• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns on campus could end nuke research at ISU...

LeMat

http://keci.m0bl.net/r/1tn2re #NBCMT

*Idaho Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter says Idaho State University could lose its license to conduct nuclear research from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission if a bill to allow concealed weapons on college campuses becomes law.** *Otter says ISU President Arthur Vailas told him that the commission has a zero tolerance policy regarding weapons at licensed nuclear research facilities.** *The Idaho State Journal reports (http://bit.ly/1e3nJrk) that Otter made the comments Friday while meeting with ISU's College Republicans.** *A bill allowing concealed weapons on Idaho's college campuses passed the Senate 25-10 Tuesday and is headed for the House.** *Otter declined to say Friday whether he would sign or veto the bill should it arrive on his desk.** *Vailas says much of the school's research portfolio is in the nuclear energy field.

carracer

I looked thru the information on the link and couldn't find anything regarding firearms. My personal thoughts are that they may be able to limit within the portion of the school dedicated to the research but not to the general population of the school. I think it is being exaggerated.

The Governor previously stated he would sign the bill.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This implies there are no doors/gates between the existing useless "gun-free zone" sign at the main gates and the licensed nuclear research facility building. Are you telling me that anyone on campus can access that building?

We obviously have to ignore the elephant in the room that we can trust someone not to blow up Idaho by misusing their research, but we can't trust them to carry a defensive sidearm while not doing that.

Last edited:

marshaul

Campaign Veteran
We obviously have to ignore the elephant in the room that we can trust someone not to blow up Idaho by misusing their research, but we can't trust them to carry a defensive sidearm while not doing that.

Nonsense. It's established fact that government employees are immune to human failings.

Primus

The facility is only in one building. The rule is for safety reasons, as nuclear piles and bullets don't mix.

Solution: Prohibit carry in that one building.

I'm curious... would a pike of nuclear material ignite or combust or I believe the appropriate word is react from a bullet?

Mythbusters!!!!

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm curious... would a pike of nuclear material ignite or combust or I believe the appropriate word is react from a bullet?

It would splatter all over. Do you know how hard it was to get it into the pile the first time?

davidmcbeth

Banned
I doubt that anyone who wanted to tamper with any nuclear device would really pay much attention to the fact that they cannot carry a .22 pistol around ...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome to OCDO Cnon - informative first post.

Media spin (lies?) paints a very distorted image - whereas just the facts (truth) will suffice, thank you.

BTW - does your screen name allude to your not carrying? That is not a complaint or negative, just curious - each person must decide what is right for them....if that choice is available to them.

Last edited:

Contrarian

Nuke and concealed carry

As I understand it, Idaho does not prohibit licensed carry on campus (correct me if in error)...so how would they know that there are no guns there NOW?

Cnon

The only ones that seem against this bill are liberals

Exactly destroy the illusion that schools and UWs have to be gun free and the antis loose a huge battle field and a place to poison the minds of the young.

Exactly, couldn't have said it better. The only ones that seem against this bill are liberals.

Cnon

Difdi

I'm curious... would a pile of nuclear material ignite or combust or I believe the appropriate word is react from a bullet?

Combust or ignite? No. If anything, a lead bullet splashed over the outside of the pile would make it safer -- lead blocks radiation, after all.

People have died of dropping things into nuclear reactors -- there was a guy who fatally irradiated himself when he fumbled a brick of tungsten carbide at one point during the Manhattan Project, but nuclear reactors are by and large sturdy things, bullets don't really have any effect on them.

sudden valley gunner

Combust or ignite? No. If anything, a lead bullet splashed over the outside of the pile would make it safer -- lead blocks radiation, after all.

People have died of dropping things into nuclear reactors -- there was a guy who fatally irradiated himself when he fumbled a brick of tungsten carbide at one point during the Manhattan Project, but nuclear reactors are by and large sturdy things, bullets don't really have any effect on them.

"Somethings in here don't react to well to bullets" :lol: