• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Gunman vowings to continue carrying AK-47 to parks draws ire from open carry advocates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

C-dub wrote:
So, I take it that TN's open carry law does not require the weapon to be in a holster like other states do?

Oh, and on an outside chance, has anyone considered the possibility that this guy could be an anti that is doing this to freak people out so they demand the repeal of open carry?

Yes, that has definitly been kicked around some here.

I believe that most gun owners/carriers have the "mental capacity" to excercise responsible descression about when, where, and what to carry re firearms, and they do. Anti-gunners haven't dsiplayed any evidence, IMO, that they possess such "mental capacity" to practice any sort of responsiblity.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
C-dub wrote:
So, I take it that TN's open carry law does not require the weapon to be in a holster like other states do?

Oh, and on an outside chance, has anyone considered the possibility that this guy could be an anti that is doing this to freak people out so they demand the repeal of open carry?

Yes, that has definitly been kicked around some here.

I believe that most gun owners/carriers have the "mental capacity" to excercise responsible descression about when, where, and what to carry re firearms, and they do. Anti-gunners haven't dsiplayed any evidence, IMO, that they possess such "mental capacity" to practice any sort of responsiblity.

Nah.

He's one of ours.

No doubt about it.

Quit dreamin'. He's our boy.

slowfiveoh

imported post

Mike does not speak for me.
Mike has not articulated the primary beliefs of even the majority of open carry proponents, on this issue.

Those of you freaking out over an AK47 pistol, which lawfully meets all requirements to be classified as such, then carrying around handguns YOU picked out, are hypocrites. Period. End of story.

So little attention has been paid to his "actions", or the "actions" of the police.
So much attention has been paid to the "type" of pistol he chose to carry.
So much attention has been paid to his camouflage clothing, like business suits or casual wear are the only acceptable garb for open carry.
Unless the law specifies "where" he should carry said sidearm, and prohibits slinging it over his back, then why pay any attention to this drivel at all? That's right, you shouldn't.

I occasionally wear flip-flops, hunting based t-shirts, and khaki shorts. Gee, I hope my attire fits your "acceptable garment" list. Wouldn't want anybody to be unhappy about the way I choose to exercise my rights. Could you please help regulate them for me?Would a Giorgio Armani suit be acceptable? Should I purchase Gucci shoes?

Would you mind sending me an itinerary of your "transition plan"? I want to make sure I'm moving in coordination with opencarry.org's plans, so that they don't throw me under a bus for wearing camouflage AND a sidearm of my choice. Although I probably deserved it, because camouflage is simply unacceptable. Especially in a woodland environment.

Maybe I should purchase a Ruger Super Redhawk, and a nice holster to practice my rights! Only catch is, for the next month I could wear nothing but BDU pants and brown t-shirts. I am guessing that would make me an evil open carry advocate, as opposed to a good one.

Oh joy HankT! The Open Carry movement is beginning to see the light! Am I right? :celebrate

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

C-dub wrote:

Some states, including North Carolina do not have explicit laws regarding w to open carry except for when involving prohibited places and for the purpose of transporting in your car.

Many places, you can sling your pistol OR your rifle over your shoulder if you want to or you can holster your pistol. Technically, you can hold it in your hands but most places will take that as brandishing and going armed to the terror of the public.

C-dub

imported post

Okay. Just for the heck of it. How much time does anyone think it would take to get this weapon from your back and on target compared to a more common one in a holster on the hip at 4 or 8 o'clock? I'm thinking that it would be at least a couple of seconds slower, but I don't really know.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

C-dub wrote:
Okay. Just for the heck of it. How much time does anyone think it would take to get this weapon from your back and on target compared to a more common one in a holster on the hip at 4 or 8 o'clock? I'm thinking that it would be at least a couple of seconds slower, but I don't really know.

It would be much faster to carry it on your chest. My sling had a quick release and a quick adjust. Pull the quick adjust tab and you can push the pistol forward. The sling gives added stability. Then just take it off safe and your ready to go. It'sveryquick.

here is a video

lil_freak_66

imported post

C-dub wrote:

i believe the sling legally suffices.

im concerned about that orange tip,and the firearm being what im considering to be an unregistered AOW with it on there

aiac

imported post

Regarding the question of AOW status:

"Disguised" does not appear anywhere in the NFA. That is an editorial summary on the part of the author of the article in the wikipedia. If a weapon is a pistol, then it is not an AOW as long as it has a rifled barrel and is designed to be fired from one hand.

Here is a link to the PDF
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5320-8/atf-p-5320-8-appendix-a.pdf

This is just a clarification. I hope the information is useful.

tekshogun

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I don't know what the TN statutes/penal code is on "concealing" a weapon.

