• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you carry.

falconeddy

I'm looking for a new belt for EDC what kind of belt do you use when you carry.

Always Carry.

VicBerg

I honsestly just got a decent 1 1/2'' belt from Walmart and it's worked.

Griz

I've tried the cheap belts (Wally's, Kohls, etc.) they just don't do very well for holding up a 1911. Don't get me wrong, you can find an inexpensive belt to keep your pants up and they will last a long time. But for carrying either concealed or open, nothing beats a nearly 1/4" thick piece of bullhide designed for heavy use.

After shopping around a bit, I got a http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Black-Smooth-Edge-BullHide-Belt_p_175.html. It keeps my pistol locked to my side very well, making the draw much smoother.

Sorry if I sound like a shill, but this is my first real belt and it does an outstanding job.

4angrybadgers

http://www.hanksclothing.com/hanks_amish_belts_ccw_the_gunner.html

I think the categories were renamed since I bought my last belt a few years ago, but it's the same manufacturer. I have one black and one brown - brown was the first, ~4 years ago, black 2-3 years ago, and I wear one of them every day. The brown has lost some of its stiffness, the black is still fairly stiff. No regrets buying either.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
Tried cheap belts - didn't hold things up very well.

Heavy leather belts - wouldn't fit dress pants, worked OK with jeans, OK but not great for holding a gun.

Either of the above with suspenders - worked better, but a PITA.

5.11 Tactical Belt

Leather belt with stiffener insert - works well on dress pants or jeans. Wear it every day, and no problems.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Tried cheap belts - didn't hold things up very well.

Heavy leather belts - wouldn't fit dress pants, worked OK with jeans, OK but not great for holding a gun.

Either of the above with suspenders - worked better, but a PITA.

5.11 Tactical Belt

Leather belt with stiffener insert - works well on dress pants or jeans. Wear it every day, and no problems.
After the same experiences I got 2 black and a brown of the 5.11 belts about 7 years ago. The stiffener around the buckle holes I use broke long ago but the overall integrity didn't suffer. The black ones are starting to get a bit ragged and maybe ready to seperate on the edges where my holster sits and at the back belt loop. About time for a replacement. But the longest a belt has ever lasted for me.

Samopal

I bought a stiff, thick belt from Kohl's. It was excellent for about two months. I didn't realize the two layers weren't actually stitched together until they started peeling apart and splitting at the notches. Figured there was no point stitching a belt that was already falling apart, so I'm just wearing my old dress belt until I get something else. Admittedly it isn't holding up to the weight of a CZ 75that well either so I need a proper gun belt soon.

JustJack

Bought a $12 belt at Wal-Mart. Stiff poly core with a nylon over-layer, with leather stitched over the nylon on the inside and outside. Was advertised as a 'work belt' for carpenters/contractors. The leather (and only the leather) around the hole that I use most has started to crack a little, but it's stiff as hell and doesn't sag with my S&W SD9 on it daily.

solus

raising hand for the 511 belts as i have never enjoy one last as long and and yet allow me to feel secure my firearm is appropriately maintained on my hip. further it compensates for my my dunlap disease very nicely which is also quire appreciated.

cabledawg

Being in the military, I don't have a shortage of thick nylon belts. I have my favorite, an old blue one from the days of BDU's, that is finally getting "floppy". It still holds a full frame up pretty well, but not as well as my newer tan ones. My current one is a Spec-Ops brand, but it's too new to give a good review on long term durability.

ron73440

I just use a regular leather belt, it's pretty thick, but nothing special.

I also line my holster up so it goes around a belt loop and that helps support it.

WalkingWolf

I use a 1 7/8 CW leather belt hot waxed, works fine and did not cost an arm and a leg. My wife uses a 1 3/4 cotton belt from Wally World that has been hot waxed also. Both belts work very well, and between the two cost less than one specialty belt. A person that is somewhat useful with their hands can easily make their own double layer belt for under 25 dollars. If you do your own you can also half line a belt which makes it more comfortable, and still provides support for the gun.

With pancake and slide holsters, a normal garrison belt works just fine. The university issued us single layer basket-weave black garrison belt with pancake holsters. Never had a problem with them, but I was skinny back then, and that makes a difference. Don't count on any belt if you are overweight to hold up your pants and a gun. Buy suspenders.

Last edited:

cabledawg

Odd question but it kinda fits in this thread: who here uses belt keepers? I have two pairs of cargo shorts that I cant use my thick nylon belts with. One has an integrated belt and both have loops that are too small. But I was thinking of using a smaller belt for the shorts, then using keepers with the thick belt to hold my sidearm. The keepers would prevent the thick belt from riding up or sliding down (not likely with my fat ***) and properly support a full frame handgun with extra mag and light. Whatcha think?

WalkingWolf

Odd question but it kinda fits in this thread: who here uses belt keepers? I have two pairs of cargo shorts that I cant use my thick nylon belts with. One has an integrated belt and both have loops that are too small. But I was thinking of using a smaller belt for the shorts, then using keepers with the thick belt to hold my sidearm. The keepers would prevent the thick belt from riding up or sliding down (not likely with my fat ***) and properly support a full frame handgun with extra mag and light. Whatcha think?

I use one keeper for keys. I let my belt ride my hips.

Firearms Iinstuctor

If one is using two belts keepers well keep the 2nd belt from moving around leaving your firearm in the same place and position.

Also they well stop the belt and holster from riding up on the draw.

cabledawg

FI, what kind of keepers do you recommend? A local shop has three types: nylon with Velcro, nylon with snaps and leather with snaps. I'm thinking the nylon with snaps would work just fine but I've never used keepers so I'm just guessing on this one.

I was thinking about this last night and decided that I can get a good thick nylon belt if I use keepers. Then I could use the belt loop attachment on my holster instead of the paddle attachment I currently use. Why didn't I think of this before..........