• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Got myself a 1911!

Marco

shotgunnewscalendar.jpgThis is what my EDC looks like ,except mine has a 6"bbl.

Attachments

• webpistol.jpg
    webpistol.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:

Baked on Grease

why not just buy 1911 with all them upgrades already on it?

Because I want to do them myself, and I don't have $1900 to spend on a gun that has upgrades, but way way more than I want or need.

Start small and simple and in a few years I will have the perfect gun for me. Let me play with a "basic" model for a while to get a feel for what i'd like to change so I don't end up spending too much on it.

As an aside, I went to the range yesterday, blew 400 rounds of Federal and only 3 FTF. Upon closer inspection it was not the gun, but the rounds themselves at fault, they were set low and cockeyed in the cartridge (set too low and uneven) and further attempts to feed were fruitless for those rounds. Don't worry, I was not about to fire thwm if the fed, just was confirming that it was the bullet not the mag or the hin itself.

While I didn't get any slide bite, after 400 rounds the webbing between my thumb and forefinger was quite red and sore. I am wondering if getting a beavertail safety would help with this. More material to brace against I am thinking...

Also, I really do need to change the front sight post, it is horrendous to do double taps with.

Sent using tapatalk

matt2636

Because I want to do them myself, and I don't have $1900 to spend on a gun that has upgrades, but way way more than I want or need.

Start small and simple and in a few years I will have the perfect gun for me. Let me play with a "basic" model for a while to get a feel for what i'd like to change so I don't end up spending too much on it.

As an aside, I went to the range yesterday, blew 400 rounds of Federal and only 3 FTF. Upon closer inspection it was not the gun, but the rounds themselves at fault, they were set low and cockeyed in the cartridge (set too low and uneven) and further attempts to feed were fruitless for those rounds. Don't worry, I was not about to fire thwm if the fed, just was confirming that it was the bullet not the mag or the hin itself.

While I didn't get any slide bite, after 400 rounds the webbing between my thumb and forefinger was quite red and sore. I am wondering if getting a beavertail safety would help with this. More material to brace against I am thinking...

Also, I really do need to change the front sight post, it is horrendous to do double taps with.

Sent using tapatalk

nothing wrong with that as long as its not a carry/duty gun. i spent 1200 on a kimber and got pretty much all the upgrades you need. and after buying upgrades thats about how much your gun will cost anyway except you dont have to wait for parts or anything. im sure springfield can do the same upgrades from the factory but i bet its gunna cost pretty close if not more than 1000. yeah if its not a carry gun see what you like and experiment. when you start swapping parts or polishing stuff though be prepared to have some issues. you may or may not have issues im just sayin dont be suprised if you do.

jahwarrior

i would swap out and/or work on internals before doing anything to the outside. for one, change the recoil spring to an 18 lb spring. then maybe do a trigger job, so it breaks at 4 lbs. if you have hammerbite issues, then you might want to change the hammer to a Commander style one.

EirikBlodok

congrats.....my first 1911 was also a spring mil-spec. I have over 10000rds with only 1 mod and that was a new barrel at around 5000 rounds......maybe some day I'll do something more with it.....only reason for the new barrel was my groups were starting to open up a bit more that I liked.....a very good handgun IMOP.....

g17585

I have that gun.

I bought the same exact 1911 and I love it. All I've done so far is put on the extended safety (I'm lefty so the ambi was also a must) and I couldn't be happier. I think I'll get the extended beavertail safety and maybe SS screws for the grips. I love the wooden grips that it comes with, I hate the plastic ones though.

Excellent choice of a gun!

Joe Reeser

I don't plan on doing intricate things like a trigger job myself, but stuff like parts swapping I should be okay, I can mill stuff down to make it fit properly, and after each mod a bunch more ammo to ensure function.

Congrats on your first 1911. :banana: There's really no such thing as "parts swapping" on one however. Maybe the guide rod and the springs but that's about it. Any fire control and safety parts need to be hand fitted to your particular gun. This requires jewelers files, an Arkansas stone or two or three and perhaps a felt wheel with some jewelers rouge. This is one reason 1911s aren't known for being inexpensive. They were designed in a time when machining was expensive and hand labor was cheap. That's rather reversed these days. That being said there's nothing in this world as sweet as a good 1911 trigger.

As far as the factory mags go, I would keep them. They're made by Metalform and are good mags. I've never had any problem with mine. That being said, I do carry Wilson Combat 47Ds for the +1 in capacity and have never had a problem with them either. If I ever need to replace those I'll probably go with the Wilson ETMs. The 47Ds are essentially 7-round mags modified to be 8-rounders. The ETMs were designed from the ground up as 8-rounders. Both exhibit exceptional reliability. So do the factory mags.

matt2636

congrats.....my first 1911 was also a spring mil-spec. I have over 10000rds with only 1 mod and that was a new barrel at around 5000 rounds......maybe some day I'll do something more with it.....only reason for the new barrel was my groups were starting to open up a bit more that I liked.....a very good handgun IMOP.....

your groups started to open up at 5000 rounds? eek. did you run your gun hard? i was under the impression a .45 barrel should last longer then your life and grand kids life. unless you do competetion. even then your .45 rounds arnt as "hot" as 9mm or .40 even +p .45 ammo aint that bad. maybe im wrong but i reasearched it and a .45 barrel should last you well into the 100000 range. i read that and it seemed odd to me.