• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 5408 sails through the public safety committe; show permit to cops upon demand

Fallschirjmäger

AN ACT CONCERNING THE PRESENTATION OF A CARRY PERMIT.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

Section 1. Subsection (b) of section 29-35 of the 2016 supplement to the general statutes is repealed and the following is substituted in lieu thereof (Effective July 1, 2016):

(b) The holder of a permit issued pursuant to section 29-28 shall carry such permit upon one's person while carrying such pistol or revolver. Such holder shall present his or her permit upon the request of a law enforcement officer [w̵̶̶̵h̵̶̶̵o̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵h̵̶̶̵a̵̶̶̵s̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵r̵̶̶̵e̵̶̶̵a̵̶̶̵s̵̶̶̵o̵̶̶̵n̵̶̶̵a̵̶̶̵b̵̶̶̵l̵̶̶̵e̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵s̵̶̶̵u̵̶̶̵s̵̶̶̵p̵̶̶̵i̵̶̶̵c̵̶̶̵i̵̶̶̵o̵̶̶̵n̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵o̵̶̶̵f̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵a̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵c̵̶̶̵r̵̶̶̵i̵̶̶̵m̵̶e] for purposes of verification of the validity of the permit or identification of the holder, provided such law enforcement officer has reason to believe such holder is carrying a pistol or revolver t̵̶̶̵h̵̶̶̵a̵̶̶̵t̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵i̵̶̶̵s̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵o̵̶̶̵b̵̶̶̵s̵̶̶̵e̵̶̶̵r̵̶̶̵v̵̶̶̵e̵̶̶̵d̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵b̵̶̶̵y̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵s̵̶̶̵u̵̶̶̵c̵̶̶̵h̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵l̵̶̶̵a̵̶̶̵w̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵e̵̶̶̵n̵̶̶̵f̵̶̶̵o̵̶̶̵r̵̶̶̵c̵̶̶̵e̵̶̶̵m̵̶̶̵e̵̶̶̵n̵̶̶̵t̵̶̶̵ ̵̶̶̵o̵̶̶̵f̵̶̶̵f̵̶̶̵i̵̶̶̵c̵̶̶̵e̵̶r.]
Statement of Purpose:
To require the holder of a permit for the carrying of any pistol or revolver to present such permit upon request of a law enforcement officer.

[Proposed deletions are struck-through. Proposed additions are indicated by underline, except that when the entire text of a bill or resolution or a section of a bill or resolution is new, it is not underlined.]​

If I'm reading it correctly, it would appear the legislature wishes to make the mere suspicion of a legal object being present a reasonable, articulable suspicion that crime is afoot.

Last edited:

adk_mechetech

And somehow this is going to make "us" safer? I still maintain the position that it isn't the person openly carrying a firearm one needs to be concerned about. Those looking to do bad will not likely be legally carrying and certainly won't want to advertise it.

What a load of horse ****.

amlevin

Not sure I see the issue. If a state requires one to have a permit to open carry, so be it. Only way to get around it is to change the State Constitution to one like WA State's. That or a Constitutional Carry law.

FWIW, I've been showing my WA CPL to "cops" for over 50 years now and never received anything from them other than "Thank You". Then again, I've only had to deal with officers like that during traffic stops. Out with the license AND the CPL. No issues at all. Same in states where they have reciprocity with WA State.

adk_mechetech

The issue is that a perfectly legal act is being turned into reasonable suspicion for an officer to stop and demand to see your permit.

A legal act (openly carrying a pistol and also having a valid permit) should not be considered RAS. Being assumed guilty and having to prove innocence is not okay with me. I do not want to be detained for doing something completely legal. An officer can initiate a consensual conversation with me at any time, but HB5408 turns it into a detention when I am carrying. (My understanding of it anyway)

An officer can't pull you over and ask for your license without a reason that they may or may not make up, but they still have to come up with a reason. The act of driving a car in and of itself is not illegal.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Not sure I see the issue. If a state requires one to have a permit to open carry, so be it. Only way to get around it is to change the State Constitution to one like WA State's. That or a Constitutional Carry law.

FWIW, I've been showing my WA CPL to "cops" for over 50 years now and never received anything from them other than "Thank You". Then again, I've only had to deal with officers like that during traffic stops. Out with the license AND the CPL. No issues at all. Same in states where they have reciprocity with WA State.

The right way is to eliminate all gun laws. Even a constitutional amendment is a law .. it acknowledging that the state CAN regulate your RKBA.

You need to re-examine your RKBA...

Last edited: