• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How do you justify OC?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Emily Post makes her name and living pretending this is 100 years ago.

Ask her how she feels about open carry (the common and the "proper" way to carry then) and see if you still respect her opinion.

I'm not saying some of her "rules" aren't right, I'm just saying she shouldn't be held as an authority.

When hat protocol was the norm, there was also a hat rack in every establishment so you had someplace to put it.

OC for ME

Emily Post makes her name and living pretending this is 100 years ago.

Ask her how she feels about open carry (the common and the "proper" way to carry then) and see if you still respect her opinion.

I'm not saying some of her "rules" aren't right, I'm just saying she shouldn't be held as an authority.

When hat protocol was the norm, there was also a hat rack in every establishment so you had someplace to put it.
If Ms. Emily had a opinion on OC, or CC for that matter, and she does not, she would be sure to, I'm sure, opine on the correct and proper way to OC/CC. But, we are talking about manners whether armed or not. We have no burden to justify our acts to anyone.....law notwithstanding.

OC for ME

If Ms. Emily had a opinion on OC, or CC for that matter, and she does not, she would be sure to, I'm sure, opine on the correct and proper way to OC/CC. But, we are talking about manners whether armed or not. We have no burden to justify our acts to anyone.....law notwithstanding.
Besides, as my Grandmother used to say, "Good manners never go out of style."

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Besides, as my Grandmother used to say, "Good manners never go out of style."

Apparently, they do. Even that Emily Post page had a fine print exception at the bottom of the page for cancer patients. Why do they get an exception? Why do they, and nobody else, get an exception?

If you see someone keep their hat on as a flag comes by in a parade, will you automatically assume they are a cancer patient before you think they are an a-hole?

While I do things to show respect, I never understood why others are so insistent on making others "show" respect.

This is not directed at you; I'm mostly just thinking out loud.

since9

Campaign Veteran
...why you guys OC instead of CC. i have a good buddy that is CC only. I asked why and he said the same thing I always hear. The famed "element of surprise". Then he said another thing that I really hate to hear. Something to the effect of "I wish someone would try and rob the store I'm in..."

First, I OC for the same two reasons as law enforcement: Accessibility and Deterrence.

No matter which CC rig I've tried, the absolute quickest time between a "buzzer" and fire is two seconds. With OC, that time is consistently less than a second, and I don't have to worry about deadly clothing obstructions.

Since 1991, I have twice encountered situations where deterrence was an abundantly clear factor. It may have been a factor in at least three other events. Since the criminal has no knowledge of whether someone is carrying concealed or not, there is ZERO deterrence with CC. It's indistinguishable from your average unarmed citizen.

The famed "element of surprise" is an oxymoron at best, and given your friend's additional comment, he could wind up in the sights of the justice system if he ever did need to use his firearm.

He also chooses to carry with an empty chamber.

That's advisable only when either the trigger is exposed while holstered or if the firearm can be fired by striking the back of the hammer. Otherwise, whether your firearm has a firing pin interlock, a hammer bar, or a manual or automatic safety, it's both unnecessary and potentially dangerous. Ideally, the ONLY thing you want to have to do is draw, aim, and squeeze the trigger. That's it, and an abundance of simulations and real-world events have clearly demonstrated this is the best way to go.

The other day another friend who is a local cop suggested I get my CHP. To which I said I don't feel the need to pay for something I can already do.

Really? You can CC without a CHP?

There are areas here in Colorado where you can CC but not OC. Furthermore, you may find yourself in situations where CC is preferable to OC. For example, I CC in church out of respect for the other church attendees. Even if 19 out of 20 don't care, I prefer not to cause the 20th to fixate on my firearm. I'd rather he or she be focusing on the reason they came to church, which is to worship God. I do the same in movie theaters and other larger gatherings of people.

Out and about on my own, however, whether at a sit-down restaurant or getting supplies at Home Depot, I OC.

Once you pay for it and receive permission, its a privilege, not a right.

True! It's the main reason I advocate Constitutional Carry here in Colorado.

He then told me how putting my Glock in my glove compartment was concealed and I would be arrested. I argued then he said oh well maybe as long as its unloaded. Again I argued and showed him the cites, letter from the AG, and court cases. He was enlightened and appreciative.)

That's good news, but it sounds like it's time for local law enforcement to receive a refresher memo reminding them that under Colorado State Law, your motor vehicle is treated as an extension of your home, and there are zero permit requirements for either OC or CC, even in the dreaded Democrat dungeon of Denver.

All I'm saying is if someone says, "why don't you go get your CHP"? What do you say?

I say, "I have it, and CC where appropriate. I also OC where appropriate, and now's that time, so if you'll please excuse me, I'd like to order my lunch."

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Comfort with a high capacity double stack, just no IWB that suits me.

Firearms are also quite pretty and jewelry such as the 1911 or 686 need to be displayed wrapped in fine leather that matches ones boots and belt.

Have my ccw, use it when heading into constitutionally challenged municipalities in MO.

