• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

had a nice convosation today

john118242

imported post

hey everyone

a bit bored and all my questions have been answered so im going to start a topic that is just interesting to me.

a guy i talked to today was saying stuff about the laws on if u do shoot someone in self defense it was interested . he said that the max distance that will win in court is 15 feet that the attacker can be away from you for it to count as self defense . that sounds reasonable and he explained the whole if u have another way out you have to take it like run and get away safe. that got me thinking you dont really need a very accurate gun to shoot 15 feet. i was thinking a 40 caliber would suck for self defense because i hear its not accurate after so many feet or something well you dont need it to be accurate at 300 feet or what ever to shoot some one at 15 feet . just my personal opinion though . so in my opinion a 40 caliber is ya over kill for power but can get the job done if ever had to . there is more that we talked about but dont feel like typing paragraphs of stuff . a bit random but does any one know how to get a hold of dave ridley? does he post his own stuff on youtube?

post any suggestions or comments on guns or self defense knowledge thanks

jay75009

alright. #1`............shotting someone in self defense is not interesting, fun, cool, or anything other than horrifying. i dont know why you have such a facination with it........but ya might wanna re-think.

here are some answers to your questions though.

.40 cal is plenty accurate and not overkill at all.........40cal is a beefy 9mm in all senses, now a .500 S&W is overkill a 400 Nitro express or 577.trex is overkill but for a OC or CC gun. a .40 cal is just fine it sits right between 9mm and .45 and costs the same as a .45 so.........go with that........its not the round thats not accurate in modern ammo, its the gun. so a .40 will do .......if you have the right hardware.

second...........21 FEET.........21 feet is the safest distance to be from an attacker that is charging you, if hes 21 feet or closer you barely have enough time to draw and sight your target.........nevermind fire, if your lucky you will get 1 or two off. and if your REALLY lucky they will hit.

distance doesnt matter in a court of law.........what matters is if you CAN PROOVE without a REASONABLE DOUBT that your life was in immediate danger, that you used every single non lethal option available beforehand and that your decision to fire was the only one left that you had, and even then..........its a tightrope walk and you might still spend 10-20 in jail.

best bet........take a conceal and carry course, a hunters safety course, a pistol safety course............2 or 3 times........do your research, contact a lawer, go on some nasty internet site and see what gunshots actually do to a human so you know what you might be getting yourself into............and buy a bible and pray .....PRAY that you never use any gun that you own on another person.

thats my advice.................

john118242

alright. #1`............shotting someone in self defense is not interesting, fun, cool, or anything other than horrifying. i dont know why you have such a facination with it........but ya might wanna re-think.

here are some answers to your questions though.

.40 cal is plenty accurate and not overkill at all.........40cal is a beefy 9mm in all senses, now a .500 S&W is overkill a 400 Nitro express or 577.trex is overkill but for a OC or CC gun. a .40 cal is just fine it sits right between 9mm and .45 and costs the same as a .45 so.........go with that........its not the round thats not accurate in modern ammo, its the gun. so a .40 will do .......if you have the right hardware.

second...........21 FEET.........21 feet is the safest distance to be from an attacker that is charging you, if hes 21 feet or closer you barely have enough time to draw and sight your target.........nevermind fire, if your lucky you will get 1 or two off. and if your REALLY lucky they will hit.

distance doesnt matter in a court of law.........what matters is if you CAN PROOVE without a REASONABLE DOUBT that your life was in immediate danger, that you used every single non lethal option available beforehand and that your decision to fire was the only one left that you had, and even then..........its a tightrope walk and you might still spend 10-20 in jail.

best bet........take a conceal and carry course, a hunters safety course, a pistol safety course............2 or 3 times........do your research, contact a lawer, go on some nasty internet site and see what gunshots actually do to a human so you know what you might be getting yourself into............and buy a bible and pray .....PRAY that you never use any gun that you own on another person.

thats my advice.................

i respect your opinion