• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

"Gun Violence and Gun Laws--Stand Your Ground?" LEO discussion at Anacortes Library

GuidoZ

"Gun Violence and Gun Laws--Stand Your Ground?" LEO discussion at Anacortes Library

"Stand Your Ground" discussion at Anacortes Library (1220 Tenth Street 98221) on Tues, 4-17-12 at 7pm. Speaking is Skagit County Sheriff and Anacortes Police Chief. There will be a moderated Q&A to follow. I'll be there. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I don't understand. Is this another one of those citizens-ask-the-cops about the law meetings?

Why would police be giving legal advice?

223to45

"Stand Your Ground" discussion at Anacortes Library (1220 Tenth Street 98221) on Tues, 4-17-12 at 7pm. Speaking is Skagit County Sheriff and Anacortes Police Chief. There will be a moderated Q&A to follow. I'll be there. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

Let us know how it goes. Should be interesting.

GuidoZ

I don't understand. Is this another one of those citizens-ask-the-cops about the law meetings?

Why would police be giving legal advice?
Kind of. Basically, after the uproar with what happened in FL, people are asking too many questions. Some LEOs actually DO know the law, and care when others want to as well.

Where did you find out about this event?
I'm close with the Skagit County Sheriff's Office. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

Schlepnier

Make sure you bring along plenty of copies of the laws on carry as well as the state supreme courts ruling on stand your ground for WA.

;)

best of luck, i am way to far south to attend.

sudden valley gunner

Make sure you bring along plenty of copies of the laws on carry as well as the state supreme courts ruling on stand your ground for WA.

;)

best of luck, i am way to far south to attend.

The people attending might love to be educated on their rights.

Skagit sheriff's department seem very well aware of OC and fairly supportive. They actually pointed me in the right direction on how to handle a situation where their hands were tied by the county council. I havn't been down there lately I wonder if they have fixed the lock box situation at the courthouse.

5918mike

“Gun Violence and Gun Laws — Stand Your Ground?” will be the topic of Fidalgo Democrats meeting 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 17 at the Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th St. Police Chief Bonnie Bowers and Skagit County Sheriff Will Reichardt will speak. A moderated question/comment period will follow the speakers. Democrats and progressives are welcome.

Coffee and refreshments will be available. Please bring a non-perishable food item for the food bank donation box near the door. Guemes Island Democrats who would miss the last ferry home may contact Anne Jackets at 293-0530 or annejackets@clear.net to arrange an overnight stay at her home.

For more information call Corinne Salcedo at 293-7114."

This is all I could find, I am interested in attending and have left a message with Corinne to see if it's open to the public.

GuidoZ

The people attending might love to be educated on their rights.

Skagit sheriff's department seem very well aware of OC and fairly supportive. They actually pointed me in the right direction on how to handle a situation where their hands were tied by the county council. I havn't been down there lately I wonder if they have fixed the lock box situation at the courthouse.
I was pleasantly surprised how resourceful the SCSO was when I had questions about OC/CC when I first moved to the area.

Because it's Deputy GuidoZ. :cool:

See Guidoz it does have a nice ring to it....lol.
Sincerely a good group of people from my experience... even before this transpired! I wouldn't have pursued being a part of the dept if I didn't believe in their vision. The Mt Vernon PD has also proven to be very professional, informative, and courteous in most of my dealings (before AND after the Deputy part). ;)

--
Peace. ~G

GuidoZ

“Gun Violence and Gun Laws — Stand Your Ground?” will be the topic of Fidalgo Democrats meeting 7 p.m. Tuesday, April 17 at the Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th St. Police Chief Bonnie Bowers and Skagit County Sheriff Will Reichardt will speak. A moderated question/comment period will follow the speakers. Democrats and progressives are welcome.

Coffee and refreshments will be available. Please bring a non-perishable food item for the food bank donation box near the door. Guemes Island Democrats who would miss the last ferry home may contact Anne Jackets at 293-0530 or annejackets@clear.net to arrange an overnight stay at her home.

