• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Going to WA on a trip.

JTknives

imported post

I live in Utah and over Christmas i will be flying to Washington (my home state, Born and raised)and like always will have my gun that i open carry. my question is this, are there open carry laws much different then Utah's. Utah: Open carry is legal with out a permit if it takes 2 actions to fire and the gun is unloaded. so that means that you can have a full mag but nothing in the chamber. I do not have a CCP as i don't carry concealed and have not really wanted to have one as it should be my right to carry with out having to jump through hoops. thanks guys for the help.

swatspyder

imported post

JTknives wrote:
I live in Utah and over Christmas i will be flying to Washington (my home state, Born and raised)and like always will have my gun that i open carry. my question is this, are there open carry laws much different then Utah's. Utah: Open carry is legal with out a permit if it takes 2 actions to fire and the gun is unloaded. so that means that you can have a full mag but nothing in the chamber. I do not have a CCP as i don't carry concealed and have not really wanted to have one as it should be my right to carry with out having to jump through hoops. thanks guys for the help.
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum55/15411.html

Without a CPL from WA, you can carry loaded +1 in the chamber anywhere you are on foot in public. There are certain areas that you cannot carry a firearm into, read through the link above. Inside of any vehicle, without a CPL, you will have to be unloaded, chamber clear and magazine separated from the firearm. And don't go within 1000 feet of any public schools.

FMCDH

imported post

swatspyder wrote:
JTknives wrote:

Without a CPL from WA, you can carry loaded +1 in the chamber anywhere you are on foot in public. There are certain areas that you cannot carry a firearm into, read through the link above. Inside of any vehicle, without a CPL, you will have to be unloaded, chamber clear and magazine separated from the firearm. And don't go within 1000 feet of any public schools.
JTKnives, don't get too hug up on theGFSZA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun-Free_School_Zones_Act_of_1990

WashingtonState does not subscribe to this law or its 1995 replacement. Local and state LE will notarrest forit, and no one in the history of its current federal incarnation has ever been arrested in ANY state in the union that didn't have this law, or one similar,for its own.

As far as the researchers on this board can find, anyone who has ever been charged with a GFSZA violationwas first arrested and charged with some other crime, and GFSZA was a tack on after the fact.

It has never happened in Washington State as far as I am aware, but if someone can show that it has, that would be interesting.

JTknives

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
swatspyder wrote:

There is no need to separate the magazine from the handgun. You can have an empty magazine in the gun, or you can have a loaded magazine anywhere except loaded in the gun.
thats good to hear as my extended family I'm staying with live right by a school. and i had worried about walking to and from a store or just being close. thats great that i can have one in the chamber. the xd45 in the picture was my gun but i sold it and have a glock 20 10MM now :celebrate:what::celebrate. i liked the XD 45 but i carry my gun in the woods a lot and needed 4 legged critter protection as well.