• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Fun times had responding to security incident at my company office

darthmord

imported post

Fun times Saturday just after noon. Got a call from the security monitoring company that takes care of our alarm system. Apparently the system generated a break-in alert. Okay, not a big deal. Important, yes. Life stopping, no.

They called the entire call list (5 people) and I was the only one they could reach. I'm the last person on the list. That's a big deal.

So I verify with them who I am and what location I'm calling for. I have them also call for the local police department (Norfolk PD) to show up.

**Yes, I know some of you are groaning right now. It's okay.**

I get dressed for going outside in dismal crappy weather (my favorite kind). I also put on my OC firearm and also my CC firearm. If I'm responding to a security event, I'm not going unprepared. I grab my keys, ID Badge, & cell phone and out the door I go.

I called the office manager to let him know what was going on. I get to the office a couple of minutes later (I live a few exits on the highway from the office).

I am greeted at the door by one of the guys who works at the office. He explains that when he came in he turned off the alarm. He also stated that to his knowledge, no one else had come in (you need an ID badge to go anywhere in the office). I asked him to show me how he turned it off. He did and it turned out he had turned off the alarm improperly which caused the alarm.

Norfolk PD shows up a couple minutes after that. I show him my ID (alarm company gave my name as the POC as part of the alert to Norfolk PD). I explained what I had found out at that point. The NPD Officer asked if I needed him further.

At that point, I told him "I haven't done a sweep of the building to ensure all parts are clear other than the front / entry office." I invited him to come inside with me to do the sweep. Before we entered the building, I informed him I was carrying two firearms, one OC and the other CC. He thanked me for giving him a heads up and for being prepared. He went on to say "I hate surprises". That, I can understand given the line of work. I told him the reason for it was that I don't like going into the unknown without having some tools to even the odds. His response "Makes perfect sense."

**Note: He was completely nonchalant about me carrying. That was somewhat surprising IMO given recent news involving the NPD.**

We completed the sweep and found all doors & windows were properly secured & safe.

Unfortunately, I did NOT get the officer's name but I think it was Rodriguez. He was a shorter Hispanic officer. Dark hair, 150-180 lbs. Tatoos on his forearms. Spoke excellent English with hardly any accent.

He got it. He had no issue with another person carrying. I need to find out what precinct covers the area my main office is located in. I want to let his boss know that I appreciated the professional service.

Anyone know off the top of their head which precinct covers the Military Hwy & Robin Hood Road area?

*EDIT* incorporated Grapeshot's correction and cleaned up that sentence. Thanks again!

Sleepless

imported post

I don't know if this will help or not seeing as I don't understand the Norfolk Patrol Divisions and everything but I might have found some information that might be helpful.

The area around the intersection of N Military Hwy and Robin Hood Road is handled by Second Patrol Division Gold Sector.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

darthmord wrote:
snip......
We completed the sweep and found all doors were properly secured and all windows were safe & secure.
Fixed it for you, no = all.

It surely cannot hurt to let Norfolk see that we appreciate LEO's understanding and acceptance of OC.

Yata hey

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

Same thing happens to me right next to Dulles.. The only difference(s). I am the first to call. I tell my alarm company that when they dispatch the police to tell THEM what kind of car I am in, what color pants and shirt and that I am armed... even tho I don't "count" on that info making it to the responding officer.. I know it is getting on tape at the alarm company and/or police dispatch.

Ed

darthmord

imported post

Thanks Grapeshot. It was late when I posted. I am not surprised thatone or two errors would creep in.

Good point Ed. I neglected to mention that part. The alarm company did ask me for a description of my vehicle and license plate number which I gave.

I was very happy to see that this NPD officer had no issues with a citizen being armed.

Sproggy

imported post

darthmord wrote:
I was very happy to see that this NPD officer had no issues with a citizen being armed.
I think youll find this to be the case MOST of the time. Where is your office?

darthmord

imported post

The office I work out of is different than the one I'm attached to. I work in Chesapeake at a client's site (government contractor). But the office I'm attached to is in the Norfolk Business Commerce Park (think that's the name of it) near the intersection of Military Highway & Robin Hood Road.

(For you military types, you have a duty station and a TAD location. The office I'm attached to would be my duty station. Where I work would be my TAD location)

I am still on the alarm recall bill because at one point I used to work directly in that office as on-site support. I switched to supporting a client-site contract 1.5 years ago. I only live about 5 minutes from that office (literally, just a few exits down 64E). As such, I can respond to issues faster than anyone else except one guy who lives about a mile closer (he's also on the recall list).

I'm just glad that it was a non-event and nothing wasrequired except a little remedial training on the alarm panel for the employee who set it off.

Neplusultra

imported post

ed wrote:
Same thing happens to me right next to Dulles.. The only difference(s). I am the first to call. I tell my alarm company that when they dispatch the police to tell THEM what kind of car I am in, what color pants and shirt and that I am armed... even tho I don't "count" on that info making it to the responding officer.. I know it is getting on tape at the alarm company and/or police dispatch.

Ed
Sounds like a good idea!

Sproggy

imported post

That is the second patrol division(second precinct) Gold Sector.