• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Greene CATS

eye95

Greene CATS has the precise problem—recently addressed (although not completely corrected)—that the Greater Dayton RTA had. CATS unlawfully has rules in place that bar carry on their busses.

Here is the precise language from their pamphlets:

“Ridership privileges will be permanently suspended for the following actions: ... Possessing anything that is or can be construed as a weapon (This may also be subject to criminal prosecution).”

I contacted CATS at (937) 708-8322 on Thursday, 1/17/19 at 2:12pm. I was referred to Ken Collier. He was in a meeting and was supposed to call me back upon getting out of the meeting. Eight days later, on Friday, 1/25/2017 at 1:01pm, he called me back. Being at work, I let the call go to voicemail. Calling him back is not going to be possible until Monday, 2/4/19 since he will be out of the office until then.

The gist of the phone call: “We do know and realize that [“our language concerning weapons on our vehicles”] is out of date and we are in the process of revising all of our policies for riders ... to come into compliance the the Revised Code.... I can assure you at this point that we are not kicking anybody off or suspending anybody for coming on our vehicles bearing a firearm legally without making any threats ... to anyone on the buses.

On the surface, this is positive. However, I am not about to take a spoken word over a written policy. I intend to test his statement. Greene CATS stops within 100 feet of my house. Sometime in the near future, I will be getting on that bus and riding the circuit back to my house. This will likely occur after I call Mr. Collier on 2/4. Furthermore, during that call, I will be requesting an item to discuss the firearms policy be added to the agenda of the next meeting of the Greene County Transit Board. One thing I learned over the course of my encounters with the Montgomery, AL police is that being verbally assured of policy changes is not enough. We need proof that the policy has been communicated to the rank-and-file and that they are implementing that policy.
The next meeting of the Green Transit Board is scheduled for Wednesday, February 27 at 8:00 am, 2380 Bellbrook Ave. Xenia, Ohio 45385 Conference Room.

solus

Yahooo hoooo...BB62...didn’t you address and resolve this issue previously?

Eye95, great way to start a thread addressing who has ‘the precise problem...’ and stating ‘...recently addressed...’ without articulating any further information.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
eye95, how about a link the CATS' policy. Here, I'll help you.
https://www.co.greene.oh.us/DocumentCenter/View/283/Greene-CATS-Passenger-Guide-PDF?bidId=
Ridership privileges will be permanently suspended for the following actions;
  • possessing anything that is or can be construed as a weapon

You called them, you threaten to ride the bus. So, what do you do if you are arrested?

What you didn't do was give Ken Collier, Executive Director, WRITTEN NOTICE as to the violation of law. And, you didn't give the Greene County Transit Board written notice.
  • Woody Stroud, Chair
  • David Reid, Vice-Chair
  • David Middleton, Secretary / Treasurer
  • Blanche Casey, Member
  • Anne Gerard, Member
  • Todd Hiney, Member
  • Charles Rowland, Member
Here is their mailing address:
2380 Bellbrook Ave.
Xenia, OH 45385

I hope you don't want me to write your notice for you.

solus

Oh, please the independent advocate isn’t interested unless he does it himself to gain bragging rights and ego boost...

eye95

CoL,

Thanks for telling me what I didn’t do. That was really helpful.

I have barely started working this issue and believe in giving folks a chance to correct. So, if I can point out something you haven’t done: Chill.

solus

CoL,

Thanks for telling me what I didn’t do. That was really helpful.

I have barely started working this issue and believe in giving folks a chance to correct. So, if I can point out something you haven’t done: Chill.

Guess you now know how & who so now you need to write some letters...huh!

Ask and you received...let the membership know how your advocacy goes with CATS issues...

Wait...did i notice a thanks towards CoL for supplying the information you were seeking?