I can say, that in North Carolina, a REAL firearm that has it's tip painted orange could be argued that it was done to conceal the fact that it is a real firearm which, can be considered concealed carry (if you don't have a permit to conceal carry, this is illegal).

Now, some can argue that they painted the tip just for the heck of it or for some other reason other than concealing the fact that it is something other than a toy or an airsoft gun. If I remember correctly, our open carry friend in this situation did admit to painting the tip orange to give police 2nd thought....

Is it still wrong? If it is with in the law, the orange tip is fine. In NC, though, I would probably make sure you have a conceal carry permit to before you try to pull a stunt like that, of course now that I think about it, they may also throw the "armed to the terror of the public" common-law at you as well. No permit can protect you from that.

Hawkflyer

Founder's Club Member
imported post

gutshot wrote:
[...SNIP
An example of a disguised weapon is a small hand gun in an attached pocket holster that allows you to pull the trigger and shoot through an opening in the holster or a gun that can be fired from inside a brief case by an outside trigger.
SNIP...

This is only partially accurate. In many states (including Virginia) a weapon is considered concealed if it is carried in such a manner as to conceal its true nature as a firearm. In this case the orange tip would qualify as just that as it would make people think that it was not a real firearm. Small pistols carried as part of a belt buckle fall into this category as well. So the real question is does the Tenn. permit to carry a firearm also allow concealment?

ecocks

imported post

I don't believe TN requires a holster for either OC or CC. Also don't believe ID does either. Can stick it in your waistband as far as I know.

Double posted (also in Handgun selection where the first discussion was going on).

And another two cents worth....

Seems everyone agrees it is legal, the cops, the papers, the forum.

Now would be a good time to dredge up Clayton Cramer's editorial and apply his, "was it a wise thing to do?" concept.

Some of us believe it was wise, others feel he was baiting or otherwise provocative. After all, even on this forum, not many put on "Army clothing" and then shoulder-sling a handgun before driving to a state park for a stroll.

He wanted to be seen and make a point. He was successful. Much like the black gntleman at the Phoenix Presidential townhall, he garnered media and LEO attention. In fact, I would have to say this was 97% positive since they say they have issued a memo to area LEO's and the media seems to be making it clear that this was a legal handgun.

The part I am disgusted about is the orange tip. There seems no clear answer as to WHY anyone would chose to try to make the weapon look like a toy. If I was a LEO, I would find this incredibly suspicious and have to say as a citizen, "if it isn't illegal, it ought to be". Simply, LEO's have a hard enough time doing their jobs. Even having an off-shift coffee is not as simple for them as it used to be. While prohibiting orange tips may be seen by some as an infringement, it strikes me as a reasonable and prudent precaution to protect children as they play with replica-like toys. Placing an accepted toy-marker on a real firearm seems to be an act of deliberate intent to mislead and endanger.

Think for a moment if he lost control of the firearm. Don't debate that he wouldn't or that people don't train their children (or themselves) correctly, that is irelevant to a specific incident. If a child or adult picked it up, thinking it was a toy (as it seems he for some obscure reason intended for observers to think) and killed/injured themselves or someone you loved, what would your reaction be towards him?

I know what mine would be and none of it would be charitable.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

kwikrnu wrote:
No two people ever see eye to eye and I know this is your website, but don't take this the wrong way. Cops bait people all of the time. They leave bait cars on the street for thieves to steal, they run prostitution stings, and drug stings. I don't condone illegal behavior at all, but ifcops can do it why is it"poor form and not helpful" if regular joe citizen does it?
This is a question no one has ever answered, that I have seen. How can one 'bait' law enforcement by NOT doing anything illegal? If the Officer is not a criminal him/her self, then there is nothing for them to be 'baited' by.... If it does 'bait' them, then duh, they are criminals with a badge. Where is the harm in exposing them?

I can see how it would be baiting a JBT into crossing the line. I don't see how letting one of them expose themselves could possibly be bad.

But the orange muzzle break? Really? Kinda silly.... But a lot less silly than people who have called for 'Common-Sense Open Carry Control."

It doesn't get much stupider than that... Even if you say things like 'stupider.'

Personally, I'd just ask you to lose the orange break. No it's not illegal... But the purpose/result cannot have a rational benefit. OCing an AK pistol, yes. Making it look like a toy gun... No, that is intentionally deceptive for no useful purpose.

But it's your right, carry on. I'd rather be seen with you than the jackoffs who would impose 'common sense open carry control' in the form of 'this gun is not OK to OC, and this one is not.' It reinforces the 'assault weapon' lie.

Or even be so ludicrous as to suggest that wearing camo is bad... As if this gun-owner on gun-owner hate hadn't gone far enough already...

