• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you carry?

Slade McCuiston

Welcome aboard OCDO, Slade.

By the looks of your jeans, you must be a country gentleman :)

Thanks for the warm welcome, Grapeshot. I've been lurking this place for a year, maybe two. After a while, I can't keep myself from joining and (trying to) contribute. And yes, I live and work on a farm in Western KY. Actually, I was using a hand-sheller to shell corn for my horse when that photo was taken, but I cropped it down just to show the 1911/holster.

kinggabby

I open carry almost everywhere. Except for a few places ( school, post office, courthouse or library ). Have my Glock 30SF in a Serpa holster whether I carry open or concealed. And I always carry one in the pipe and +1 .

7om5hipp

I will have to get a picture up to show you, but I carry a Nagant. The way I draw just feels right to me, if that makes sense.

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Tapatalk

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Glad you are comfortable with your Nagant

I will have to get a picture up to show you, but I carry a Nagant. The way I draw just feels right to me, if that makes sense.

Sent from my SCH-R960 using Tapatalk

I too have carried the Nagant, though I used the issue flap holster.

Having extensively tested both the Nagant and the RG-14, I believe that the Nagant is the superior revolver for personal defense.

I prefer my Swedish Nagant, converted to .22 rimfire, over the Russian version, because ammunition is far cheaper and easier to obtain.

Any gun beats no gun in the vast majority of situations.

For the last several years, I have generally carried a Glock.

7om5hipp

Finding ammo is not that hard for me, I have a store here that sells a box of 14 for about 5 dollars. They deal with a bit of the russian ammo. I like the Nagant myself and I use a blackhawk #2 holster for mine, works out pretty well. I am looking into a semi-auto, been looking at Hi-Point since I don't need anything high end.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Finding ammo is not that hard for me, I have a store here that sells a box of 14 for about 5 dollars. They deal with a bit of the russian ammo. I like the Nagant myself and I use a blackhawk #2 holster for mine, works out pretty well. I am looking into a semi-auto, been looking at Hi-Point since I don't need anything high end.

"High end" is not a need, it is a want for some.

Many stock/production line handguns have as standard items once considered custom.

High point has an excellent lifetime, no questions asked, warranty that passes to all future owners and from what I have heard they are quite reliable.

Last edited:

ccwinstructor

Centurion
What Nagant ammo are you using?

I bought a case of Russian target ammo for the Nagant when I had several. I was not impressed with its performance. I hope you are getting the full power loads. I also hear that Fiocci make some decent ammo for the Russian Nagant at a price not much more than what you are paying.

Here is a source for both Privi Partizan and Fiocchi 98 grain FMJ flat point for $26.95 and $27.95 respectively. It is a little higher per round than what your are paying, but I hear the Fiocci has a good reputation.

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/pistol-ammo-762-nagant

WalkingWolf

You can use the .32 H&R magnum in the nagant. It is a pretty common practice. The rounds will not protrude like nagant rounds do but you should not lose that much plus you can load hollow points. 32-20 casing can be used to emulate the nagant round but again they are not long enough to protrude from the cylinder. You would need nagant dies to load 32-20 brass. And then some people just convert the nagants to 32-20, which is what I would do if I would have bought one when they were less than a 100 bucks. I screwed up by not buying a box of them.

Firearms Iinstuctor

My brother brought 6 to 10 of them after testing and playing with them we decide they were not worth the trouble.

WW you said many time the modern S@W triggers were horrible they are many times better then any Nagant I tried

Under powered late 1890 design that is interesting but not very practical when there are so many better ones out there.

Other then a novelty or if one could absolutely not get any thing else they would be better then no gun.

Back when we brought the Nagants we brought used British police Model 10 imports for 100.00 dollars and Star Supers for 90.00 far superior arms.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

My brother brought 6 to 10 of them after testing and playing with them we decide they were not worth the trouble.

WW you said many time the modern S@W triggers were horrible they are many times better then any Nagant I tried

Under powered late 1890 design that is interesting but not very practical when there are so many better ones out there.

Other then a novelty or if one could absolutely not get any thing else they would be better then no gun.

