• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Great News: Georgia pizza-delivery driver shoots robber and does NOT get fired.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Besides convenience store clerks, pizza-delivery is also one of the most dangerous jobs. Although I don't think women delivery-drivers being sent out alone is a great idea (especially at night, since most street-trash sleeps all day after a hard night of crime), in THIS case she had a gun ON her and used it. The only bad news is the trash she shot (in his ugly face) lived and his trash-buddy drove off in her car (so she is on foot now) and still remains at large.

But the point is THIS time, a pizza business -- Papa John's -- does NOT fire the driver, even though she violated Corporate Policy by carrying a gun.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/1...ployee-who-shot-armed-robber-in-self-defense/

Pizza Hut, Dominos and others should also be as understanding -- and compassionate.

Kudos to Papa John's.

Last edited:

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Moderator:

Oops...

I put this topic in the Georgia area, but since it's not about OCing in GA, you may want to move it to the general True Tales of Self-Defense area instead...as I saw other such posts like this there.

Sorry...

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
I'm sorry anyone had to go through this. I hope the delivery woman recovers fully (emotionally, financially, etc).

I'm very glad she was able to defend her life and limb and am pleased her employer seems to be doing the right thing in this case. Would that we could convince employers to drop their gun bans entirely.

Charles

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Papa John's said:
..."Company policy prohibits employees from utilizing firearms in the performance of their duties.We plan no changes to our current policy, which is designed to protect customers and employees," the statement read. "Upon investigation and considering the specific facts of the situation, we have reassigned the employee to work in the store and are offering her counseling to help her recuperate from the incident."...

They are still anti-gun, but don't YET want the bad press of firing her, and are committed to actively trying to keep their employees defenseless.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Papa John's said:
..."Company policy prohibits employees from utilizing firearms in the performance of their duties.We plan no changes to our current policy, which is designed to protect customers and employees," the statement read. "Upon investigation and considering the specific facts of the situation, we have reassigned the employee to work in the store and are offering her counseling to help her recuperate from the incident."...

They are still anti-gun, but don't YET want the bad press of firing her, and are committed to actively trying to keep their employees defenseless.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Maybe, maybe not.

At least it's more than Pizza Hut and Domino's have done for THEIR "shooters" -- they were fired, period.

So maybe what Papa John's is implying is "Don't ask/Don't tell" -- and maybe some ex-delivery drivers from the competition will be putting in applications at Papa John's shortly.

And dusting-off their carry guns (CC of course). ;-)

Last edited:

Fallschirjmäger

That's the one I'd go for.
"Guys, guys. If we fire her we're going to get a thousand letters, ten thousand emails, a million tweets, all condemning our actions. If we just do nothing, we don't lose anything. What's the smart play here?"

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Pizza Hut and Dominos would disagree...they had the same choice.

[EDITED to add: And apparently, didn't care about Public Opinion...and firing their gun-carrying drivers probably has NOT hurt their sales, either, as the general public doesn't seem to care about the drivers getting fired.]

So on one hand, people praise Papa John's for not firing the lady, yet on the other hand, people criticize them for not changing their official no-guns policy.

How is a business supposed to win?

Goes to show you can't please everyone, so just please yourself. Meaning, doing what you think is right and pay no attention to "public opinion," fickle as it is anyway.

Besides, Public Opinion is worth about as much as one pays for it -- absolutely nothing. Exactly the same for World Opinion.

Last edited:

Bill45

Papa Johns Pizza

Papa Johns pizza in Decatur, Ga. has backed up their delivery driver after she defended herself with a concealed handgun. Said she will not be fired.

Go to this site for the story: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/01/1...ployee-who-shot-armed-robber-in-self-defense/

I do not know if the no gun policy is corporate or if the franchise holder can set his own rules.

Although Papa Johns still will have a no guns for employees policy they are still backing this persons right to defend her self. At least this franchise holder is.
Not a perfect decision by the Co. (franchise holder) but never the less the next time I order pizza it will be from Papa Johns and I will tell them why and ask them to change the policy to follow state law.
Perhaps if enough people do this they will change policy.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Sure I do...but we're talking about businesses/corporations here, not individuals...and there's not a whole lot of that "learning from others" -- let alone learning from workplace shootings -- going on out there in the business world.

Nothing changes: They won't hire armed security to protect staff/customers, yet at the same time won't let staff/customers protect themselves.

And that's perfectly legal, even when people get maimed/killed because of it...

Tell me how that makes ANY sense. [a rhetorical question]

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
"Company policy prohibits employees from utilizing firearms in the performance of their duties..."

Well, technically self-defense isn't one of her duties as a delivery driver.

And I should hope they prohibit their employees from utilizing their firearms to get their customers to come to the door or to solicit bigger tips!

:banana:

twoskinsonemanns

I'm glad she will not be fired. IMHO the reason she is not being unjustly fired is probably her sex. There is definitely support to be found for anyone treated unjustly after a self defense situation. But there is some very heavy, main stream support out there to be found for a woman in the same situation. Just wild speculation but I imagine if it woulda been a male he woulda been fired as we have seen from multiple other companies in the same situation. These people are probably afraid of some crazy on screen ranting from that troll Nancy Grace. lol and rightly so.

twoskinsonemanns

so how does mandating no self-defense protect their employees again???

duh. It has been well established that people who carry guns are eleventy billion times more likely to have that gun taken by a criminal and shot with it than use it to defend themselves.
:banghead:

Kopis

I think companies don't openly promote carry of firearms for simple liability reasons. They didn't fire her which is more than any other company has done in similar situations so good for them.