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

While I'm not at all afraid of calling Mike out in his own living room (as if I would ever be invited there)... I wonder if he said this through his teeth, just to diffuse what would have been an even bigger circus had he said "Gosh, I think we should all carry AKs!"

Just an idea...

sudden valley gunner

imported post

I support anything legal, would I have my eye on him and my condition up to at least orange? You bet.

I agree with Mike and John in this that it don't look to good.

But hey I thought the same thing when I heard about the guy open carrying an AR to the ralley in Arizona, thought oh great "tinfoil" guy making us all look bad. Ended up being a well articulated, nicely dressed man.

simmonsjoe

imported post

ixtow wrote:
kwikrnu wrote:
No two people ever see eye to eye and I know this is your website, but don't take this the wrong way. Cops bait people all of the time. They leave bait cars on the street for thieves to steal, they run prostitution stings, and drug stings. I don't condone illegal behavior at all, but ifcops can do it why is it"poor form and not helpful" if regular joe citizen does it?
This is a question no one has ever answered, that I have seen. How can one 'bait' law enforcement by NOT doing anything illegal? If the Officer is not a criminal him/her self, then there is nothing for them to be 'baited' by.... If it does 'bait' them, then duh, they are criminals with a badge. Where is the harm in exposing them?

I can see how it would be baiting a JBT into crossing the line. I don't see how letting one of them expose themselves could possibly be bad.

But the orange muzzle break? Really? Kinda silly.... But a lot less silly than people who have called for 'Common-Sense Open Carry Control."

It doesn't get much stupider than that... Even if you say things like 'stupider.'

Personally, I'd just ask you to lose the orange break. No it's not illegal... But the purpose/result cannot have a rational benefit. OCing an AK pistol, yes. Making it look like a toy gun... No, that is intentionally deceptive for no useful purpose.

But it's your right, carry on. I'd rather be seen with you than the jackoffs who would impose 'common sense open carry control' in the form of 'this gun is not OK to OC, and this one is not.' It reinforces the 'assault weapon' lie.

Or even be so ludicrous as to suggest that wearing camo is bad... As if this gun-owner on gun-owner hate hadn't gone far enough already...
Excellent observation. +2
one for this one, and one for the post underneath it.

simmonsjoe

imported post

ecocks wrote:
The part I am disgusted about is the orange tip. There seems no clear answer as to WHY anyone would chose to try to make the weapon look like a toy. If I was a LEO, I would find this incredibly suspicious and have to say as a citizen, "if it isn't illegal, it ought to be". Simply, LEO's have a hard enough time doing their jobs. Even having an off-shift coffee is not as simple for them as it used to be. While prohibiting orange tips may be seen by some as an infringement, it strikes me as a reasonable and prudent precaution to protect children as they play with replica-like toys. Placing an accepted toy-marker on a real firearm seems to be an act of deliberate intent to mislead and endanger.

Think for a moment if he lost control of the firearm. Don't debate that he wouldn't or that people don't train their children (or themselves) correctly, that is irelevant to a specific incident. If a child or adult picked it up, thinking it was a toy (as it seems he for some obscure reason intended for observers to think) and killed/injured themselves or someone you loved, what would your reaction be towards him?
I agree whole heartedly. I don't think he thought much about it. That becomes more evident on another thread in which he discusses it.

44Brent

imported post

The "Hero" of OpenCarry.org

Leonard Embody (Kwikrnu)
http://whois.domaintools.com/kwikrnu.com
Embody, Leonard
1330 Ft. Campbell Blvd.
Clarksville, TN 37042
931-553-5078 fax: 931-553-5078

pic.php

Kwikrnu Previously Charged with Domestic Violence (but dismissed)
http://www.wkrn.com/global/story.asp?s=11438845

Kwikrnu Banned from Rivergate Academy Sports
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/20302-academy-sports-kwikrnu.html

Kwikrnu Banned from Puppy Forum
http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/8713-kwikrnu-banned-puppy-forum.html

I'm on a lot of forums. I've been banned from those two dog forums, this forum, a lightning forum and I think that is it.

Kwikrnu Banned from Gerbil Forum
http://www.tncivilsociety.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=65

Kwikrnu banned from Firearmsites.com
http://firearmsites.com/Gun-Forums/Non-Specific-Forums/Tennessee-Gun-Owners-l115.html

The management deleted nearly all of my posts and they changed the wording of some. There was no cussing or swearing or vulgar content. It was done to simply humiliate me and make it difficult for those wishing to know what happened to find out what happened.

Kwikrnu Banned from Tennesspeed.net
http://www.tennesspeed.net/forums/domestic-vehicles/40978-mustang-17in-tire-runs-9s-1-4-a-4.html

Kwikrnu Looking for AP Ammo to Penetrate Bulletproof Vest
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14345758
I just orderd an ak pistol. Now I'm going to need some ammunition for it. What works best in a short barrel? I'd prefer AP stuff, but I think it all should penetrate a vest pretty good or no? Thanks.

Kwikrnu Explains Why he Painted his Rifle Tip Orange
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6121332
Cops don't shoot people with airsoft guns. If this handgun looks like an airsoft the cops won't shoot me.

Kwikrnu Warned at TacomaTerritory.com
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41138

Warned me about flaming in the newb section. This isn't the newbie section. And what about getting some decent info on this site instead of crap?

http://tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41133
There is no flaming other members in the newb section. This is your warning and next time you will be banned.

Kwikrnu at the Airport
http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14381124&posted=1#post14381124
I need to shorten the urban ert sling I got for it because I can't get it tight enough. I carried it to the airport this morning and got a few looks, but wasn't detained or anything. I filled up my car with gas and it worked okay. It keeps bouncing around and chipping the paint off the tip.

Maybe there is a better way to carry the thing.

Kwikrnu Banned from Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/index?ytsession=Kh4dPJmUvbvi5--Y_6i9OJlN1qvncVwC4bOfa4gv5vjGHwLPrmdKIrigBSveLGX7cINF-lbPrBcoek4SjEkFziucvugPtRhbRiGatPE_QeEDF--JtN_3vOH81sRxzXb5iZ5sL8pvkCFRVBdlc_sciA0V0vSI95BBJ1OI7daG8Anmr_oUilfu_hL3SRwpggQvxIKdIPPW4tV3nnNZHB-adFMlEkN44p21MHWDYUTjZlz0LKwM0SE1e-GbU6Bu7EN9YGD-kRrjnttUlxhbZa4bDXwb1HUAhW3Iw8bZqxoUHWvdTQE0C1_RKrqq4ls6q4v6q-JdRKH8zaU-dO6i2ZN8cUaMZ88emNgSTK5MAQgBusc

This video has been removed due to terms of use violation.

Kwikrnu Identified as a Troll from the Brady Bunch
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=10&t=87315

Kwikrnu Banned from AR15.com
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=10&t=87315&page=3

Well, this thread is the end for the OP. I have no idea if it is a true story, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. When you go looking for trouble you normally can find it. The same happens here as in real life. This thread and your account are locked.

Kwikrnu Banned from GoldenRetrieverForum.com
http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=25843&page=7

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

First many items you posted are wrong. I've never been charged with any crime. I've never been accused of any domestic violence.

I was banned from aGolden retrieverforum because I asked about breeding goldens with poodles and suggesting that OFA statistics concerning hip problems in Goldens was skewed. Breeders typically only register their good dogs with ofa not the bad. Bad data in bad data out.

I've never joined a Gerbil forum.

Never been banned from River academy outdoor.

Never been banned from youtube. They decided my video on how to remove and paint the tip of a firearm orange was unsafe and removed it. YouTube has videos all over which show how to grow drugs, how to break out of handcuffs, how to open padlocks, and how to remove orange tips from airsoft guns.

I've never been banned from any website because of language or name calling or libel.

Brady Campaign? Please,anyone who wants to restrict the type of weapon I may carry, clothes I may wear, and color of the handgun I can own is a threat to the Second Amendment.

AP ammo is legal to own, sell, and use in Tennessee.

Do you like to attack people and name call?:question:

44Brent

imported post

My favorite quote is from Leonard Embody, aka "kwikrnu", aka "Quicker than you". Here he is complaining to the press that his license to carry a handgun wasn't revoked quickly enough after being charged with domestic violence.

Debate on gun permit database continues

Leonard Embody is a good example of how permits are not monitored very well.

Embody was wrongly charged with a domestic crime, but still, his permit wasn't revoked until two days after his record was cleared.

"I was supposed to lose my handgun carry permit on April 3, 2008, and it took the government a little over 30 days to revoke my handgun carry permit," he said.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

44Brent wrote:
My favorite quote is from Leonard Embody, aka "kwikrnu", aka "Quicker than you". Here he is complaining to the press that his license to carry a handgun wasn't revoked quickly enough after being charged with domestic violence.

Debate on gun permit database continues

Leonard Embody is a good example of how permits are not monitored very well.

Embody was wrongly charged with a domestic crime, but still, his permit wasn't revoked until two days after his record was cleared.

"I was supposed to lose my handgun carry permit on April 3, 2008, and it took the government a little over 30 days to revoke my handgun carry permit," he said.
Like I said I have never been charged with any crime. I have never been accused ofdomestic violence. I've never been arrested. I've never been pardoned. Never had any record expunged. When you accuse someone you need to provide some proof, where is yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.