• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hampton Roads OCDO Dinner - Village Inn in Virginia Beach Va on Wed, August 4th @ 7pm

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
It's been a while since I've seen one scheduled. I know I've missed the last few that have happened.

How about we get one going at Village Inn in Virginia Beach Va on Wed, August 4th @ 7pm?

It's like herding cats.. rather than say How about we get one going at Village Inn in Virginia Beach Va on Wed, August 4th @ 7pm? I would say: OC Dinner at Village Inn in Virginia Beach Va on Wed, August 4th @ 7pm!

darthmord

It's like herding cats.. rather than say How about we get one going at Village Inn in Virginia Beach Va on Wed, August 4th @ 7pm? I would say: OC Dinner at Village Inn in Virginia Beach Va on Wed, August 4th @ 7pm!

Ed, that is what I'm saying. I just don't like to make demands. I did give day, time, and place. I will go back and make it more clear though.

How about somewhere closer to hampton, so more people can make it?

Because when they are held in Hampton, I am almost assured of not being able to make it. There's this thing called the HRBT and it has this annoying tendency to have the traffic through it all backed from 5pm to 7pm.

Basically, to make it to the Hampton / Newport News dinners I typically have to leave my house in Norfolk by 4:30/5:00pm to be able to make it through the tunnel and get there in time. If I do that, I end up arriving rather early (by an hour or more). If I leave my house at a more reasonable time, I get stuck in tunnel traffic and end up arriving significantly late (by upwards of an hour or more).

I also find my arriving late to be rude and disrespectful (in my opinion), particularly if intentions of being late was not prior information. Moreso if the group was waiting for me. I endeavor to not be rude and disrespectful.

All that aside, if you want a Hampton OCDO, then do as I have and start one.

wylde007

Because when they are held in Hampton, I am almost assured of not being able to make it. There's this thing called the HRBT and it has this annoying tendency to have the traffic through it all backed from 5pm to 7pm.
In the early evening hours (and many times throughout the day elsewise) it is nearly impossible to transit from the Southside to the Peninsula and vice-versa without enduring some form of tunnel-related delay.

Unless it's held at a Denny's at 3 AM, there's really no getting around it. Period.

Which is why dining events are held and/or scheduled by those motivated to get a group together and provide convenience to themselves. I personally wouldn't schedule something in York if I live (which I do) in Virginia Beach.

It comes back to the same thing it always has (and for which I got ripped on when I first found this site): if you want to schedule a dinner, lunch or breakfast in your area - DO IT! No one is grand high potentate and there is no necessity to "clear it" with some higher-ups. There are none.

Make a plan. Put it out there. If people want to attend and are able, they will. I've been to suppers where they had to bring in extra tables because more people showed than RSVP'ed. I've also been to a couple where the whole group fit around an 8-top.

Like peter nap said elsewhere, organizing something like this is akin to herding cats. You'll never get everyone in agreement or accord. Pick a place you like to eat and think others will, too. Schedule a date and time. Post the invitation. Have fun. :)

Reverend73

Founder's Club Member
I'm in town for a few days. My dad and I will be at Fuddruckers at Virginia Beach Blvd and Independence Blvd tomorrow, Friday, 30 August at 1930 local. I may not even be armed with a pistol if my dad didn't bring enough guns, though I will have my fists, which are registered lethal weapons in the state of California :D

fully_armed_biker

GSL Stickers

Hey all...As some we talked to at the VCDL picnic, a few weeks ago, know...after the picnic my wife and I went to Hoss's Deli in Newport News to sell raffle tickets for a new Harley Davidson motorcycle, being held at a ride to support the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, coming up on Oct 3. Both my wife and I wore the GSL Stickers, from the picnic, to Hoss's. We sold quite a few tickets, and much to our surprise...the GSL stickers got nearly as much attention as the bike we were raffling off. We got over a dozen request from bikers that want to put a GSL sticker on their helmet. I was wondering if someone coming to the dinner, Wednesday night, might have a roll of stickers they can sell to me? PM me, if you have a roll your willing to part with....

Thanks,
Dennis