• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gun Rights in Puerto Rico

Haz.

imported post

Sounds like Puerto AustaliaRico?

We in Aus., have annual firearms licence fees, but we can pay yearly increments up to 5 years in advance. If we are members of a target pistol club we have range fees, and membership fees. SSAA membership is also at a cost.

If none oflicence fees and pistol club feesare renewed before expiry, they are immediatelycancelled and the whole long, labourious, ridiculious, legal, and political system takes over and even the training and waiting periods beginagain,and most people by then have had enough and justjust give up? I was at a major city police command center,station some years ago with some handguns which I was told in writing had to be presented to have the barrel lengths measured and recorded, yes believe it.

Whilst I was theregentleman walked in and handed in two beautiful antique hand guns to the officer at the desk. The officer asked him why he was handing them in?

His reply was: "I have had enough." These handguns belonged to my grandfather and its become far too time consuming and too much trouble for me to keep them any longer. he appeared to me to be heartbroken.

Haz.

theodoxa

No. As of GCA of 1986, no more FAs to imported to the good old USA.:cuss:

#1 It's the GCA (Gun Control Act) of 1968, which was amended by the FOPA (Firearm Owner's Protection Act) of 1986. The latter removed the restriction that one needed an FFL to sell ammunition, changed the standard for a conviction under the NFA from scienter (same standard commonly applied to statutory rape - It doesn't matter if you were outright lied to, you're still going to prison) to knowing (you have to know or should have known that the gun was illegally modified), and a few other things as well as banning the manufacture of any new machine guns. The import of machine guns was prohibited by the original GCA in 1968.

#2 An M1911 is not a machine gun. It is a semi-automatic handgun and is unaffected by either the GCA's import provision or FOPA's prohibition.

#3 Puerto Rico is part of the US, so bringing something from Puerto Rico to a state would not be importing. That said, if it were a MG (see #2), it would have had to have been registered by 1968 and all transfers following the NFA. Even then, you need ATF permission to cross state lines with a Class 3 firearm.

Lengua

Cagueits:exclaim: I am in the process of getting back home (PR) after spending 23 yrs in the US. I will like to get in touch if possible regarding the current law in PR. I do have a P220 Sig, HK 45 and short barrel shot gun for home protection. My question is: Option1-Would it be easier as well as cost effective to do a FFL from Calif to PR or can I get my weapons home by plane and register them there?
Option2-Sell here and buy in PR as well as request all the permits such as, ownership Lic, shooting range and eventually CCW.
Thanks in advance and look forward to get any light my way by you or anyone that has any experience or knowledge regarding this.:)

Just joined, first time user, glad to have found this venue!
An old thread, but I thought this may be helpful.
I'm in the process of getting my ducks in a row for transporting 3 handguns to PR as I'm moving there for an extended period of time. I am licensed to carry in NY & PA and will be getting my HR218 certification in the near future (Retired LEO).
So far I have researched the airlines, the TSA, ICE (just in case) and the Puerto Rico State Police in order to avoid any legal issues and here's what I have found out so far:
1- weapons must be declared, unloaded in locked container as checked in luggage
2- upon arriving I must surrender the weapons to police at the airport, even though according to them they will honor my carry license.
3- I must then submit registration forms for the weapons to the PRSP
4- once weapons are registered there is a grace period for applying for a local carry license
This is what I have been told so far from the agencies involved and it may be different for non-LEO background applicants
I hope this helps and if nothing else, get the info from those that will be actually holding you accountable.

Lengua

Last edited:

chocofan

Just joined, first time user, glad to have found this venue!
An old thread, but I thought this may be helpful.
I'm in the process of getting my ducks in a row for transporting 3 handguns to PR as I'm moving there for an extended period of time. I am licensed to carry in NY & PA and will be getting my HR218 certification in the near future (Retired LEO).
So far I have researched the airlines, the TSA, ICE (just in case) and the Puerto Rico State Police in order to avoid any legal issues and here's what I have found out so far:
1- weapons must be declared, unloaded in locked container as checked in luggage
2- upon arriving I must surrender the weapons to police at the airport, even though according to them they will honor my carry license.
3- I must then submit registration forms for the weapons to the PRSP
4- once weapons are registered there is a grace period for applying for a local carry license
This is what I have been told so far from the agencies involved and it may be different for non-LEO background applicants
I hope this helps and if nothing else, get the info from those that will be actually holding you accountable.

