• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

homeowner breaks shovel on gunman, gets shot in process.

carry for myself

http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2011/11/18/news/cops_and_courts/doc4ec6883ba3b7d708298342.txt

67-year-old Troy man was shot Thursday night after the shovel he was using to ward off the shooter broke at the handle.

+1 for effort.

-10 for stupidity. if a ARMED gunman wants my significant others jewelry, and all i have a shovel.........he can have the jewelry , that can be replaced. my life cannot, neither can my significant others.

now if i have a pistol..........im putting him down no question about it. but in this case. guy should have just given him what he wanted and only fought back if he attempted to kill one of them

j4l

Just goes to show, that when utilizing gardening/home-improvement implements for CQB, shot-placement is indeed critical...

:banghead:

lil_freak_66

+1 for effort.

-10 for stupidity. if a ARMED gunman wants my significant others jewelry, and all i have a shovel.........he can have the jewelry , that can be replaced. my life cannot, neither can my significant others.

now if i have a pistol..........im putting him down no question about it. but in this case. guy should have just given him what he wanted and only fought back if he attempted to kill one of them

lol shovels can be very good weapons if kept up properly and used correctly.

i have an old surplus tri folding entrenching shovel.i keep it sharpened almost as good as my hunting knife, if i whacked somebody with it, id expect similar effects as the knife, though its not as sharp, the extra mass would give it the penetration power.

id have fought back even if not armed with anything, no telling if he is going to kill or rape me or my wife anyways, might as well try and scare him off and hope you deter him or cause enough noise and hold him off long enough for help to arrive.

SFCRetired

lol shovels can be very good weapons if kept up properly and used correctly.

i have an old surplus tri folding entrenching shovel.i keep it sharpened almost as good as my hunting knife, if i whacked somebody with it, id expect similar effects as the knife, though its not as sharp, the extra mass would give it the penetration power.

id have fought back even if not armed with anything, no telling if he is going to kill or rape me or my wife anyways, might as well try and scare him off and hope you deter him or cause enough noise and hold him off long enough for help to arrive.

I had it from a good source that many of the front line troops during WWI sharpened the edges of their entrenching tools to use as weapons. It was said that they found them more effective than the issue trench knife.

The source? A WWI infantryman that my Dad introduced me to many years ago.

carry for myself

true.....but this man did not have a sharpened trenching tool.....probably had a cheapo walmart plastic or flat brimmed gravel shovel. thats why i gave him the +1 for effort. but in the grand scheme.........the BG got away...and he got shot.lol i feel bad for his situation but odds are he could have gotten away unharmed if he had thought about it differently

JoeSparky

Centurion
+1 for effort.

The quoted post is Making the ASSUMPTION that the end intent of the BG was JUST PROPERTY!!!!!!

Last edited:

steelhawk

If more people fought back, there would be less crime. You don't know what the BG is going to do. He may just take your property or he may also eliminate the witness.

Badger Johnson

Hah, there were a couple robbery and HI attempts where just seeing a guy's wife looking cross scared away some cowardly burglars.

If all you have is a shovel, believe me, you use what you have. We don't know if the guy had a gun stashed in the attic/closet. If he got winged and the guy ran off it's not a bad outcome compared to some.

We sit here on the forum, carrying on our person 16/7 blustering about how we'd slap leather, but if you haven't had to fight off an ambush, you don't know where even having your gun would enable you to deploy and put the front sight where it needs to be. A lot of time people don't remember pulling and shooting and even clearing the firearm, and just 'come to' when the event is over.

I'm just glad he was able to fight back.

$.02

MilProGuy

It just goes to show you...don't mess with us old guys!

I wouldn't have cowered down and given in to the intruder's demands without a fight of some kind. I'd have grabbed any handy shovel, golf club, or broom handle to ward off some POS who shoved my wife down.

With me, though, a BG is not going to catch me without a handgun on my side.

okboomer

I agree that fighting back with whatever was handy is the only way to deal with a robber. IMHO, one of the reasons robbers are bolder is that for the past 40 years, LEO have been telling folks to give up the property as their life is more valuable. Well, that works when the robber is only after the property. The question then becomes, will he only take the property or will he then be enboldened to assault me or sig other by our apparant submission?

Too many uncertainties for me to rely upon the good intentions (after robbing me?) of a criminal to not escalate the robbery into assault and battery or even killing.

If he wants what I have, then he needs to go out and work for it the same as I did. If he won't do that, then he attempts to take it from me at his own risk.

And, yes, I have several e-tools around the property that are kept sharp and used regularly ;) Along with several fixed blades from bowie knives to sabers in display areas to disguise their defensive nature :cool: