• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Had a small run-in with LVPD lastnight whilst LOC.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Well, somebody is naive, maybe me. It has been four decades since my most recent encounter with cops (March 1977) and I have been armed for two of those decades. These are experiences that I am glad to not have, and wonder at their blasé acceptance by others. Personally, any encounter with a cop is a bad encounter.

Nightmare, I am sorry you feel that way. I openly carry just about every day and am often in the presence of state and local law enforcement officers, and I have yet to have an unpleasant encounter. Most of the time, if we exchange comments at all, it's just to say "Hello, how're you doin'?" If it goes beyond that, usually the conversation comprises questions about my firearm, why I like it compared to others ... you know, the same kind of exchanges we have with other, non-LEO carriers. In the years I have been openly carrying I have yet to have a "bad encounter" with anyone in Law Enforcement in my home state of Virginia or even in Maryland, a state that has some of the most draconian firearms laws. What I have discerned is that one's attitude and demeanor goes a long way in maintaining a cordial, non-confrontational experience.

Having said that, I am not "blase." I am practiced and prepared to defend my rights verbally if confronted by a law enforcement officer, relying on the great advice of my attorney (User on this forum). It's just that I have never had to do that. Perhaps I have just been more fortunate than some posters in this forum that have experienced otherwise.

solus

Nightmare, I am sorry you feel that way. I openly carry just about every day and am often in the presence of state and local law enforcement officers, and I have yet to have an unpleasant encounter. Most of the time, if we exchange comments at all, it's just to say "Hello, how're you doin'?" If it goes beyond that, usually the conversation comprises questions about my firearm, why I like it compared to others ... you know, the same kind of exchanges we have with other, non-LEO carriers. In the years I have been openly carrying I have yet to have a "bad encounter" with anyone in Law Enforcement in my home state of Virginia or even in Maryland, a state that has some of the most draconian firearms laws. What I have discerned is that one's attitude and demeanor goes a long way in maintaining a cordial, non-confrontational experience.

Having said that, I am not "blase." I am practiced and prepared to defend my rights verbally if confronted by a law enforcement officer, relying on the great advice of my attorney (User on this forum). It's just that I have never had to do that. Perhaps I have just been more fortunate than some posters in this forum that have experienced otherwise.

of course, i am sure your encounters are in the daylight hours, not parked in a strange residential area in the dark hours nor i am sure being considered one of the gang as a certified MD State Police Handgun instructor makes any difference in your demure as 'one of the boys in blue' cohort...

finally, hanging around as one of the gang also means your posture and so forth provides and alludes a level of self confidence which inhibits the nice LEs from trying to play twenty questions with you.

in the field, the nice LEs when hunting for an encounter are intimidating to JQPublic, do and will use all their training to ensnare someone into a lie, or touch someone to check their 'tension' or, or, any of other bag of tricks to assure a successful day on the street.

the five minutes i am contrite, polite, and positively exhibit my thanksgiving manners is when in an unexpected encounter with nice LEs.

ipse

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
Well, somebody is naive, maybe me. It has been four decades since my most recent encounter with cops (March 1977) and I have been armed for two of those decades. These are experiences that I am glad to not have, and wonder at their blasé acceptance by others. Personally, any encounter with a cop is a bad encounter.
Wow.

Not that I normally go looking for LEO encounters, but in general, as long I'm uninjured at the end of the incident I view the encounter as positive - and usually an opportunity to educate one or a few officers, and in some cases, a whole department.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...Not sure if Nevada has a must inform law or not?...

We do not.

Also, they can only require you to allow them to disarm you if you are legally detained, which I didn't see in my scanning of the thread.

All else must be consensual, which is sadly too free-flowing, but understandable, because we do not feel free because of their purposeful posturing during such requests. It's so rare that they are told "no thank you" that they often don't know what to do about it, and it can be a bit humorous.

"No, sir, I have too much respect for our laws to allow an unwarranted search."
"Yes, officer, as a matter of fact, I DO have something to hide. It's perfectly legal, and still none of your business."

28kfps

We do not.

Also, they can only require you to allow them to disarm you if you are legally detained, which I didn't see in my scanning of the thread.

All else must be consensual, which is sadly too free-flowing, but understandable, because we do not feel free because of their purposeful posturing during such requests. It's so rare that they are told "no thank you" that they often don't know what to do about it, and it can be a bit humorous.

"Yes, officer, as a matter of fact, I DO have something to hide. It's perfectly legal, and still none of your business."
MAC this is the kind of info I was hoping would come out of the OP posting. Each LEO run in is going to be a judgment call based the persons experience and knowledge, the LEOs reactions and circumstances. I am of the opinion the main mission is going home with the firearm and no citations. This is one of the examples of why it is important to know what our gun rights are. While defaulting to 100% compliance regardless of the overstepping of the LEO gets one home, knowing ones right will do the same while pushing back on the LEOs willingness to intimidate and overstep the rights of legal gun owners.
Pushing back at every level is the only way to battle the constant teardown of gun laws.

cocked&locked

We do not.

The search may have in-fact been warranted; it was however, warrantless!

turborich

I read about this on the other site as well. I think it's ridiculous that you instantly gave up all of your rights and allowed yourself to be disarmed.

Robin47

I asked the op if he would share this. I believe opencarry.org has some of the most knowledgeable real life experienced, legal aware gun owners of several other pro gun sites I am on. I believe this is a good thread of conversation. One can reply to such postings with learning info and opinions to encourage a OCer to better represents the upstanding in the know OCing group or chase them off to become another brain dead OCer creating negative attention to the pro gun group.
I believe the OP did well he went home with his gun, no fines. Compliance is in my opinion the number one mission with such encounter. Recording or making mental notes of LEOs actions, time, location, names, wrong doing if able to have available if one decided later to make a formal complaint. I understand the compliance question, however once the encounter has started I am of the opinion regardless of the legalities of the stop one only has 100% control over one person. We cannot control the LEOs however; we can help direct their actions by how we control ourselves.
A lot of good info on this issue to learn from and great for the new to NV OCing. Pointing out aspects of LEOs actions that could be the overstepping of their authority.

Makes me wonder who they think they swore there oath to,what do you think ?
To support and defend the Constitution, which includes the Bill of Rights since Dec,15,1791 :0

Robin47

28kfps

Makes me wonder who they think they swore there oath to,what do you think ?
To support and defend the Constitution, which includes the Bill of Rights since Dec,15,1791 :0

Robin47

Sadly, now days it would appear due to one’s personal hurt feeling swearing ones oath meaning is allowed to be altered. It would appear now days it is accepted to allow sections of oaths to be verbally dismantled or adjust to fit unintended agendas or weaken aspects of the oath they do not agree with.