• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Granger boy reportedly shot dad, a state trooper, with service weapon over video games

OC for ME

Thia thread is not about the incident. It is about a statutory requirement to lock our guns up.
The boy got the gun from Makowski’s locked police vehicle, parked outside the family’s home on Conover Drive in Granger, the records show.

Makowski later told police he kept his weapon locked in his vehicle because he did not want his kids to have access to it.

Should the cop be held to account for not adequately securing his duty sidearm.

eye95

Not criminally. Secondary laws don’t stop primary crime.

Not civilly—only because he was the victim of his own negligence. However, had someone else been shot by the 11-yo because he gained access to the gun, you betcha.

Ghost1958

Not civilly—only because he was the victim of his own negligence. However, had someone else been shot by the 11-yo because he gained access to the gun, you betcha.

Not criminally, nor civily.

Want to charge the shooter. Kid or adult have at it.

This garbage of charging one person for what someone else did is a good part of what I'd wrong with this country.

eye95

Bringing civil suit is not “charging”.

It is one person, asking a jury to look at the actions of another person, to determine if that other’s (in this case) negligent behavior resulted in damage to the person’s Life, Liberty, or property.

It is one of the fundamental functions of government to provide a system whereby grievances between persons can be resolved without forcing people into the self-help known as anarchy.

OC for ME

No law or local ordinance I could discover. A bill is filed to make it a class 6 felony.

Any law would not apply in this case. Cop and it was not stored in the home. Though, a firearm stored in a vehicle is far more vulnerable to theft, get the cop on that one.

Doug_Nightmare

Washington Island, WISCONSIN. Out in Lake Michigan
Years ago, in SC, car storage was legal and recommended, which I extrapolated to better law enforcement attention to a stolen car if one was able to claim also a gun in the glove compartment stolen.

I have driven through DOWNtown Charleston twice in the last couple of days, to the bike shoppe on Meeting Street and past class-change at the CofC. What a pack of blank faced mindless dumplings, and they are willing and waiting victims for the predators hovering on the outskirts. Thank goodness for 25 miles of bad road, and a huge cultural difference behind the security gate.

Ghost1958

It is one person, asking a jury to look at the actions of another person, to determine if that other’s (in this case) negligent behavior resulted in damage to the person’s Life, Liberty, or property.

It is one of the fundamental functions of government to provide a system whereby grievances between persons can be resolved without forcing people into the self-help known as anarchy.
Why must you always state the obvious.

Of course a civil suit is not charging a person. That's why its called a civil suit.

Actually gov needs to close its doors for a while. Its provided a system of crooked LE and judges.
And a system so ridiculous one can civily sue a piece of toast.

The self help you casually tossed out as anarchy is actually called insurance for such matters

Its also none of the gov business where or how one stores their firearms. Period.

solus

The 11yo is manifesting & exhibiting early MH symptoms and from afar will probably spend his life on psychotropic meds!
OP’s cite, Quote:
Court documents say the boy has a history of behavior problems at school. His parents had recently taken his video games and removed them from the home. Last year, St. Joseph County police logged a report indicating the boy was involved in a “possible battery” that injured an 8-year-old neighbor boy, unquote

Further, dad is aware and possibly in denial which is why he leaves his service ‘weapons’ in his patrol car!

Charge dad, no...he has enough issues at the moment dealing with a psychotic offspring!

solus

Eye95, could you articulate how the father’s actions was negligible in any manner?

The however, what if’s, ad nauseam you are blathering about makes you sound like a mom’s against everything puppet...chill!

Finally, think about how man LEs would purposefully keep their service firearm in their vehicle in lieu of in the home for personal protection?

Whom is going to bring a civil suit against the 11yo boy? Father not charged whatsoever!

eye95

Why must you always state the obvious[?]

Because you keep contradicting the obvious.

I didn’t read any farther than this in your post because, following that comment, I determined that your post had nothing of value to say.

If you think you have a valid point you’d like me to address, please restate it—without the jerk comment.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The 11yo is manifesting & exhibiting early MH symptoms and from afar will probably spend his life on psychotropic meds!
OP’s cite, Quote:
Court documents say the boy has a history of behavior problems at school. His parents had recently taken his video games and removed them from the home. Last year, St. Joseph County police logged a report indicating the boy was involved in a “possible battery” that injured an 8-year-old neighbor boy, unquote

Further, dad is aware and possibly in denial which is why he leaves his service ‘weapons’ in his patrol car!

Charge dad, no...he has enough issues at the moment dealing with a psychotic offspring!
Let me add.
Possible symptoms of Psychosis include delusions, hallucinations, talking incoherently, and agitation. The person with the condition usually isn't aware of his or her behavior. Treatment may include medication and talk therapy.
Over the years there have been a couple on this forum that manifest those symptoms. But, no amount of talk therapy has placed a dent in their delusional vainglory.

OC for ME

Years ago, in SC, car storage was legal and recommended, which I extrapolated to better law enforcement attention to a stolen car if one was able to claim also a gun in the glove compartment stolen. ...
Not sure what part of SC you resided in, me being from SC, we never left any firearm in a vehicle, ever. Not sure who would recommend such a thing, especially in the/a city.

Ghost1958

Because you keep contradicting the obvious.

I didn’t read any farther than this in your post because, following that comment, I determined that your post had nothing of value to say.

If you think you have a valid point you’d like me to address, please restate it—without the jerk comment.

Do as you want ,but if you don't read an entire post , then you have no capability to determine diddly about anyone's post with any degree of credibility.

As a high degree of intellectual you obviously consider yourself to be you should understand that