• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Heagy Bur

77zach

That's not too terribly far away from me. If you have an extra fishing pole I'll drive up the 30 minutes.

Last edited:

ADulay

So, the Big Cheese of Marion County Parks has denied that 790.25 exists.

Ixtow,

I could day trip it up there, as long as it's not on a Saturday.

Evidently from the apparent direction of your original message, somebody says you can't OC while fishing there?

Is it on a sign or was it some statement?

I'll bring the G30 with the 4516 in the saddlebag as a backup!

Always looking for a new place to fish.

AD

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
She mentioned 790.06, but even when directed to 790.25, she denied it... Went back and forth for several months.

It has a floating dock next to the boat ramp. Very few people ever there. Small time kinda place.

The water under the dock was only about 12 inches deep. Never saw anyone land a fish... :p

Last edited:

Rich7553

She mentioned 790.06, but even when directed to 790.25, she denied it... Went back and forth for several months.

It has a floating dock next to the boat ramp. Very few people ever there. Small time kinda place.

The water under the dock was only about 12 inches deep. Never saw anyone land a fish... :p

Could you recap the series of events? I'm a bit foggy on what she is trying to say. Is she saying you can't OC fish there? I have no problem sending an e-mail from Florida Carry on your behalf.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I could day trip it up there, as long as it's not on a Saturday.

I'm open. I just wanted to point out a place for people from this neck of the woods to go. Wasn't planning any kind of meet-up or official thing. You can go whenever you feel like it.

Evidently from the apparent direction of your original message, somebody says you can't OC while fishing there?

That's presumptive.

I've been going back and forth with citations and links to online statutes for months. I didn't do anything rude even after she earned it... But that's how they are in this part of Florida... Last message was informing her that I don't need her permission, I was just bringing it to her attention. If they want to disobey the law, that's up to them. I'm the only person who has ever contacted the Parks Department about it. If you go there alone, expect them to presume you're me... I don't think anyone else around her cares for or wants their rights. Her attitude has been sh!tty from day one. You might want to give them a ring yourself. Maybe a few more notifications on the matter and they will see fit to respect the law? Nah, not likely...

None of the LEAs would comment or return an email. I kinda expected that. They don't like me, and they're dicks. Someone with a different name would probably have better luck with the LEAs. :p

Is it on a sign or was it some statement?

Both. I haven't been back since I had these conversations, so signage may have been quietly altered or removed. Dunno.

Always looking for a new place to fish.

Long ride and OC the whole way. Te he he!

this is the Message I sent said:
Per our conversation on the phone, you are correct to reference section 790.06, Concealed Firearms Permits.

However, Florida State Law makes other exceptions to carrying a Firearm with no license at all. This includes while Hunting, Fishing, Camping, or Legal Target Shooting, are all explicitly cited in Florida Statutes for Openly Carrying a Firearm. Also, the trip to and from the location of such activities is explicitly cited in Statutes for Openly Carrying a Firearm.

Note that this is not a matter of "The Law says nothing, so that makes it legal." These are explicit statements in State Law declaring the acceptability and legality of Openly Carrying a Firearm while Fishing, Camping, Hunting, or Target Shooting, or travelling to or from the point of such activity.

(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:

(h) A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

I have removed the unrelated portions for easier reading. If you wish to read this subsection in it's entirety, I have provided the link here:

http://leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/ind...ing=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.25.html

If you wish to look it up for yourself, it is 790.25, a little ways below 790.06. ;-)

You'll note that the Statute specifically states that this provision stands regardless of 790.06 and no permit is needed, nor is concealment required. Per other portions of the Law, it may be construed that Concealment per 790.25 is forbidden, and Openly Carrying is Required.

My contact with you is not to stir the pot or create a challenge. But merely to prevent any unpleasantness with individuals who might attempt to enforce their Opinion instead of the Law. I'm well equipped with legal research and counsel. I wanted to make 790.25 clear and available, as it is not popularly known. It is my desire to educate without litigation.

I could have just shown up with my gun and waited for an illegal/uneducated LEO/Park response. But knowing that this portion of the law is not commonly known, I wanted to present it first and not be a dick about it.

@ AD; If that's rude, improper, uncivilized, etc... Please explain it to me AD. Your continued implication that It MUST be all my fault is an ineffective troll and only makes you look like the sort of LEO I'm glad has retired... The State is not a bunch of good people. Stop trying to convince us that they are by insulting me. Telling everyone to give up their rights only makes you look worse. It isn't going to work.

ADulay

@ AD; If that's rude, improper, uncivilized, etc... Please explain it to me AD. Your continued implication that It MUST be all my fault is an ineffective troll and only makes you look like the sort of LEO I'm glad has retired..

Hey! Try a little decaf.

I think you got the wrong person for your message. I only asked if the problem was with a sign or a person.

I don't believe I've said (or implied) anything else!

AD (still looking forward to a long ride northbound to fish up there)

Also, to clear up any misunderstandings, I am NOT a retired LEO. I'm a retired B-747 Captain. Once I figured out there was way more money and women in flying the 747 instead of driving the patrol car, it all fell into place! And I still got to carry a gun as a Captain!! Woo-Hoo!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

Just putting that line to rest...

Why is it that Conservative types always say that people are responsible for their own actions, but when the State behaves badly, it must be the Citizen's fault for not licking enough boot?

Rich7553

That is exactly what she's saying.

She denies that 790.25 exists.

So, both...

Sorry for the delay in responding. For some reason, my internet connectivity was intermittent. Might have been the cooler temps.

I'll send her an e-mail and depending on her response, I'll forward it to our legal team. Thanks for the report!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Sorry for the delay in responding. For some reason, my internet connectivity was intermittent. Might have been the cooler temps.

I'll send her an e-mail and depending on her response, I'll forward it to our legal team. Thanks for the report!

No worries. It's been months already... I'm rolling down there whether she agrees or not. I don't need her permission.

Last edited:

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Keep in mind that a Freshwater Fishing License would be required, I think it's about $17. The Free Florida Resident Shoreline, or the Saltwater License would not be sufficient.

ADulay

Andy, if you're planning on going up there, would you please take a pic of any signage that may exist? Thanks.

Of course. As I always carry the camera for shots of opportunity (like catching the BIG fish) and things like that, I'm generally aware of those signs and try to keep a lookout for them when entering any of the parks.

AD