Letter of the law says "covered" an much debate over a flap holster was had, I kinda screwed up that meeting by offering that everyone should place their firearms in tied off condoms making them still effective but completely covered, made sense to me :)

OC for ME

Apparently, they do. Even that Emily Post page had a fine print exception at the bottom of the page for cancer patients. Why do they get an exception? Why do they, and nobody else, get an exception?

If you see someone keep their hat on as a flag comes by in a parade, will you automatically assume they are a cancer patient before you think they are an a-hole?

While I do things to show respect, I never understood why others are so insistent on making others "show" respect.

This is not directed at you; I'm mostly just thinking out loud.
I hear ya.

But, that don't make wearing a hat while at the supper table any less disrespectful. I have not invited back, to my home those who, after watching me remove my hat, continued to wear theirs. Setting the example was lost on them. Not in my house, wear or don't wear, it's a free country and I am free to hold a dim view of that citizen.

Cancer folks? Hmm...I'll give them a pass if they are a female, a male, nope.

Da Rat Bastid

Not in my house, wear or don't wear, it's a free country and I am free to hold a dim view of that citizen.

*nods* Indeed, this is a free (albeit less so than it should be) country, and indeed, yes, you are free to uphold whatever archaic traditions you see fit.

Jayne&Vera

quote about open carry

Don't recall Cicero talking abt OC.. :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Finally!:
"Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family.' And anyone who objects levels the deadliest insult possible: 'I don't trust you unless you're rendered harmless'!" -L. Neil Smith, The Probability Broach

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Finally!:
"Wear a gun to someone else's house, you're saying, 'I'll defend this home as if it were my own.' When your guests see you carry a weapon, you're telling them, 'I'll defend you as if you were my own family.' And anyone who objects levels the deadliest insult possible: 'I don't trust you unless you're rendered harmless'!" -L. Neil Smith, The Probability Broach

Checked it out on Amazon, sounds like it might be an interesting read. "everybody's got a gun, even the talking chimps."

Jayne&Vera

Checked it out on Amazon, sounds like it might be an interesting read. "everybody's got a gun, even the talking chimps."

I had a quick look at it, and as I remembered, it's on the naively utopian end of Heinlein's libertarian style.
Still like the quote and it figures into at least half of my reason personally.

Rusty Young Man

Finally!:

I had a quick look at it, and as I remembered, it's on the naively utopian end of Heinlein's libertarian style.
Still like the quote and it figures into at least half of my reason personally.

Love the quote, it was a good find.:)
I never noticed before, but since I really only accept invitations to the homes of people I really know/truly respect/care about, I actually do have that mentality if I'm OCing (I say "if" because it doesn't apply the same way in campus dorms:().

Ak diesel

Hey everyone,
New here and a CCer that is interested in OC and found this thread. I have to day it since reading through here what has driven me insane is the "You have to have (insert some govt license) to CC. In a free state like AK, no you do not. Any legal firearm owner is able to exercise their rights and CC or OC. Anyways I haven't yet found the perfect CC holster and since it seems far easier and a good deterent I am interested in OC.

golddigger14s

Activist Member
Hey everyone,
New here and a CCer that is interested in OC and found this thread. I have to day it since reading through here what has driven me insane is the "You have to have (insert some govt license) to CC. In a free state like AK, no you do not. Any legal firearm owner is able to exercise their rights and CC or OC. Anyways I haven't yet found the perfect CC holster and since it seems far easier and a good deterent I am interested in OC.

First, welcome to OCDO. Yes it is a pain/infringement to have a CC permit, but like a lot of things in life it is a game of give and take. For example when I get pulled over in WA I do not have to inform the officer that I have a gun, where as in AK you do. So no state is perfect yet. One step at a time.

Ak diesel

First, welcome to OCDO. Yes it is a pain/infringement to have a CC permit, but like a lot of things in life it is a game of give and take. For example when I get pulled over in WA I do not have to inform the officer that I have a gun, where as in AK you do. So no state is perfect yet. One step at a time.

That's pretty neat. I did not know that..what's really interesting is states have reciprocity with Alaska which is funny because it's like $95 to get an actual issued permit to use in states that accept it. Alright...time to start looking for ways to not be tacky and outlandish with OC. I don't think it's about proving a point or letting everyone know but so far I have one CC holster thats decent but I'm a small guy so concealing my 30S is hard.

JoeSparky

Centurion
That's pretty neat. I did not know that..what's really interesting is states have reciprocity with Alaska which is funny because it's like $95 to get an actual issued permit to use in states that accept it. Alright...time to start looking for ways to not be tacky and outlandish with OC. I don't think it's about proving a point or letting everyone know but so far I have one CC holster thats decent but I'm a small guy so concealing my 30S is hard.
Regards tacky or outlandish open carry....just cancel the order for the strobes and flashing LED lighting around your holster. Wear it just like your belt..... It is there for a purpose but one doesn't point to it with every new person you see!

Dakotademon7

I'm new here and don't carry at all yet. I want to learn the laws before I do. I want to stick k with OC in hopes that it may a deterrent .I want to avoid trouble. Not invite it. I see nothing wrong with CC but I prefer OC for myself.