• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House Bill 2 - Clarifying "concealed", and other changes

Nascar24Glock

Hey admin people... time to change Ms. from green to orange on your map!

http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=103

Congrats to Ms.!! I've Oc'ed in Picyune and Waveland on occation, but always with the possibility of harrasement. We're never completely free from that possibility, but the I believe the odds are seriously improved. Great news!

Actually, since Mississippi will now have (1) unlicensed open carry, (2) the ability to carry in a car without a permit, and (3) preemption of local laws, I think Mississippi will qualify as a gold star open carry state.

MSRebel54

As you know the new law doesn't legalize anything, it clarifies something that has always been a constitutionally protected right.

Exactly. But we here in Mississippi are very glad to finally have it worded in no uncertain terms. Now, an opinion like the AG's of last year could not even occur, without looking like a complete blithering moron. This fix was way overdue, but I'm glad it finally happened.

Chap

Outstanding, congrats to those people who stayed on top of this.

Maybe another Waffle House lunch is in order for July.

Chap

MSRebel54

I'm going to try to be careful how I say this, as it is not my intention to ruffle feathers, but I was surprised to find this out. Many of us through the years have kept up with what was happening on the "in whole or in part" thing, and have written our congressmen, and tried to educate ourselves, law enforcement, and others about it's flaw. Now that our lawmakers have finally brought the Mississippi code and the Constitution into conformity with regard to this, I was going to register at msgunowners and express my pleasure. But before I registered, I began reading some of the posts, and it seems that there is a good many that are skeptical, if not out right hostile on people having the undisputed choice to open or conceal carry.

I got the feeling that some thought we were not intelligent enough to make a decision as to when to open carry and when to conceal carry, that if approached we would somehow make a spectacle of ourselves, have wrong answers, or hurt the reputation of concealed carry somehow. This idea that no one should open carry because it may make others around them "uncomfortable" or "nervous" is the one that really got me.

Isn't that one of the points of open carry? To let people get used to seeing it, and that they should no more feel uncomfortable about it than they would if it were a cell phone. That a good guy with a gun is still a good guy with a gun whether or not he's been given a magic badge. If you are uncomfortable with my rights, that's your problem, but I'm not going to voluntarily give any of them up, because someone is uncomfortable about them. That would be like giving up my right to write this post if someone found it uncomfortable or offensive. Or giving up a choice to wear a jacket with a hoodie on it, or cammo because it makes some people uncomfortable.

It is the people who are uncomfortable that need to change their attitude, not those of us exercising a right. These people need to think, if there were three people in a store with properly holstered sidearms, would they be safer or less safe? The politically correct atmosphere has tried to (and been fairly successful at) equating "gun" with "criminal". We need to reverse that trend.

I did not register at the other forum, since it looked like I might be jumping into something a lot of them didn't want to hear.

Chap

I'm a member over there but frequent this OC forum daily.

Thanks for the heads up. I just noticed the Meet & Greet in May.

I penciled my self in to attend the Meet & Greet.

I really don't care what others think if I CC or OC. To each their own opinion. I did read through the comments, noticed mostly the fear of companies possibly posting no gun signs after 1Jul13 in fear of OC carriers. I hope not but will accommodate buisness owners by shopping else where.