Lengua

yea! really old post, but awesome info. on you're behalf Lengua.
what I fail to understand in you're post is if the PRSP honor's you're PA/NY ccw why would you need to surrender you're firearms if you are already permited to with you're NY permit. obviously you have already been through all federal background check's plus you're ex- law enforcement.
the registry of the fire arms is not ok by my standards but it is there law.
I see it this way Puerto rico with there 4 different weapons permits tax stamps for each and every permit THE CONCEALED CARRYER need's to requalify every year is a way for the PR government to make money off of the average JOE

Lengua

yea! really old post, but awesome info. on you're behalf Lengua.
what I fail to understand in you're post is if the PRSP honor's you're PA/NY ccw why would you need to surrender you're firearms if you are already permited to with you're NY permit. obviously you have already been through all federal background check's plus you're ex- law enforcement.
the registry of the fire arms is not ok by my standards but it is there law.
I see it this way Puerto rico with there 4 different weapons permits tax stamps for each and every permit THE CONCEALED CARRYER need's to requalify every year is a way for the PR government to make money off of the average JOE

One person I spoke to at the PD HQ stated they would honor the permit for a period of time, another said the contrary. Even if they did honor the permit, the weapons have to be registered to be possessed legally in the island. As somewhat annoying as it may be, I'll jump through whatever hoops I have to... surrender the handguns until registered which will take a few days at most. I can complain and get myself aggravated or just do what I have to do and have my permit and weapons at some point. What I do recommend is that whatever jurisdiction you are dealing with, 1- get familiar with their gun laws, 2-when dealing with agencies on a federal and local level, be prepared for the most restrictive process even if you hear otherwise.

chocofan

One person I spoke to at the PD HQ stated they would honor the permit for a period of time, another said the contrary. Even if they did honor the permit, the weapons have to be registered to be possessed legally in the island. As somewhat annoying as it may be, I'll jump through whatever hoops I have to... surrender the handguns until registered which will take a few days at most. I can complain and get myself aggravated or just do what I have to do and have my permit and weapons at some point. What I do recommend is that whatever jurisdiction you are dealing with, 1- get familiar with their gun laws, 2-when dealing with agencies on a federal and local level, be prepared for the most restrictive process even if you hear otherwise.

I understand, and yes go through there process like I mentioned to you before most officers there that only run a desk job you would figure they could give you a straight answer but they lack the knowlge and don't even bother to inform a legally armed tourist.
I think the Puerto rico police force is in a decline because of cut back's and lack of fund's to keep them running.
if I'm not mistaken I think you could register you're firearms before you would arrive at the island in the 404 weapos law there is a section for shooting competitors that will compete at a range, they would go through the whole process but the information would be sent in before arrival.
mabe you should look into this.
good luck!

mac00677

Right you are!

Comp-tech wrote:

What are you talking about????

Territories and possessions are directly subject to the federal government, just like the District of Colombia. The BOR and Constitution does apply to territories and possessions.

Please do not spread false information, this is a reliable website.

Incorporation is not even an issue with territories, people in Puerto Rico and other places can immediately start suing to have these laws overturned.

Puerto Rico is in the 1st circuit.

U.S.V.I. is in the 3rd circuit.

All others are in the 9th circuit.

Our local laws can be overturned, if they countermand Federal, or Constitutional laws...

mac00677

I understand, and yes go through there process like I mentioned to you before most officers there that only run a desk job you would figure they could give you a straight answer but they lack the knowlge and don't even bother to inform a legally armed tourist.
I think the Puerto rico police force is in a decline because of cut back's and lack of fund's to keep them running.
if I'm not mistaken I think you could register you're firearms before you would arrive at the island in the 404 weapos law there is a section for shooting competitors that will compete at a range, they would go through the whole process but the information would be sent in before arrival.
mabe you should look into this.
good luck!

You had better be sure and get that in writing! In my experience, it is commonplace for many to rattle off answers, even if they don't actually know, because they don't want to admit that they don't know. I once spoke to a judge, who warned me; "Don't listen to the police, they don't know what they are doing!". That being said, If you did take someone's word for it, make sure it's the person in charge, (Captain or (preferably) above), and get it in writing! (Yes, I live in Puerto Rico)

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Serious finacial woes in Puerto Rico - effect on safety?

When economic issues raise their ugly head, social unrest sometimes follows.

Best to have the means to protect yourself and your loved ones if the SHTF.

"SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) - The governor warned that Puerto Rico can't pay its $72 billion public debt as international economists release a critical report on the island's economy, delivering another jolt to the recession-gripped U.S. island as well as a world financial system already worrying over Greece's collapsing finances."
http://www.nbc12.com/story/29428497/puerto-rico-governor-says-island-cant-pay-its-public-debt