• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock Question number nine-billion and seven-hundred and fifty-million!

DWCook

Activist Member
My current carry pistol is an FMH FNS 9mm. Getting pretty tired of having a hard time finding accessories that work with this piece. Also a lot of the stores around me don't even carry much of anything FNH. Is the current generation Glock 22 9mm/.40 caliber still a worth while pistol to buy for daily carry? Reason why I ask is because finding gear and accessories locally is much easier with Glock. One of the major gun stores here in Kansas got completely shut down and now we just got the small local guys and Center-Fire.

Just need a good recommendation for a daily carry. I might go back to conceal carrying, but finding the right concealing sidearm is quite annoying for me.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Yes the current Glocks are fine handguns any of the major manufactures make fine hand guns.

The two handguns I carry mostly on a daily basics are a gen 2 model 23 and a Ruger SR1911.

I do own and carry many other on occasion.

But then is no use in beating up others as every day carry can be hard on guns.

Unless I would do major damage to the Glock I well not be reducing the value any more.

I do own Gen 3 and 4s. they work just fine.

Last edited:

solus

a favour, define ~ can't find accessories, what are you seeking for your fine FNH 9 that aftermarket sources are unable to provide from AL's invention!

as for a new carry firearm, might i suggest you look at the 5.7, an exemplary firearm and carry piece, either OC or CC mode as your whims dictates?

as for finding & purchasing accessories, i understand the business mentality of your local mom & pop gun store stocking their shelves up on after market product to meet the local LE clientele's carry pieces, but what pray tell will happen after you switch firearms brands just to obtain 'accessories' and at the end of this year, the local department(s) switch to beretta 92s? guess you are back at square one, w/o accessories but a new firearm!

ipse

vMac

That's odd cause where Im at its harder to find glock parts here. I have a 26 and a 19, I usually have to order all my stuff online or drive to Vegas to find a store that carries glock items

Im stationed somewhere in NC and they auction off parts that sell quick which I think is ridiculous. So IMO ordering online is the way to go, waiting sucks but its better than going to every gun shop and them not having the part you need

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

The closers store besides the few things at wal-mart is 45 miles from where I live and they are fairly small and do not stock much so ordering on line is the way to go.

DWCook

Activist Member
Part of me misses carrying a Glock and another part of misses the fact that accessories are easier to obtain in my area. Guess maybe I'm getting bored with my piece or I just need some hardware. The current generation Glock looks pretty sharp to me is partial reason why I've considered. One thing major right now, I can't find a good holster for my FNH FNS 9mm that looks clean and sharp when OCing as most other brands I've seen.

WalkingWolf

I always have a problem with buying a perfect gun, and then go changing parts on the gun. Could it be the gun is not actually perfect?

As far as holsters, and such there are custom holster makers for any firearm if you can't find production holsters. The only part I change on handguns is the grips, and sometimes the sights. Maybe if you tell us what accessory you are looking for we can help.

DWCook

Activist Member
I always have a problem with buying a perfect gun, and then go changing parts on the gun. Could it be the gun is not actually perfect?

As far as holsters, and such there are custom holster makers for any firearm if you can't find production holsters. The only part I change on handguns is the grips, and sometimes the sights. Maybe if you tell us what accessory you are looking for we can help.

Always had an itch with replacing the barrel possibly with something as bit different. I want to spruce it up, maybe change the outside appearance of her a bit. Also sites are a definite as mine are just the standard double white. I want to get a better holster, but needs to be secured to where it's safe to OC. Kind of like something a bit nicer looking, possible leather or a nicer Kidex piece that doesn't look so "Police Tactic" wise.

solus

IMG_0219.JPG

oh you just want a prudy new gun...go with this 9 mm sig tribal...

quite handsome but heavy to carry

ipse

WalkingWolf

Always had an itch with replacing the barrel possibly with something as bit different. I want to spruce it up, maybe change the outside appearance of her a bit. Also sites are a definite as mine are just the standard double white. I want to get a better holster, but needs to be secured to where it's safe to OC. Kind of like something a bit nicer looking, possible leather or a nicer Kidex piece that doesn't look so "Police Tactic" wise.

