• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Holster That Racks the Slide

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Here is a holster that racks the slide as part of the drawing motion. I wonder how this thing might work for those OCers who live where law requires an empty chamber. It seems to have a retention device at the top of the slide. I wonder how safe is one of these holsters in respect to shooting yourself while drawing.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b6e_1357090174

It looks like it can be carried with a round chambered, too. Just flip the retention device and draw without the racking motion. The downside is that if you forget you chambered a round before holstering, and then perform the racking motion, you might draw a gun jammed by a double-feed. I guess the same would apply if you shot several rounds, holstered without clearing the chamber, and then did the rack/draw to shoot some more.

Last edited:

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Does the downward motion actually rack the slide, or does it just release the locking mechanism? Tough to tell from the video.

WalkingWolf

Does the downward motion actually rack the slide, or does it just release the locking mechanism? Tough to tell from the video.

I wondered the same thing.

I watched it a couple more times and I do believe she is racking the slide.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I have seen a kydex like holster for the russian Makarov. You push down and thru the holster and it racks on the downward. Kind of a circular motion, counter clockwise. I will look for a pic.

EFA-2K RH Draw gun holster originally was designed for Russian military special forces (Spetsnaz) and was tested to withstand the harshest weather conditions and physical mistreatment. The holster retains its effectiveness even after being submerged in water or sand. Since this device is made from special polymer plastic, it is very durable and only breaks if purposely destroyed. The gun needs to be positioned into the holster without round in the chamber, with the safety ON, and a loaded magazine. There are two ways how to remove the gun from the holster:
1. If the gun is pulled upward, it functions like a regular holster (without loading the gun).
2. To load the gun quickly with one hand, push the gun downward through the holster. The special holster mechanism will switch safety off, send a round to the chamber, and cock the hammer. The gun is ready to shoot less than a second. This holster works with any Makarov models: Russian, German, Bulgarian, Chinese, Makarych, Izh-71, Izh79-9T, PM.

http://getrussiangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Here is a holster that racks the slide as part of the drawing motion. I wonder how this thing might work for those OCers who live where law requires an empty chamber. It seems to have a retention device at the top of the slide. I wonder how safe is one of these holsters in respect to shooting yourself while drawing.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b6e_1357090174

It looks like it can be carried with a round chambered, too. Just flip the retention device and draw without the racking motion. The downside is that if you forget you chambered a round before holstering, and then perform the racking motion, you might draw a gun jammed by a double-feed. I guess the same would apply if you shot several rounds, holstered without clearing the chamber, and then did the rack/draw to shoot some more.

Where can someone carry with an empty chamber and a full magazine attached to the gun, but not with a round in the chamber? Or where is it required to carry with an empty chamber?

WalkingWolf

Where can someone carry with an empty chamber and a full magazine attached to the gun, but not with a round in the chamber? Or where is it required to carry with an empty chamber?

I believe there are a few states that without a permit the gun must be unloaded in the vehicle. Some open carry folks in those states chose not to rack a round in and out of the chamber while transferring from unloaded state to loaded state. So when they leave their vehicle they insert a magazine and do not rack a round.

EMNofSeattle

Im lazy and running late so no cite at the moment, but doesn't Utah require unloaded OC without a permit and unloaded is defined as two mechanical operations (rack the slide, 2 pull the trigger) ?

I think Utah is the answer, but take what I say with a grain of salt...

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

It is most visible in the last demonstration before she gets on the motorcycle.

For a fleeting instant, I thought I saw a barrel and guide rod project from the bottom of the holster, so I paused, scrolled back a tiny bit, and then rapidly clicked to start and pause a few times. There is a point where you can plainly see both the barrel and the guide rod projecting from the bottom of the holster.

Aknazer

OC in Utah without a permit is the only place that I know of.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I'm only an expert in three states, but UT is one of them.

You guys are correct. Without a permit (from any state or county), a semi-auto can have a fully loaded magazine, but nothing in the chamber, when on a public highway not in a private vehicle. If you are on private property or in a private vehicle this archaic rule does not apply.

That said, even the most ardent OC'ers that I know in UT have a permit and can carry fully loaded.

EDIT: I'm only in UT a couple times a year, and it's safe to say I don't know most of the OC'ers.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I wonder how many times it fails to feed?

Especially with some guns, less than full recoil spring pressure when closing the slide can cause problems. And it looks like the slide going forward is going to be the same speed as your hand coming back up in the draw. The recoil spring might even be helping push up the hand.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
I'm only an expert in three states, but UT is one of them.

You guys are correct. Without a permit (from any state or county), a semi-auto can have a fully loaded magazine, but nothing in the chamber, when on a public highway not in a private vehicle. If you are on private property or in a private vehicle this archaic rule does not apply.

That said, even the most ardent OC'ers that I know in UT have a permit and can carry fully loaded.

Early in OCDO history, the conversation came up more often. Utah sounds familiar in that context. I guess over time things shifted to OCers just getting permits, or maybe it was OCers too young to get permits, or lotsa new OCers coming aboard. But, I can't recall having heard about it much in the last couple years.

MikeTheGreek

I have seen a kydex like holster for the russian Makarov. You push down and thru the holster and it racks on the downward. Kind of a circular motion, counter clockwise. I will look for a pic.

EFA-2K RH Draw gun holster originally was designed for Russian military special forces (Spetsnaz) and was tested to withstand the harshest weather conditions and physical mistreatment. The holster retains its effectiveness even after being submerged in water or sand. Since this device is made from special polymer plastic, it is very durable and only breaks if purposely destroyed. The gun needs to be positioned into the holster without round in the chamber, with the safety ON, and a loaded magazine. There are two ways how to remove the gun from the holster:
1. If the gun is pulled upward, it functions like a regular holster (without loading the gun).
2. To load the gun quickly with one hand, push the gun downward through the holster. The special holster mechanism will switch safety off, send a round to the chamber, and cock the hammer. The gun is ready to shoot less than a second. This holster works with any Makarov models: Russian, German, Bulgarian, Chinese, Makarych, Izh-71, Izh79-9T, PM.

http://getrussiangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1

I've been looking at this Spetsnaz holster for years, it's supposed to be pretty amazing. To the best of my knowledge they're hard to find.

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/c-equip_belts.htm

^ This website has them, AND they have a holster that is like the one in the video, made for Glock-17, 19, 22, 23, 31, & 32. You push down, it chambers a round, & then you pull up to unholster.

What a sweet design.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
This type of holster sure wouldn't work with my XDs .45 which requires a slide going into battery driven as fast as the recoil spring can move it. Most people are unsuccessful the first time they try to do it manually instead of from the recommended release from slide lock.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
This type of holster sure wouldn't work with my XDs .45 which requires a slide going into battery driven as fast as the recoil spring can move it. ....

In its defense on this, this is a holster designed for a full-size service sidearm, not a subcompact like an XD(s).

But the point is valid, as I brought up earlier. There are some full-size guns that are finicky in this regard as well.

I feel sorry for those whose laws, employment procedures, or training do not allow them to carry fully loaded.

WalkingWolf

The people most affected would probably be the military, and I don't see the services adopting this holster. They want the chamber to remain empty until the last possible moment under dire circumstances. For whatever the reason valid or not it is not going to change, and I doubt they want a round racked before drawing, or they would just allow a chambered round. IMO I thought it was silly to go to a double action semi auto and stay with the empty chamber drill.