• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting in and Out of Vehicles

Reade45

I do not have a Concealed Carry Permit, is it necessary for my to take my pistol out of its holster when getting into the car and then replacing it when standing up upon exit? Thanks.

eye95

Please notice that both the person who responded to your post and I both have our States in our location field.

Because, as Defender says, it matters.

You will also get more and better replies if you ask this question in the subforum for your State.

Welcome to the most rational site on the Internet. Please remain a part of that rationality.

XD40sc

There is the 'state law' aspect to this question

and.......

there is the ND aspect to this question. ND's occur when a gun is handled and holstering/un-holstering always has the chance of a ND. Civilians do it, cops do it.

Reade45

Well my state is North Carolina, sorry for being so apparently "irrational" by failing to include it. And eye95, you talk like a dick.

However XD40 has come the closest to answering my question by referring to a potential "ND", although I have no idea what that stands for. I want to avoid brandishing as well as unlawfully concealing my weapon.

eye95

As you mentioned a Concealed Carry Permit, it was reasonable to think that you were talking about legalities--which vary greatly from State to State. I appreciate your take on me and will refrain from giving you advice in the future. The advice to put your State in your location and to post rationally here (as you did in your OP) are fairly universally accepted advice around here. However, if you perceive such a being a dick, I don't have to give advice, friendly as intended in my response, or otherwise. Feel free to continue as you have.

However, to point out how State law even affects the possibility of ND when getting out of a car: In both Ohio (where I currently live) and in Alabama (where I lived for twenty years), in regard to carry in a car with a LCH or a CHL, respectively, you may carry in your car exactly as you do outside of your car, meaning that no manipulation of the firearm is necessary when entering or exiting, eliminating any possibility of a ND, which you now seem to indicate was your real concern all along.

In Alabama, there is no provision in the law for carry in a car without a CHL. In Ohio, you may have a firearm in your car without a LCH. It just must be unloaded and in a separately closing container from the loaded magazine. State law, which varies greatly from State to State, still affects the answer, even if your concern is NDs.

I don't know about NC, which is why knowing your State when you ask a question is so critical to the answer.

Despite your reply, welcome anyway.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

eye95

That's just the way I talk. JmE expressed surprise the first time he met me that I really talk that way. I believe in clear communication. If you don't like it, I ain't gonna change. Get over it or be constantly annoyed. Your choice, not my concern. Welcome anyway.

ND = negligent discharge. A lot of folks here say there is no such a thing as an accidental discharge (AD). My jury is still out on that one.

<o>

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Well my state is North Carolina, sorry for being so apparently "irrational" by failing to include it. And eye95, you talk like a dick.

However XD40 has come the closest to answering my question by referring to a potential "ND", although I have no idea what that stands for. I want to avoid brandishing as well as unlawfully concealing my weapon.

A word to the (un)wise. This is not going to ingratiate you with the members on this site. Some of our members to have an approach which might lead one to believe them to be, well, less than polite and civil. But just the same, coming in new and make a comment such as you did here is not going to be viewed in a favorable light. The fact that eye95 didn't jump on your face for this says a bit for his composure.

Just a thought and a suggestion.

Logan 5

I dunno. I always thought that eye was a fair minded fella, though he tends to go ape on us once in a while. :p

Some people that are new to the idea of having so much as a firearm really are not as educated as those of us that have been around guns all our lives. Sometimes I encounter people that have no idea that a state can have regulations on firearms (though I think if those law and regulations are contrary to the US Constitution it also means they are really null and void).

So why not put a sticky up telling newbies this? That way it solves all of this before anything like this happens again.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I do not have a Concealed Carry Permit, is it necessary for my to take my pistol out of its holster when getting into the car and then replacing it when standing up upon exit? Thanks.

Yes, ND meant "Negligent Discharge" in this context.

We should avoid all unnecessary administrative handling of our sidearm. Some of us may prefer to use a different location for a sidearm when in a vehicle, depending on how difficult it is to access when seated inside. The best choice is a second gun in the vehicle, but if not possible (or you wish not to leave a firearm in the vehicle) you will just have to be extremely careful when transferring the firearm every time and others who see you doing such administrative handling can sometimes take it the wrong way.

Only a few states require this song and dance for those without a permit. I do not know about North Carolina.

Jamesm760

Again, welcome to the forums, we have some characters on here. First time on here I kinda felt like I was being attacked for no reason. Now I seem to enjoy his "a$$h**e" attitude. :lol:

XD40sc

ND = Negligent Discharge, failure to keep the booger hook off the bang switch

NC and no CHP, the gun must be visible to a LEO that approaches the drivers door if it is in reach of the driver or passenger. Though I have not seen it spelled out, common advise is that it should be on the passenger seat or dashboard, and cannot be covered by a hat or coat or anything else.

I would not worry about brandishing or NC's favorite GATTTOTP (going armed to the terror of the public) catch all if you un-holster and place on the seat without waving it around, and re-holster in a similar manner. I do have a CHP and I have a vehicle holster mounted in my vehicle that is not visible, to provide accessibility to my gun, as a 3 o'clock IWB holster and seatbelt would restrict access to my gun. I will un-holster and put it in the vehicle holster, and reverse procedure when I get out of the vehicle. Use my body to block the view for most people. Just don't make a show out of it.

