• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guy tries gun grab - caught on video

solus

Probably just another shill with a conceal carry permit who thinks he's invincible with the magical power of a [not so hidden] weapon - the type of passive aggressive personality perfect for concealment only because he's scared of "becoming a target" (all the while concealing what appears to be a medium to full sized pistol under a measly t-shirt). I have no sympathy for the guy. He's an idiot, and if this crap happened to me I would expect you all to call me an idiot as well (although I would never be concealing).

My $.02 -----

I can't tell you how many times I've had to rubber neck or pretend to look at something else just to confirm the presence of another. Honestly, unlike some here, I have no problem with people seeing me look around. If I'm open carrying, that's kinda what I'm there for. I'm not going to get too caught up in trying to slink in and out of the convenience store as stealthily as possible. I'm going to go in, make eye contact with just about everyone there and usually politely smile and say hello, and continue to survey the surroundings the entire time I'm in line. Everyone that comes in the door gets a glance from me, probably a quick glance to the eyes followed by a quick glance to the waist band as my eyes move back to the forward position. I keep my elbow usually tight to the butt of my pistol and turn my strong side away from people, even if it looks somewhat awkward. If someone gets uncomfortably close to me I make it a point to turn towards them and greet them politely, just to let them know that they are in my no-go space. When I'm paying, I usually turn my strong side towards the counter, and I always have my wallet in my left pocket. I always make sure my right hand is free, which has actually helped with trying things ambidextrously.

It's easy to "have one's head on a swivel" and not look like a total creep. Just learn to be a little more outgoing and have assuring eyes and you shouldn't have any issues.

don't hold back mate...tell us how you actually feel...

and by the way, we already do :D (of course, with only the utmost love and passion in our hearts when we do!! ) :cool:

the truth, i were to see you engage in your SA routine, i might consider pulling and finding cover as your description sounds as if you are casing the joint :eek: geez, lighten up a bit!!

ipse

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...* - a "good holster" does not need to be Level XIV (or even Level III) but it ought to...
I'll tell you what, any man who carries a Level 14 holster is waaaaaaaay more of a man than I'll ever be! Kinda like those guys who carry a 40mm...

:rolleyes:

The Truth

don't hold back mate...tell us how you actually feel...

and by the way, we already do :D (of course, with only the utmost love and passion in our hearts when we do!! ) :cool:

the truth, i were to see you engage in your SA routine, i might consider pulling and finding cover as your description sounds as if you are casing the joint :eek: geez, lighten up a bit!!

ipse

I keep it subtle ;)

razor_baghdad

I keep it subtle ;)

I agree.

I maintain a subtle "bubble", while concealing and while OC. Cross that bubble and I take steps to move myself away from the edge of that bubble.

SA is something as simple as grabbing an item off of a rack nearby and checking the price, also while turning my strong side away from the intended/unintended breach of that bubble, all while smiling but still retaining SA for what's around you.

It's also awesome having a wife that understands the implications of a suspect person / totally innocent person getting too close. She reads my mind and knows exactly why I'm moving around her / bumping her, picking up an item that I have no interest in - nor that we need.

Call it "yellow" or "orange" or "red" or whatever color / level you want to call it. That guy would have been "checked" as soon as he entered the store.

Stay safe and SA folks.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
^ ^ Indeed 1 + 1 is great than 2 ^ ^

Coordinated teamwork has great benefits that are not normally recognized by the untrained eye.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
There have been times I'm glad I wear glasses. I have, on occassion, reached up to "scratch my forehead" and cup my palm over one eye and use the inside of the lens to look behind me. This only works however if the area is fairly well lit.

I've also used a water glass, a dinner knife (if polished enough), etc. I've even considered getting some of those little decorative mirror pieces (~1" dia.) to keep in a pocket if I'm going out.

You can use the shiny black surface of your cell phone as a mirror in virtually all lighting conditions. :)

Last edited: