• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hocking Hills

Derek Jones

I've rented a cabin for my family in Hocking Hills and I want to know if the property owner can 'legally' restrict open or conceal carry, or even 'ban' guns from the property. I thought hotels and lodging and rentals etc couldn't do this anymore in Ohio since like 08-09 law changes, or am I wrong? Please correct me if I am wrong. I ask because I thought all the cabins were in Wayne State Park and the laws in national parks have changed in regards to guns. Also, doesn't Ohio law preempt all local laws?

Any information would be helpful. Thank you.

Last edited:

Brian D.

I'm guessing Derek meant the cabins are privately owned and within the boundaries of Wayne National Forest. Totally different entity, many people own property in National Forests and could post as they please. No change in Ohio law would have affected that.

Animalou812

When you rent a cabin you become the tenant
ORC 2923.126 (C) (3) (B)
(b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant's guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

(c) As used in division (C)(3) of this section:

(i) "Residential premises" has the same meaning as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code, except "residential premises" does not include a dwelling unit that is owned or operated by a college or university.

(ii) "Landlord," "tenant," and "rental agreement" have the same meanings as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RT48

When you rent a cabin you become the tenant
ORC 2923.126 (C) (3) (B)
(b) A landlord may not prohibit or restrict a tenant who is a licensee and who on or after September 9, 2008, enters into a rental agreement with the landlord for the use of residential premises, and the tenant's guest while the tenant is present, from lawfully carrying or possessing a handgun on those residential premises.

(c) As used in division (C)(3) of this section:

(i) "Residential premises" has the same meaning as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code, except "residential premises" does not include a dwelling unit that is owned or operated by a college or university.

(ii) "Landlord," "tenant," and "rental agreement" have the same meanings as in section 5321.01 of the Revised Code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except:

(C) "Residential premises" means a dwelling unit for residential use and occupancy and the structure of which it is a part, the facilities and appurtenances in it, and the grounds, areas, and facilities for the use of tenants generally or the use of which is promised the tenant. "Residential premises" includes a dwelling unit that is owned or operated by a college or university. "Residential premises" does not include any of the following:

(3) Tourist homes, hotels, motels, recreational vehicle parks, recreation camps, combined park-camps, temporary park-camps, and other similar facilities where circumstances indicate a transient occupancy;

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/5321