• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

gun on dash-dark tint..concealed?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Ok, so here's the question. Legally, a gun in plain view in the passenger seat or on the dash is considered not concealed, and is therefore legal...right? Well, I'm a Marine stationed in NC, and have a car registered in MN. My car, legally (according to MN law) has very dark (5%) tint on all glass but the windshield. You can barely tell if there's someone in the vehicle when approaching from the rear, so could this turn the dashboard-mounted gun into a concealed weapon?

Also, just to clarify, when the gun is on the dashboard or in the passenger seat, does it need to be unloaded?

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

The OCDO database tracks only the open carry of loaded handguns.

If you are concerned about the handgun appearing concealed in your vehicle due to dark tint, you might want to apply for a NC guncealed handgun permit, or some other state's permit accepted by NC - then you are covered.

But no LEO is going to see your hip holster or seat carried handgun in yourmoving vehicle from the highway no matter what your tint level - in a traffic stop, you would normally roll your window down, and the LEO walks up and should be able to detect your gun with normal observation - somthing they are trained to look for - and when they see the handgun, it is thus not concealed.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

The OCDO database tracks only the open carry of loaded handguns.
So I dunno what the OCDO database is, but I'm guessing you're saying that we're talking about a loaded gun on the dash/seat.

If you are concerned about the handgun appearing concealed in your vehicle due to dark tint, you might want to apply for a NC guncealed handgun permit, or some other state's permit accepted by NC - then you are covered.

guncealed??? And yeah, I guess that would work, but why put the weapon on my dash if I have a permit to leave it concealed?

But no LEO is going to see your hip holster or seat carried handgun in yourmoving vehicle from the highway no matter what your tint level
When you say hip holster, are you implying that that is considered an openly carried weapon, even in your car??

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

DreQo wrote:
So I dunno what the OCDO database is
When you say hip holster, are you implying that that is considered an openly carried weapon, even in your car??

OCDO = OpenCarry.org

This website links to a database of information - click on each state.

Yes, a gun in a hip holster where the gun is not covered by seatbelt or clothing such that the gun is in plain view should be considered "openly carried"; most folks without permits though tend to err on the safe side of OC especially in a traffic stop (place gun on passenger seat, shift manner of sitting to ensure the gun is exposed if LEO looks in car, etc.).

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Makes sense...good info. I would do the same as well, besides I just found out tonight that I can't comfortably sit in my car with the gun in its holster.