Back when we brought the Nagants we brought used British police Model 10 imports for 100.00 dollars and Star Supers for 90.00 far superior arms.
Old S&W revolvers were quality, the new ones running well over 500 dollars up to over 1000 are not worth the money. Plus their departure from pinned barrels to a barrel shroud which was a bad decision for Charter Arms, why would it be a good idea for S&W. S&W quality control sucks, they should be ashamed.

The old Nagants were at one time very very inexpensive, and they had a heavy double pull, but they did not cost a grand. For a small game revolver they were a good buy, as well as a self defense for someone with a very tight budget.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I guess we would have to disagree on the usefulness of an Nagant,

I would take almost any 22rf pistol over one with ammo cost of the Nagant of over 4 times that of 22.

One could easy up grade to a decent 22 just in ammo savings. The cost of a cheap gun isn't always what it seems.

Accuracy wasn't that great around 2 inches at 50 feet.

Nope not a very good handgun at all in IMHO.

How many rounds have you put through your Nagant? Having played with them in every thing from 22rf to 7.62x25 I jus t haven't found them to be that useful.

Last edited:

7om5hipp

I tend to put seven rounds through it a week, sometimes more depending on how much fun I am having at the time and I have owned it for over a year now. Standing about 25 feet away from my target I am able to hit what I aim for and since I am aiming at a man sized target I hit center mass every time.

I understand people consider the round underpowered and it is when compared to other weapons, but what a lot of people tend to not realize is that when you use a weapon for defense you are not going to be shooting at great ranges, it will be up close most of the time. And the Nagant is a battle proven weapon, plus who here would let me shoot at them with the Nagant? If it is that bad you surely would not have a problem standing there, right?

And sorry if that seems a bit tense, I just get tired of people bashing a weapon just because they don't like it.

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I glad you enjoy your Nagant I enjoyed finding out about their capabilities also. They are a unique pistol with a lot of history behind them.

Do you know the year your Nagant was made? There should be a year date on the earliest one I handled was made in 1914.

I encourage you to continue the wonderful world of owning many different handguns.

Who said I didn't like them just pointing out that their capabilities are limited.

Out of the hundreds of different guns I have owned and shot I have a hard time saying I found I I really didn't like.

Last edited:

7om5hipp

Mine is stamped 1926, it is the oldest one I have seen around this area in stores. I would love to find an older one to add to my collection. I do have a question though, people talk about shooting other calibers through the Nagant, do I need to have something different in order to do that or will they fire from the pistol as is?

Firearms Iinstuctor

A bunch of Swedish ones that were imported where converted to 22rf. A couple companies made conversion cylinders for them in 32acp and 7.62x25.

Having all three in the vault ,

I found when I chronograph the 7.62x25 they gave about the same velocity as the original Nagant ammo that was checked. Most likely due to the Cly. gap.

WalkingWolf

Mine is stamped 1926, it is the oldest one I have seen around this area in stores. I would love to find an older one to add to my collection. I do have a question though, people talk about shooting other calibers through the Nagant, do I need to have something different in order to do that or will they fire from the pistol as is?

You can shoot 32 H&R magnum in the Nagant as is, stick with factory loads or less though. The 32 H&R is very under-loaded that is why the Nagant can handle the round.

With reloading equipment the 32-20 case can be run through a Nagant dies making it fit the Nagant. It still will not be as long as the casing on the Nagant military round, but the difference in power will be minimal. And then the Nagant can be re-chambered to accept 32-20 standard factory rounds.

I do not own a Nagant myself, though I have shot one, and it was extremely accurate, maybe I shot a fluke. I grew up though shooting rabbits with a 1849 31 caliber pocket pistol consistently. Most guns are capable of good accuracy, the problem is shooter usually. I have owned a few guns that were capable of amazing accuracy out of the box, but most are capable of taking small game at 15 yards more or less. From what I have heard of the coveted Glock it is not capable as a small game hunting gun. For survival I would pick a Nagant over a Glock any day, and if you can't eat you will die whether at the hands of a bad guy or starving.

While I do not own a Nagant I do own a Colt 32-20 and would again take it over a Glock. But then I prefer revolvers.