• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock sight pusher?

Snake161

Hello everybody, I am wanting to install my trijicon nights on my Glock 30, but I am very finicky about taking it to smiths' due to very bad experiences in the past. I can't see myself using the pusher more than this time, since most of the time I purchase my guns with nights installed. So anyway, is there anybody in the area (Appleton) that might have one I could borrow, if not close, I know some people are putting the cost of the tool down as a "gift" in paypal, and then having the money sent back after the tool is sent back safely. Just curious, otherwise I'll have to come up with something else. Thanks everybody.

Fast Ed

I just had the same problem, except mine was a S&W M&P. I debated buying the cheap site pusher or using a punch to drive the new sights in. Tritium vials are "delicate" at least in the sense of firearms and should not be driven in with a punch. I found a local 'smith with a $500 sight pusher that did it for me for $30, including laser sighting it after sight install. The impact that the sight sees from recoil is mitigated by the design of the sight itself. The impact from driving it with a punch is different and can crack the vials, ruining the sight.

Take it to you local Gander Mountain. Even they should be able to do it with a sight pusher, if you can't find anyone else.

Fast Ed

Snake161

Yeah, exactly why I was looking for a sight pusher. Thank you for the info about the punch, and that is how I would do it if they were standard sights. However, that is why I want the sight pusher because of the tritium vials. Like I said, I am just very nervous to have somebody else work on my guns. Thanks everybody!

Trip20

I had no idea the vials were so fragile. Sorry for almost steering you the wrong way.

Viper

Snake, I don't know if this will help, but here goes.

I replaced the front and rear stock sights on my Glock 36 with XS Big Dot sights.

The stock sights are plastic and the rear sight will pretty much push out of the dovetail using a piece of wood. The stock front sight popped right out.

The directions to fit the rear XS sight indicated to use something flat and abrasive to remove some stock just until it would slide into the dovetail, which is then tightened down using 2 ultra small allen screws.

The directions to fit the front XS sight indicated to use the same method on the small headed bolt removing just enough of the bolt face stock until when installed and completely assembled would allow the slide to function normally.

Believe it or not I just used a fingernail file to remove enough material on both the front and rear XS sights until they fit properly.

I don't know what you need to do for your chosen sights....just wanted to let you know how I installed my XS sights.

JJC

I let the shop where I purchased the Tritium Night Sites install and site them in. That way other than the cost of the sites, mounting was free. I didn't have to worry about breakage either, they break during installation they pay for the replacement set.

I'm not sure why your worried about somebody else working on your weapons. I wouldn't think that any shop would take the chance and have anybody that's NOT experienced doing gun-smithing for them.

JMHO

JJC

Trip20

For what it's worth I contacted the gunsmith the video and asked if they use the same install procedure with nights sights containing tritium vials. He said yes they do. I guess they're not as fragile as we thought.

Last edited: