• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got Carded at WaWa

JTHunter2

How many of you still use paper checks? There is a similar problem here in Ill-Annoy. I don't know the specific law as it has been over a decade since I looked it up and it may have changed.

About 15 years ago, I took my phone number off of my checks for security reasons. You have probably heard of stories where, to protect your identity, you are not supposed to put your Social Securtiy number or Driver's License numbers on your checks. Unfortunately, Ill-Annoy requires us to give the vendor our DL number IF they ask. Nothing in the law says we have to put our phone number on the check. Over the last 15 years, I have had problems at stores like Lowe's, Home Depot, Menard's, Hobby Lobby, assorted grocers, etc., with not having a number on the check. The cashiers have usually called some member of management where I "school" them on the law's requirements. In MOST cases, these "requests" are COMPANY POLICY with no basis in law. Lowe's, Menard's, and Hobby Lobby have been particularly obtuse about this and I have, on several occasions walked out without the merchandise, making sure they knew I would buy these items elsewhere.

Things have improved over the last several years and I rarely get asked anymore. When I do, I just say I don't have a phone. They don't like hearing that but they allow the sale to proceed.

And NO, I do not have a debit card. It bugs me no end that many of the checks I write now (Wal-Fart was one of the first to start this #$%&) use "electronic payment". That's why I won't get or use a debit card. (I don't even like "electronic deposits" !!)

solus

Snippppp..

3. When I process a firearm sale, I temporarily take into my possession the purchaser’s military ID and DL. If they refuse to hand them over to me, the sale will simply not happen. So a blanket Do-not-hand-your-ID-to-anyone policy might not always be effective. A better policy would be: Be judicious when deciding to whom to hand your ID.

According to AR215/AFI 34-211(l)
C-3(f)
f. Firearms and ammunition. Firearms and ammunition are authorized exchange sale items. Firearms will be sold in compliance with federal laws and regulations. [Overseas sales discussed and not germane]

A review of ATF regs doesn’t reveal any type mandates for holding buyer’s id(s).

So its a policy eye95 but not mandated on any type of AAFES army/af governances.

Last edited:

solus

ENT might not agree with you perception of protection.
**Visa’s Zero Liability policy covers U.S. issued cards only and does not apply to ATM transactions, PIN transactions not processed by Visa, or certain commercial card transactions. Cardholder must notify Ent promptly of any unauthorized use.

Account qualifications apply.

Cash only

eye95

Checks can be used to hack your entire account. My Debit Card carries the same protections as a credit card.
I recommend double-checking that (unless you already have). Credit card policies are more universal in scope. Debit card protections vary from issuing bank to issuing bank. Max, my bank (and the one from which Mrs. eye retired) gives our debit cards the same protection that credit cards are given, but not all banks do.

HPmatt

In TX your DL has encoded on the magstrip - DOB, Date of Issue, address and a few other things. I think a few things less than what is actually printed on the license, audit # for one. Also the DOB is embossed on the card in raised #s too.

I like that credit cards limit your loss to $50 if fraud - debit card w/o pin acts as a credit card too, with limited liability. Visa/MC agreement requires merchants to check photo ID, so Best Buy is wary with big screen TV purchases; also with stolen cards, one of the first places crooks head is to gas station pump to get gas w/o using pin, but need billing address zip code.

eye95

Are you sure about Visa/MC agreements requiring merchants to check photo ID?

This has been discussed at length before on this site. At the time of those discussions, checking photo ID was prohibited under most circumstances by the merchant agreement.

I think you might also want to check on your claims about debit cards w/o pins. Ours are protected because our bank (for whom my wife worked before retiring) provided the protection. According to her, some banks do; some don’t.