• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Hopkinton State Fair

eBratt

imported post

I'm looking to go out ot the Hopkinton State Fair today. As far as general legalities go, it appears legal that I carry. The only places I noticed that I cannot carry is in a courthouse.

I am wondering about signage issues. Does signage carry weight of law on trespass issues?

Secondly, is this actually a state run fair? I can't tell from the website. I would imagine that a state run fair would fall under New Hampshire state firearm preemption.

Ethan

doobie

imported post

eBratt wrote:
I'm looking to go out ot the Hopkinton State Fair today. As far as general legalities go, it appears legal that I carry. The only places I noticed that I cannot carry is in a courthouse.

I am wondering about signage issues. Does signage carry weight of law on trespass issues?

Secondly, is this actually a state run fair? I can't tell from the website. I would imagine that a state run fair would fall under New Hampshire state firearm preemption.

Ethan
Concealed carry is concealed carry for a reason. Don't ask, don't tell. The only thing that holds weight is state and federal laws, as well as being asked to leave and not (and in that case it is trespass, not a firearm violation).

ScottNH

imported post

doobie wrote:
eBratt wrote:

Ethan
Concealed carry is concealed carry for a reason. Don't ask, don't tell. The only thing that holds weight is state and federal laws, as well as being asked to leave and not (and in that case it is trespass, not a firearm violation).
I'm confused (this happens a lot, I'm afraid). Why would you say this on a site called "OpenCarry.org," when the OP didn't ask about concealed carry, but then, I'm not sure why you'd dredge up a post about the Hopkinton State Fair almost 10 months after the fair, either. I'm pretty sure his questions dealt with signage issues and state preemption.

doobie

imported post

I accidentally resurrected the post because I just joined the site and didn't realize there were 1+ year old posts, and no one had responded.

If it is public/city/state property they can't refuse you entry/kick you out for OC'ing. If it is private property they may refuse you entry/ask you to leave (in which case if you don't it's trespassing).

The OP said he doesn't go anywhere he can't carry. I thought I'd seen some non-OC posts so I assumed to err on the side of caution and say, "they can't refuse you entry if they don't know you have a pistol."

If the OP did in fact go to an event at the HSF while OC'ing I'd like to know the outcome.

AFAIK signage does not count toward trespass for firearms (unless you are hunting on posted land)