• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here's your sign

WalkingWolf

While running errands in Sanford today I stopped in Tractor Supply to pick up a fuel hose. So I ask the girl where the fuel hoses are, and she asks "What are you going to use it for?" I reply "fuel". So she looks and we cannot find the hose, so we ask a male employee where the fuel hoses are, and he asks "What are you going to use it for?". Again my reply is "fuel" and "Here's your sign". They must be Hillary voters, I can't imagine anyone else not knowing a fuel hose is used for fuel.

utbagpiper

Banned
I wonder how often someone walks in asking for "fuel hose" when they are going to use it for something else.

I understand there are parts of the country where a "coke" is not actually a Coca-Cola, but rather the local vernacular for "soft drink". Hence, asking a waitress for a "coke" will naturally result with the question "What kind?" It also leads to ordering things like a "coke sprite" or a "coke mountain dew" or even a "coke coke".

Maybe the clerks need a sign. Or maybe they often get asked for "fuel hose" when someone really just wants to fix the swamp cooler, or needs to run liquid chemicals other than gasoline or diesel through it.

Alternatively, maybe it is a question of whether you are "going to use it" on an ATV, vs "going to use it" on a very large piece of farm equipment. One might need a different sized fuel line than the other.

Some people are idiots. But sometimes, people are not idiots; they have a perfectly valid though different frame of reference from others who just like to be jerks.

Last edited:

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
I wonder how often someone walks in asking for "fuel hose" when they are going to use it for something else.

I understand there are parts of the country where a "coke" is not actually a Coca-Cola, but rather the local vernacular for "soft drink". Hence, asking a waitress for a "coke" will naturally result with the question "What kind?" It also leads to order thinks like a "coke sprite" or a "coke mountain dew" or even a "coke coke".

Maybe the clerks need a sign. Or maybe they often get asked for "fuel hose" when someone really just wants to fix the swamp cooler, or needs to run liquid chemicals other than gasoline or diesel through it.

Alternatively, maybe it is a question of whether you are "going to use it" on an ATV, vs "going to use it" on a very large piece of farm equipment. One might need a different sized fuel line than the other.

Some people are idiots. But sometimes, people are not idiots; they have a perfectly valid though different frame of reference from others who just like to be jerks.
So, are you saying when you come to the fork in the road, take it????????

utbagpiper

Banned
So, are you saying when you come to the fork in the road, take it????????

:)

My biggest problem with liberals is not that they have different views than I do. It isn't even that they want to impose things on me that I find offensive.

Turns out they can fairly say much the same thing about me in relation to them. (Biggest difference is I rarely care to reach across State lines to impose my views but only care to set the culture and mores of my community; while liberals are not content to confine their influence to their neighborhoods, but really must micromanage the entire nation.)

What really gets under my skin is the view, almost universally held among liberals, that conservatives, the religious, and rural residents are idiots deserving of nothing but scorn and in need of the liberals' superior intellect.

While this contempt for most of humanity is nearly universal among the liberal elite, sadly, it is not unknown among conservatives, libertarians, and others.

The OP demonstrated the same contempt for his fellows that I find so offensive in progressives.

He assumed that two clerks, working in a store that carries fuel hose were both complete idiots. Not a second's indication he considered that maybe their question makes perfect sense and is entirely intelligent and legitimate. Maybe something about the exchange, not related here, makes that a reasonable assumption.

Or maybe, some people are just miserable human beings with a pathetically low regard for anyone but themselves.

The possibility that the question from the clerks wasn't based on stupidity seemed worthy of exploration.

Charles

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

My biggest problem with liberals is not that they have different views than I do. It isn't even that they want to impose things on me that I find offensive.

Turns out they can fairly say much the same thing about me in relation to them. (Biggest difference is I rarely care to reach across State lines to impose my views but only care to set the culture and mores of my community; while liberals are not content to confine their influence to their neighborhoods, but really must micromanage the entire nation.)

What really gets under my skin is the view, almost universally held among liberals, that conservatives, the religious, and rural residents are idiots deserving of nothing but scorn and in need of the liberals' superior intellect.

While this contempt for most of humanity is nearly universal among the liberal elite, sadly, it is not unknown among conservatives, libertarians, and others.

