• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How Does Jacksonville, NC react to Open Carry?

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I recently openly carried a sidearm into the Wal-Mart on Yopp rd, with no obvious attention given to me, and also at the Autozone. All but one employee seemed totally unconcerned with it. He reacted quite poorly and seemed to feel that one should not be armed in private businesses unlessone is aLaw Enforcement Agent.

Since I rarely travel into town these days, I waswondering if anyone open carries in Jville on a regular basis. My Dad is very anti-open carrying in dense populated areas and said, "I haven't seen anyone else except you walking around with guns on their hips."

Knowing though this is fully legal, I'm not really one who wants to be arrested(even if said arrest is illegal) as I don't like the idea of visiting local jails at all.

So I was wondering is this a very real possibility when dealing with JPD or are they fully aware of this right and not likely to react in such a harsh manner?

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

I have heard comments in the past that people have had issues carrying in J-ville. Nothing horrible, but just cops not minding their own business.

On the other hand, I've NEVER had a problem, and I carry there at least every other weekend. I've open carried damn near everywhere I legally can in J-ville without incident. I have been at restaurants at the same time as LEO's without issue, as well.

From my personal experience, I'd say J-ville is at least open carry neutral, if not friendly. Either way, go for it! lol

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Actually, I shouldn't say I've never had a problem. I once had an over zealous Target employee ask me whether I had a CHP. I replied with something like "Umm, not that it's any of your business, but I don't need one to carry openly." He asked if I could put it in the car, to which I responded "How about I finish my shopping, pay, and then leave?", then I walked away lol. With my back to him, he mumbled "oh uh...oh ok sir, you're good to go!" lol!

Seriously though, I think there's enough open carriers just in the J-ville area to have a little get-together of our own. Now we just need someone to organize the darn thing!

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I suppose as long as it doesn't occur at an unsavory or other undesirable location, that would be just fine. I personally just want to see someone else beside myself openly carrying.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Heck, even if it's just 4 or 5 of usit would be kool. I'm around that area on a regular basis, so whenever someone wants to have a dinner, I'm game. Cracker barrel is always a good place to go.

FBI Agent

imported post

Haven't been on the site in a while. Have had people question why I open carried which my responce was why not. No prblems thus far. Count me in.

DreQo

State Researcher
imported post

Hopefully more people will respond. You may want to start a new thread titled "Jacksonville, NC Open Carry Dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Or maybe something a little more subtle..but you get the point lol. Either way, 4 would be fine! I'm sure significant others may show up, too. Mine might, but she doesn't carry (yet).

CalahanD

When do yall do the meeting. I would be happy to join. I conceal carry everywhere possible but its getting close to summer and i dont feel like wearing long button up shirts...i would like to wear a t shirt and open carry. Give me a call if these meetings are going on. 404 295 9906

hillbilly

Jacksonville OC

I have been OC'ing in Jacksonville since June, I haven't had any problems just the occasional "are you a cop?" Other than that It seems to be open carry neutral. I've carried in pretty much every place in this town that i can legally and most people don't seem to notice. I'm down for a meet and greet. shoot me a text 573-872-9383. Let me know where and when.

DocWest8404

If you open carried in the Autozone I am thinking of (Next to the piggly Wiggly and across from Hardee's/Cal Jr's) tell them to relax, I ALWAYS open carried in there before I deployed. And only had one issue at the Yopp Walmart, just an employee that wanted to double check with her manager. Very pleasant encounter. As for interaction with JPD, it's just been questions on the caliber and Mag cap, how's it handle, general curiosity. I carry a 45 and a 9mm.
Comrade V, you NEVER want to take the lead in setting up a OC/CC Dinner......Slacker.

Hey Everyone, been awhile. I'm in Afghanistan right now, but will be back in Jacksonville soon. How's everyone doing?

DocWest8404

Hopefully more people will respond. You may want to start a new thread titled "Jacksonville, NC Open Carry Dinner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!". Or maybe something a little more subtle..but you get the point lol. Either way, 4 would be fine! I'm sure significant others may show up, too. Mine might, but she doesn't carry (yet).

should already be one unless it died.