• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Ownership Project

daughertym

Hello,

I am pursuing a master’s degree at the University of Louisville. I’m asking for participants in a research project about gun ownership. The purpose of this study is to learn about gun ownership from the personal experiences and perspectives of white males. Eligible participants must be over the age of 18 and own at least one gun. Although the study is primarily focusing on white male gun owners, a participant will not be excluded from interviewing if they do not consider themselves white or male.

Benefits of participation are: a chance to represent gun owners and have your perspective added to the broader understanding of gun ownership in the U.S.

Interviews, which will be audio recorded, will be conducted in person at a convenient, neutral location for the participant. Examples are library meeting rooms and coffee shops. If an in-person interview cannot be arranged, a phone interview will be considered.

If you have any questions or you would like to participate, please contact me.

solus

OP, welcome...
That your PI, following the University's IRB, approved your project abstract which I found find quite interesting since you have just publically disqualified specific ethnicity as well as gendered subjects; further you have not specifically identified any specific definitions of a gun; however since you added a subject participant’s age qualifier, then your research must be limited to Long Guns since 18> <21 may not own handguns by federal/state statutes!

Finally I missed mention of subject participate completing IRB’s consent as well as handling, especially the safe guarding of recorded material?

[sidebar: nothing surprises me what so even now - wow shades of Sacha Baron Cohen part duex]

eye95

Hello,

I am pursuing a master’s degree at the University of Louisville. I’m asking for participants in a research project about gun ownership. The purpose of this study is to learn about gun ownership from the personal experiences and perspectives of white males. Eligible participants must be over the age of 18 and own at least one gun. Although the study is primarily focusing on white male gun owners, a participant will not be excluded from interviewing if they do not consider themselves white or male.

Benefits of participation are: a chance to represent gun owners and have your perspective added to the broader understanding of gun ownership in the U.S.

Interviews, which will be audio recorded, will be conducted in person at a convenient, neutral location for the participant. Examples are library meeting rooms and coffee shops. If an in-person interview cannot be arranged, a phone interview will be considered.

If you have any questions or you would like to participate, please contact me.
I do not “consider” myself to be white and male. I am white and male. These are not subject to opinion. These stati are observable and provable.

That you worded your request that way makes your study suspect in my eyes.

solus

The oral interviews in research lends to a problematic tone, tenor, intent, and linguistic understanding, to be articulated correctly question after question with each subject participate throughout the project.

[sidebar in the late 70s a PhD candidate from NW started an ad hoc research project of soft drinks for PI brownie points while on dissertation ‘hiatus’ discovered when roamed GA the kind folk didn’t know what the he was talking about when he order “POP” since they were in the birth area of “COKE”! His PI was a southerner who laugh his derrière off when the candidate regaled his plight.

Same holds true today when ordering ice tea, ya’ll gotta be specific cuz you just ordered a little bit of tea in whole massive sugar liquid- ugh!]

Further, as mentioned, storage, safe guarding of said material during and after end of project becomes burdensome.

That is why properly developed and vetted/peer reviewed questionnaires using abstract numbering in lieu of study participant names eliminates a the myriad of oral issues and storage concerns mentioned.

eye95

I met with OP. Ok dude. I recommend helping him out
Nope. Not until I know that he does not have the leftist bent that his talk of what race and sex one “considers” himself or herself to be seems to indicate he has.

He may just be suffering from the brainwashing that universities tend to inflict, but he needs to recognize that that brainwashing is happening before I would help him.

Of course, my taking such a strident position probably eliminates me from consideration, but that’s OK with me.

solus

I met with OP. Ok dude. I recommend helping him out

I am truly sure those particpants who introduced to and received ‘recomandation’ blessings to interfaced with Sacha Baron Cohen might rue heeding those recommedations ?

[sidebar i’ve met with lots of folk, numerous times, nor would i stick my real/perceived reputation out the to endorse something i could not specifically control and rectify if the individual went rouge]

Sideways psych experiments
1) Blue Eyed versus Brown Eyed Students

2) The Stanford Prison Experiment9

Last edited:

OC for ME

I do not participate in polls and/or studies, other than on election day(s). I recommend that you do likewise .Polls and studies are infected with political biases, rendering them unreliable in every instance.

daughertym

What about transgenders? Can they participate?
My project is focused on the experiences of male gun owners (this includes transgender individuals and anyone who personally identifies as male). However, anyone can participate (as long as they are 18 and a gun owner) if they want to share their experiences.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
My project is focused on the experiences of male gun owners (this includes transgender individuals and anyone who personally identifies as male). However, anyone can participate (as long as they are 18 and a gun owner) if they want to share their experiences.
Why would someone participate if they are not part of the study?

solus

Sorry, where did you say this “project’s” data is going to be used, - university course for grades?

how/where is data going to be archived upon completion of ‘project’?

now that is quite a revelation - researcher is a non-gun owner! Any experience handling a firearm whatsoever?

Since researcher is sticking to 18 > the strictly long guns or data will be apples and kumquats!

So if an interviewee makes bravado statements during recording sessions how will researcher know if they are being punked with false information?

The researcher should take an NRA pistol/shotgun/rifle basic courses, shoot these basic firearms then interview himself!

Oh! what a tangled web we weave When first we practise to deceive!

And as the bard penned - something is rotten in the of KY!

[apologies to both authors]

solus

So, you are saying the surveyor already has a bias.

Btw just how olde and what is the major of said researcher as they are showing more than a bias.

Further, good on you poetdante for wanting to help, but even you should see this foolishness for what it is, but even you seem vague of their research modalities and sustainability methodology concepts...you talk to him!