The OP demonstrated the same contempt for his fellows that I find so offensive in progressives.

He assumed that two clerks, working in a store that carries fuel hose were both complete idiots. Not a second's indication he considered that maybe their question makes perfect sense and is entirely intelligent and legitimate. Maybe something about the exchange, not related here, makes that a reasonable assumption.

Or maybe, some people are just miserable human beings with a pathetically low regard for anyone but themselves.

The possibility that the question from the clerks wasn't based on stupidity seemed worthy of exploration.

Charles
Saw nothing in the OP that indicated any maligning the clerks as idiots - saw frustration at the unnecessary and illogical responses.

Warning - your next to last sentence is an overt personal insult and not worthy of this forum.

davidmcbeth

Banned
<snip> Biggest difference is I rarely care to reach across State lines to impose my views but only care to set the culture and mores of my community; while liberals are not content to confine their influence to their neighborhoods, but really must micromanage the entire nation.
Charles

I think that most people are most worried about what happens in their own backyard but what happens outside your backyard may eventually creep into your backyard.

I do not limit my self to my local when examining proposed bills .... when I see a law that could affect me when traveling through the state or when I could see my state looking at another's new law and wanting to copy it.

I have given testimony in many state legislatures outside where I live. Its why this forum is so nice..learning of proposed legislation whereas otherwise never be aware of proposed bill. Even bills that fail are useful to reference when discussing other bills that are similar.

So if you want tyranny away from you, stopping it elsewhere may serve that goal.

utbagpiper

Banned
Saw nothing in the OP that indicated any maligning the clerks as idiots

I should think "They must be Hillary voters..." qualifies quite nicely as maligning someone as an idiot. Furthermore, "Here's you sign" is a well known pop culture reference to the Bill Engvall and Travis Tritt song, "Here's Your Sign". There are standup comic routines based on this.

(fair use excerpt of the song)

Here's Your Sign lyrics said:
I just hate stupid people
They should have to wear signs that just say I'm stupid.
That way you wouldn't rely on them, would you?

The implication is quite clear and it is unbecoming to suggest otherwise. The OP clearly derided the clerks for being stupid, or idiots if one likes synonyms.

- saw frustration at the unnecessary and illogical responses.

Circular logic. The OP reacted with derision because he assumes the response was unnecessary and illogical. I pointed out why his assumption may well be in error.

After all, in much of the country, asking "What kind?" when someone orders a "coke" might seem unnecessary and illogical. But if local vernacular means that a "coke" is just a generic soft drink, then the question makes perfect sense, as does order a "sprite coke" or a "coke coke".

Warning - your next to last sentence is an overt personal insult and not worthy of this forum.

Really? An overt insult toward whom? color of law to whom I was responding? Obviously not. Some other, un-named forum member? That would be rank speculation and so demonstrably not "overt". At worst, indirect and far more subtle than a lot else that is allowed to stand on this forum without comment or warning from the admins.

I very specifically did not make any reference to anyone on this forum. I write in general terms. I understand and intend to abide the rules of the forum at least as well as any member of the insider club.

No insult was intended to any forum member. Nor should any member of the forum take such as an insult. But if the shoe fits and someone chooses to take offense where none was intended, I can't hardly be blamed for how others choose to feel.

But if you feel the need to censor or censure, you'll do as you see fit, I'm sure.

Charles

davidmcbeth

Banned
Saw nothing in the OP that indicated any maligning the clerks as idiots - saw frustration at the unnecessary and illogical responses.

OP's first post said "here's your sign" which many may see as calling them idiots.

But who cares ... not naming anyone, hardly a "personal attack" that needs moderation.

Or, maybe on this point, I'm an idiot (not that I'm wrong~I'm never wrong, just mistaken) for posting here.

WalkingWolf

OP's first post said "here's your sign" which many may see as calling them idiots.

But who cares ... not naming anyone, hardly a "personal attack" that needs moderation.

Or, maybe on this point, I'm an idiot (not that I'm wrong~I'm never wrong, just mistaken) for posting here.

Now if I had been asked by another member "Why do you ignore certain members?"

And I replied "Because they have nothing important to say, Here's your sign!" Then maybe that can be construed as a personal insult, but probably not.