For more information call Corinne Salcedo at 293-7114."

This is all I could find, I am interested in attending and have left a message with Corinne to see if it's open to the public.
Thanks for posting additional information. I've got an email out to someone at the SCSO requesting the same info (open to public). I will of course share the answer, once available. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

GuidoZ

Thanks for posting additional information. I've got an email out to someone at the SCSO requesting the same info (open to public). I will of course share the answer, once available. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G
Almost an exact quote of what I was told: Fidalgo Democrats are a group of about 30 regulars that are “progressives”. We generally don’t have too many “R’s” attend but they are always welcome and are always given a chance to voice their position on whatever the topic might be. I got an e-mail from Corinne Salcedo, who heads our group, and she advised that she had heard from some “Tea Party” types that might attend. That is not a problem at all. Please advise your friends that they are welcome. We also encourage whoever shows up to bring a can or two of food for the food bank but that is not required of course.

I'm guessing the "Tea Party types" are individuals from here? Bringing some food would be a good gesture. :)

--
Peace. ~G

Set

The Mt Vernon PD has also proven to be very professional, informative, and courteous in most of my dealings (before AND after the Deputy part). ;)

--
Peace. ~G

Agreed. I've dealt a bit with them through my work in Mt Vernon (prosecuting for theft) and they've been friendly and most helpful.

As for the meeting I'd love to attend but work until 9pm on that day :( Hope it goes well for all in attendance though.

GuidoZ

Agreed. I've dealt a bit with them through my work in Mt Vernon (prosecuting for theft) and they've been friendly and most helpful.

As for the meeting I'd love to attend but work until 9pm on that day :( Hope it goes well for all in attendance though.
Welcome to OCDO! I'm in S-W quite frequently, as well as Burlington and Mt Vernon. If you want to get together for coffee or something, drop me a line. I'd also recommend joining the Sun morn OC meeting at Bakerview Starbucks to meet some others. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

Set

Welcome to OCDO! I'm in S-W quite frequently, as well as Burlington and Mt Vernon. If you want to get together for coffee or something, drop me a line. I'd also recommend joining the Sun morn OC meeting at Bakerview Starbucks to meet some others. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G

I thought about it, but compared to most others around here (I assume) I'm fairly young. Soon 25.

As such I'm not as knowledged as everyone else yet. Though conversations sound appealing and a good learning tool I'd be a bit intimidated, not gonna lie. To date I've only carried CC. I've kept up on here regularly for the last few months, however, because OC is something quite parallel to my interests just something I've not partaken in.. yet.

Vitaeus

I thought about it, but compared to most others around here (I assume) I'm fairly young. Soon 25.

As such I'm not as knowledged as everyone else yet. Though conversations sound appealing and a good learning tool I'd be a bit intimidated, not gonna lie. To date I've only carried CC. I've kept up on here regularly for the last few months, however, because OC is something quite parallel to my interests just something I've not partaken in.. yet.

The only way you will get comfortable OCing is to do it. I have been doing it for just over a year and it is still not comfortable sometimes. Research the RCW's and find a day where you are doing stuff that does not cause complications, Post Office, Court House, schools and just strap it on and do your normal day. There are many stores that are indifferent to OC.

Set

The only way you will get comfortable OCing is to do it. I have been doing it for just over a year and it is still not comfortable sometimes. Research the RCW's and find a day where you are doing stuff that does not cause complications, Post Office, Court House, schools and just strap it on and do your normal day. There are many stores that are indifferent to OC.

Sound advice. For the record I didn't have any apprehension, nervousness or anxiety in regards to OC. I meant the meeting up with and discussing with people who are much more learned on a subject than myself.

Anyhow, didn't mean to digress the thread here :uhoh:

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

I know Viteaus is trying to encourage you to carry in your day to day activities, BUT!!!
His post is thoughtlessly missleading!!!

DO NOT!!! carry to the Post Office!!! Or the Court House!!! Or the School!!!