• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

House rejects Capitol gun restriction

rlh2005

Founder's Club Member
imported post

My source but elsewhere as well:

House rejects Capitol gun restriction
The Associated Press
RICHMOND, Va.

The House of Delegates overwhelmingly rejected a proposal Wednesday to restrict the possession of guns at the Virginia Capitol.

The House voted 77-18 to reject Delegate Lionel Spruill's proposed change in House rules. The rule would have prohibited guns only in areas of Capitol Square controlled by the House, which has no say over space controlled by the Senate.

House Republican Leader Morgan Griffith said that was a major flaw in the proposal. He also said that while the proposal exempted police officers, visiting dignitaries would be unable to bring their armed bodyguards.

Spruill said some citizens visiting the Capitol earlier this week felt unsafe because gun-rights activists were on the grounds carrying their firearms.

bohdi

imported post

Gee, considering that there wasn't one scuffle, I guess you can say this proves there is no need to "feel" unsafe with so many armed citizens present. Of course, that'll never make it to press -- until I YouTube it :D

stryth

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
I wonder who felt unsafe?
Isn't Spruill the very same man that wants the distracting anatomical bumber decorations banned?

stryth

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Gee, considering that there wasn't one scuffle, I guess you can say this proves there is no need to "feel" unsafe with so many armed citizens present. Of course, that'll never make it to press -- until I YouTube it :D
And yet somehow they managed to feel unsafe anyway. One Older man with a yellow sticker was walking around the sea of orange "guns save lives" stickers as I was preparing to take a photograph and he flinched in fear as I raised my camera for a picture. Mind you, this is with 5 officers standing a few feet off to the side.

Every time I see one of their protests, or even interact with them I'm shocked by something between their offensiveness, mentality, or sheer stupidity. On the upside I can give their lead liar a good deal of credit when it comes to my having joined the VCDL and become active in second amendment protesting and lobbying.

Edit: minor spelling/grammar

ChinChin

imported post

bohdi wrote:
Gee, considering that there wasn't one scuffle,

Correction, there was one minor incident. An anti went hands-on with one of ours when we stood around their hippie lie-in demonstration.

The political party of peace is quite often the instigator in situations such as this. When you can't debate the issues with any sucess, you hit. Even a 4 year old knows that isn't acceptable.

vrwmiller

imported post

rlh2005 wrote:
I wonder who felt unsafe?
Chuck Colgan and his aide were uncomfortable.

Myself, Jeff Knox, and a couple other people from his district went into his office to express our views and opinions to him. As we were waiting for Senator Colgan to finish up his last meeting, we were waiting in his aide's office.

We were all concealed, however, someone did have a shoulder rig on that had a strap across the chest. She asked...

"Does he have a gun?!?!" with a surprised look on her face.

"Yes, he does." I replied

"I don't like guns" she said

"Your boss doesn't either" I said ;)

We remained in the aide's office for a few minutes and were called into Senator Colgan's office. We were speaking to Colgan and Jeff Knox brought up the fact that his gun was safe right where it was on his hip and Colgan's eyes lit up with concern.

It's no surprise. Colgan is an anti-gunner all the way. He did say, however, that he felt that that the existing gun laws were fine and that more did not need to be put in place.

unrequited

imported post

ChinChin wrote:
bohdi wrote:

Correction, there was one minor incident.  An anti went hands-on with one of ours when we stood around their hippie lie-in demonstration. 

The political party of peace is quite often the instigator in situations such as this. When you can't debate the issues with any sucess, you hit.  Even a 4 year old knows that isn't acceptable.
I hadn't heard about that one... did it turn into an assault/battery charge?

ChinChin

imported post

unrequited wrote:
ChinChin wrote:
bohdi wrote:

Correction, there was one minor incident. An anti went hands-on with one of ours when we stood around their hippie lie-in demonstration.

The political party of peace is quite often the instigator in situations such as this. When you can't debate the issues with any sucess, you hit. Even a 4 year old knows that isn't acceptable.
I hadn't heard about that one... did it turn into an assault/battery charge?
I was late in getting to the area where the anti's attempted to hold their protest, so I only heard about it second hand from somebody who was standing near our person who got shoved. I think they opted to turn the other cheek. yet another sign of how the gun rights crowd are civil and cordial whereas the anti's behave like spoiled 4 year olds who throw tantrums when they don't get their way.

bohdi

imported post

I stand corrected :D it would be interesting if any of the cameras in the area caught it on tape. Got any more information of about where it was? Slim chance I may have caught it, but better chance I missed it.