on your political persuasion, Romney, and this does not "help" Gary Johnson. But, if Gary Johnson wants to be "known" it is all on him and his "party."

Tactical9mm

New Hampshire locals update

The two New Hampshire incumbent candidates for the US House of Representatives have demonstrated by their voting records, that they are enemies of the US Constitution. Having supported bills like cispa, the NDAA of 2012, and various patriot act re-authorizations, it is quite clear that supporting liberty is not on their congressional agendas.

http://www.opencongress.org/people/representatives#NH

will allow you to see their voting records. Any anti-liberty piece of legislation that you can think of, I'd bet they voted for it.

The alternative this election is not the other side of the duopoly. We have Libertarian candidates in place that need your support.

Hardy Macia in the 2nd district, and Brendan Kelly in the 1st district. Both of these candidates are as true pro-gun as you can get, AND support the concepts of personal liberty.

Let's fire Guinta and Bass and get some real patriots in there to represent us.

Please take a look at the other Libertarian candidates on the ballot, and consider giving them your support as well.

Last edited: