• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Law Explainer: Where Can You Carry in Texas?

stealthyeliminator

Oh by the way your former congressman says Orlando would not have happened here. Maybe with the new laws, not before. What says you?

Who said that? LTC holders are prohibited from carrying in bars, even if they don't drink. So, I'm not sure what he means by that statement.

If he wants Texas to be a place where people can be armed and able to defend themselves in such situations, maybe he should step up and support ending the 51% prohibition.

oljames3

I was told that Texas is not what Hollywood portrays it to be: OCing or CCing is restrictive. But now with the passage of new laws you texans should have a big smile on your faces. Oh by the way your former congressman says Orlando would not have happened here. Maybe with the new laws, not before. What says you?

http://kut.org/post/gun-law-explainer-where-can-you-carry-texas
Texas requires that a person be licensed in order to carry a handgun, either openly or concealed. It has always, and continues to be, legal to openly carry a long gun. There are restrictions. https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/InternetForms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf

One of the restrictions is that we cannot legally carry into an establishment that derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale of alcoholic beverages. Thus, although former U.S. Rep. Steve Stockman suggested otherwise, we cannot legally carry into establishments similar to Pulse. I would like to think that more Texans would have fought back with whatever was at hand. However, in places where we can carry, then yes, we would be shooting back. Thus, I avoid gun-free victim zones.

O. Lee James, III
Captain, US Army Retired