Sprucing up a Glock? Sounds like putting lipstick on a pig. Why not just buy a pretty gun to start with, I suggest a CZ, double stack, extremely accurate, outstanding SA trigger, safe DA trigger, plus a wide selection of holsters. All for the price of a new Glock.

Most retention holsters are going to look police. My holster have varied retention, and varied styles, but the only triple retention I have is very police(Don Hume). Most of my holsters are homemade, they are tight, very tight, and use a leather thong retention. Works extremely well, is not noticeable, fast to undo, but will not come undone while the gun is being pulled up. It must be undone before any draw.

I am more concerned with keeping my distance from people than retention. If someone is already trying to get your gun by force you have problems. Where you wear your gun is also important, the popular OWB carry is behind the hip, I do not do this, mine is always at 3 or slightly less. If I go to the restroom since it forces staring at the wall I move it as far forward as I can. Most of the gun grabs, which there are few, have come from poor carry like small of the back, or back pocket. I also believe that cross draw offers more protection if the gun is carried properly. At 11 o'clock the gun is not as accessible from the back, and by turning strong side, or what we used to call the T stance puts the gun further away from the front. Very few police carry cross draw, and there are a multitude of cross draw holsters on the market. I prefer a cross draw of no more than 15 rake, preferable 10 degree, this is about the rake of combination pancake holsters which can be found very plain, and very fancy. I am guessing you could find one for well under the cost of a new gun, probably around 100 dollars.

https://www.americasgunstore.com/pr...htning-two-way-holster-for-gun-group-107-4-0/

00440_ul_rh_bl_bw_pistol_058-3.5.jpg

$109 for lined basket weave strong hand, or cross draw holster with thumb snap retention for the FN. Keep in mind that most of their holsters are special order and take several weeks. Also available in brown basketweave, I just could not find an image.

I have one of these for my model 64, Don Hume triple retention, no longer made I had to search for it. Found one new for $15 on ebay.

s-l225.jpg

Last edited:

DWCook

Activist Member
Sprucing up a Glock? Sounds like putting lipstick on a pig. Why not just buy a pretty gun to start with, I suggest a CZ, double stack, extremely accurate, outstanding SA trigger, safe DA trigger, plus a wide selection of holsters. All for the price of a new Glock.

Most retention holsters are going to look police. My holster have varied retention, and varied styles, but the only triple retention I have is very police(Don Hume). Most of my holsters are homemade, they are tight, very tight, and use a leather thong retention. Works extremely well, is not noticeable, fast to undo, but will not come undone while the gun is being pulled up. It must be undone before any draw.

I am more concerned with keeping my distance from people than retention. If someone is already trying to get your gun by force you have problems. Where you wear your gun is also important, the popular OWB carry is behind the hip, I do not do this, mine is always at 3 or slightly less. If I go to the restroom since it forces staring at the wall I move it as far forward as I can. Most of the gun grabs, which there are few, have come from poor carry like small of the back, or back pocket. I also believe that cross draw offers more protection if the gun is carried properly. At 11 o'clock the gun is not as accessible from the back, and by turning strong side, or what we used to call the T stance puts the gun further away from the front. Very few police carry cross draw, and there are a multitude of cross draw holsters on the market. I prefer a cross draw of no more than 15 rake, preferable 10 degree, this is about the rake of combination pancake holsters which can be found very plain, and very fancy. I am guessing you could find one for well under the cost of a new gun, probably around 100 dollars.

https://www.americasgunstore.com/pr...htning-two-way-holster-for-gun-group-107-4-0/

00440_ul_rh_bl_bw_pistol_058-3.5.jpg

$109 for lined basket weave strong hand, or cross draw holster with thumb snap retention for the FN. Keep in mind that most of their holsters are special order and take several weeks. Also available in brown basketweave, I just could not find an image.

I have one of these for my model 64, Don Hume triple retention, no longer made I had to search for it. Found one new for $15 on ebay.

s-l225.jpg

Been looking at these, also been looking at getting a subcompact model sidearm too!