• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns on Campus: Tamron Hall

DeSchaine

http://www.investigationdiscovery.c...on-a-college-campus-tamron-hall-investigates/

http://www.forbes.com/sites/meggent...all-investigates-guns-on-campus/#da46cfb2d384

An interesting if not entirely truthful take on the campus carry debate. In the opening sequence, the show goes into detail about the Austin Tower incident, and goes to great lengths to point out that civilian gun owners not only joined police in returning fire on the tower, but directly assisted in the actual take down of the shooter. The only problem I have with that part is that most of the weapons used were long arms and have nothing to do with concealed carry.

Then we have former SEAL Adm. William McRaven, University of Texas Chancellor, and he is full of crap.

"In the military, hundreds of thousands of rounds later, you become proficient at using your weapon."

BS. None of the Basic Training/Boot Camps of the US military require an individual soldier to fire "hundreds of thousands" of rounds before they recieve their certification. For the Army, hitting 28 of 40 pop up targets is all thats required for a "marksman" badge, and all BRM training is done in less then two weeks. At that point, you are supposedly able to go out and fight a war. I'm sure the other branches have a similarly low requirement.

And Professor Gore illogically points out that "development of mental illness often happens in the twenties." So what? Highly emotionaly unstable kids get drivers licenses at 16, and we all know that cars kill more people in this country every year than guns do. At twenty-one, you can buy alcohol. Both of which require a much less invasive process in order to obtain those items. And oh how wonderful those two things go together, or go with mental illness.

More interesting, and releveant, is the fact that Hall brought together Virginia Tech shooting survivor and anti gun advocate Colin Goddard, and University of Nevada rape survivor and campus carry advocate Amanda Collins. It was a short but insightful discussion.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...More interesting, and releveant, is the fact that Hall brought together Virginia Tech shooting survivor and anti gun advocate Colin Goddard, and University of Nevada rape survivor and campus carry advocate Amanda Collins. It was a short but insightful discussion.
I'd love to see just that portion of the show. I recorded the whole thing, but it went over and over the same old, same old, so I erased it.

Thanks for the notification and the write-up.

solus

nobody finds it interesting if there isn't a mass shooting the mass media dredges up one from 50 years ago using such opening statements as...
"this senseless and horrendous act" and the rhetoric goes down hill from there.

ya, ya, ya, the shock and awe is being presented for TX' campus carry anti's propaganda but perpetrated the crap under the guise of an upcoming notable anniversary is just plain wrong.

ipse