• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Handgun Class

dave1289

imported post

Any one know of any handgun safety classes in the Hattiesburg area? I need to take a class to qualify for a non-resident permit from Maine.

tnx,
Dave

Ed Y

imported post

I'm not sure exactly what Maine requires but a friend of mine who applying for CCL from Florida just got an LEO he knows to give him some training, then submitted a letter signed by the LEO.

Generally no one in MS runs any or very few classes cause MS doesn't require any official training to get a CCL.

Just my experiences.

dave1289

imported post

Tnx for the suggestion Ed Y, I reread the handbook for the permit and it seems that something like that would meet the requirements. I'll call them after the holidays and ask.

-Dave

buketdude

imported post

(5) Demonstrates to the issuing authority a knowledge of handgun safety.
The applicant may fully satisfy this requirement by submitting to the issuing
authority, through documentation in accordance with this subparagraph, proof
that the applicant has within 5 years prior to the date of application completed a
course that included handgun safety offered by or under the supervision of a
federal, state, county or municipal law enforcement agency or a firearms
instructor certified by a private firearms association recognized as
knowledgeable in matters of firearms safety by the issuing authority or by the
state in which the course was taken. A course completion certificate or other
document, or a photocopy, is sufficient if it recites or otherwise demonstrates that
the course meets all of the requirements of this subparagraph.
As an alternative way of fully satisfying this requirement, an applicant may
personally demonstrate knowledge of handgun safety to an issuing authority, if
the issuing authority is willing to evaluate an applicant's personal demonstration
of such knowledge. The issuing authority is not required to offer this 2nd option.
The demonstration of knowledge of handgun safety to the issuing authority
may not be required of any applicant who holds a valid State permit to carry a
concealed firearm as of April 15, 1990 or of any applicant who was or is in any
of the Armed Forces of the United States and has received at least basic firearms
training.