XD40sc

That's just the way I talk. JmE expressed surprise the first time he met me that I really talk that way. I believe in clear communication. If you don't like it, I ain't gonna change. Get over it or be constantly annoyed. Your choice, not my concern. Welcome anyway.

ND = negligent discharge. A lot of folks here say there is no such a thing as an accidental discharge (AD). My jury is still out on that one.

<o>

AD, the gun went off when no human hand was on the gun. Dropped gun that discharges, but that POS should never be a carry weapon to begin with. And we all drop things, or flew off the seat, hit the floorboard and discharged. (seen articles on both)

ND, booger hook on bang switch.

WalkingWolf

I don't think eye95 was being a Richard, at least not this time. (chuckle)

OTH I am a card carrying rectal cavern, and darn proud of it. Just thought I would get that out of the way.

There are no laws as to carry in a vehicle, only laws to concealed weapons. If you can reach your weapon in your vehicle. And it is concealed, such as a bag, coat, or what would be concealed outside the vehicle then it is concealed. I do not believe that people have had a problem in this state with a properly holstered firearm in a vehicle. To be honest I find it uncomfortable, unless it is a short trip, most times going down the highway mine is buckled around the seat back. Which puts the firearm in a position to be clearly seen, and ready access. But then I carry a revolver with a 5.5 inch barrel. I find it easier and safer to unbuckle my gun belt then taking a gun in and out of the holster.

WalkingWolf

ND = Negligent Discharge, failure to keep the booger hook off the bang switch

NC and no CHP, the gun must be visible to a LEO that approaches the drivers door if it is in reach of the driver or passenger. Though I have not seen it spelled out, common advise is that it should be on the passenger seat or dashboard, and cannot be covered by a hat or coat or anything else.

I would not worry about brandishing or NC's favorite GATTTOTP (going armed to the terror of the public) catch all if you un-holster and place on the seat without waving it around, and re-holster in a similar manner. I do have a CHP and I have a vehicle holster mounted in my vehicle that is not visible, to provide accessibility to my gun, as a 3 o'clock IWB holster and seatbelt would restrict access to my gun. I will un-holster and put it in the vehicle holster, and reverse procedure when I get out of the vehicle. Use my body to block the view for most people. Just don't make a show out of it.

I have been stopped for inspections, and the sidearm could not be seen by FHP/DOT as they approached. When I exited the vehicle for a walk around inspection, not one word was ever said by them. If the officer cannot see the open carried legally holstered sidearm, then he does not know it's there, if he can see it then it is not concealed. AFAIK in NC properly holstered sidearms have not been a problem in NC in a vehicle.

Don't wear a jacket over your gun, Don't let a untucked shirt cover your gun, even partially.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
Do all keep in mind that any openly carried handgun in a holster is going to be invisible to someone all of the time... including police. People cannot see through your body so a fair amount of degrees is going to have that gun hidden from common observation. However since an openly carried handgun is not being concealed by intent then none of this matters.

This includes restaurant booths. You enter a restaurant with you OC'd gun and are directed to a booth. You take a seat putting your sidearm against the wall where it is not able to be seen. Is it concealed? No, of course not. You just happened to be seated in that manner. Of you are at a table in a chair which happens to be next to a wall or maybe a column. Same thing. You have not taken a conscious effort to conceal that gun.

You are stopped by a police officer for something and are OC'ing in your car. Your gun is up close to your center console but is openly carried and is not being covered by a shirt of coat. Is it concealed? No, it's not. You are standing at a magazine display looking over some magazines when a police officer comes up and also peruses the display standing on your weak side. He cannot see you gun. Is that gun concealed? Again, of course not.

Some state laws may have provisions where you cannot keep that gun in a holster while in your car unless you have a concealed carry permit so definitely check with your own state's statutes first. What I have written is what we have here in Virginia so others mileage may vary.

Elm Creek Smith

Do all keep in mind that any openly carried handgun in a holster is going to be invisible to someone all of the time... including police. People cannot see through your body so a fair amount of degrees is going to have that gun hidden from common observation.

That's why I usually carry two revolvers, one on each side!:cool:

ECS

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
That's why I usually carry two revolvers, one on each side!:cool:

ECS

One in front and one in back? :p

Seriously, your "logic" is flawed, as you are doubling the possibilities of someone not being able to see all your guns from all angles all the time.

We all need to understand the peculiarities of the laws in the state(s) where we spend our time. For instance, In Va I can carry on my belt in my car with no problem, buty once I cross into NC I have to do some sort of administrative touching shift that increases the odds of a ND by 10[SUP]infinity[/SUP]. (If I don't touch it I can't have a ND.) Makes driving in NC just that much more dangerous - though I'm thinking the lack of driving skills of folks in Raleigh/Wake County is by itself more dangerous .

stay safe.