• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT

Johearn

I think you miss the point. Yes, there are almost 600 posts from the last 5 years and now there is no new information to be gained from another post on the same subject that can not be gained from reading all of the many pages with the same question. Do you expect a different answer?.

I guess I disagree, there is new information to be gained, that information being how long did it take the last person to be granted their permit. Has that time changed from the OP (5 yrs ago)? Was that change due to new and or changed regulations (clearly not), but either way the updated data has value to each and every one of the people that join for the sole purpose of adding our experiences to this thread. Stale data could be bad data. You are right to point out the options at my disposal to compel the town have not changed but again that subject is neither the title of the thread nor my intent when I found this thread through the wonders of google.

Complicating matters further, CT temporary permits are first issued at the town level, not a uniform state entity, so variation in wait times and experience is further multiplied leading to a deeper wanting of specifically applicable data.

It is great that you and solus are trying to make the 2A world a better place, but again to me you are inferring deeper meaning to the original thread. Is your intent to chase all new posters off from this thread and deprive the forum of the added ad revenue of the thousands of views that have been associated with it?

Why does it bother you so much that this thread continues to breathe? New people arrive, maybe some stick around and add value to other subjects. Maybe most leave again, but so what? In the end the open carry forum gets more exposure.

Last edited:

solus

i am sorry Johearn, et al. that you misconstrued the overal theme of this forum...from my perspective this forum, quarrels & bantering like relatives discussing politics at Thanksgiving/Christmas dinners notwithstanding, have a common camaraderie that the citizens of this nation should and can carry, OC/CC, their handguns during their daily activities for SD.

When members hear about issues mitigating a citizen’s right to be able to accomplish this, the honorable forum’s members research, discuss, and try to assist in facilitating a path to mitigate those issues.

This forum has many tales of grassroots activities precipitated by members who have successfully instituted many changes where a wayward municipal official’s perception believed was lawful yet violated statutory mandates.

That CT’s officialdom is abrogating statutory mandates which is so ingrained and pervasive in the agencies’ culture doesn’t matter. For example, DC & Chicago thought they could do as they pleased towards their citizens but the courts prevailed! Further, NC ran a similar abrogations of statues stating during declared state of emergencies citizens were forbidden from carrying firearms - seems in 2011 the NC SC took exception and now during SoE, citizens may now carry w/o fear from LE oversight.

Johearn, et al., I believe if you look at the first and subsequent posts over the years you will discern those members were responding to the recent changes in CT’s NEW firearms carry statutes as well as providing guidance to mitigate the excessive waits as well as remedies to move forward not a provide a platform to whine about timeline or a mantra of ”did ya get yours yet?”

BTW mate, truly doesn’t bother me at all that this thread exists, but disappointed you and other CT citizens must endure this situation in the first place and yet are so complacent when you should be outraged over the your treatment. Remember, there are those of us who can strap our sidearms on everyday without a State sponsored privilege card, nope doesn’t bother me at all!

gutshot II

........snip
Why does it bother you so much that this thread continues to breathe? New people arrive, maybe some stick around and add value to other subjects. Maybe most leave again, but so what? In the end the open carry forum gets more exposure.

I think I answered that question in my last post. If you missed it, here it is again: Asking the same question for the 601st time will not make things all better. It is like taking a car trip with children asking, are we there yet, are we there yet, are we there yet? No, we are not there yet.

I have been very patient for 5 years with this thread but I have had enough of people that complain but take no action. Yes, the forum does get more exposure, more of the same exposure that its had for 5 years. This thread is "over exposed".

Last edited:

gt4068

Just a raw numbers update for those interested. Submitted application May 17th, permit approved by chief of local pd sept 19th(125 days), mailed 20th, received yesterday, converted to state permit today. Total from submission to state permit 128 days.

19LG

Just a raw numbers update for those interested. Submitted application May 17th, permit approved by chief of local pd sept 19th(125 days), mailed 20th, received yesterday, converted to state permit today. Total from submission to state permit 128 days.

What town?

Johearn

I have been very patient for 5 years with this thread but I have had enough of people that complain but take no action. Yes, the forum does get more exposure, more of the same exposure that its had for 5 years. This thread is "over exposed".

Please you joined the forum a little over a year ago, so how is it that you have been putting up with this thread for 5 years?!?

Johearn

BTW mate, truly doesn’t bother me at all that this thread exists, but disappointed you and other CT citizens must endure this situation in the first place and yet are so complacent when you should be outraged over the your treatment.

Ty solus, I do understand where you are coming from. I think this thread represent our frustration more than it does our complacency. I believe that each of us understands that the state will issue our permits as we do not have anything in our backgrounds that would prohibit our receiving them.

We are just frustrated that it is taking longer than mandated. Again I bring up my prior point in that the state has knowingly segregated us into a small minority of people trying to get our initial permits. They understand that there is not a critical mass of residents being taken advantage of at any given time and hence fear no big push to push new legislation. People get their permit and then this whole ordeal is simply a battle scar, renewal is a mail in process without all of the drama.

Last edited:

gutshot II

Please you joined the forum a little over a year ago, so how is it that you have been putting up with this thread for 5 years?!?

If YOU had been around a little longer you might know that I have been here much, much longer that one year and longer than this thread has been alive. IF you stay around, you might learn a lot of things, including the answer to that and how it happened. What you will never learn is, "How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT?"

Johearn

If YOU had been around a little longer you might know that I have been here much, much longer that one year and longer than this thread has been alive. IF you stay around, you might learn a lot of things, including the answer to that and how it happened. What you will never learn is, "How long does it take to get a pistol permit in CT?"

I have no doubt that your origin story is an epic tale of love and loss, guess I will have to wait for the movie.

Also I see that the great prophet gutshot II has honored us with his latest prediction, too bad it wasnt anything useful like this year’s Super Bowl champion or the winning powerball numbers.

Johearn

My appeal letter was delivered to BFPE in Hartford on Friday, waiting for them to provide my with a hearing date. I’ll reply once I know. Appeal was submitted after 12 weeks with no written explanation per statute requirement.

19LG

My appeal letter was delivered to BFPE in Hartford on Friday, waiting for them to provide my with a hearing date. I’ll reply once I know. Appeal was submitted after 12 weeks with no written explanation per statute requirement.

I also recommend you call the FBI to verify the dates your request was sent to them and returned. I would also verify with SPBI your status. I know it is taking people 14-16 weeks but I have heard that out of state permits are being returned in 12 weeks. It is the same background check procedure for out of state permits, the only difference is there is no issuing authority slowing down the process. If you find out the date the FBI returned the check and your status with SPBI that would help you leveraging the issuing authority to make a decision. The #s for the FBI and SPBI are floating around this board.

Johearn

I also recommend you call the FBI to verify the dates your request was sent to them and returned. I would also verify with SPBI your status. I know it is taking people 14-16 weeks but I have heard that out of state permits are being returned in 12 weeks. It is the same background check procedure for out of state permits, the only difference is there is no issuing authority slowing down the process. If you find out the date the FBI returned the check and your status with SPBI that would help you leveraging the issuing authority to make a decision. The #s for the FBI and SPBI are floating around this board.

Per the BFPE appeal process, the town is required to provide the dates associated with those submissions to both myself and the Board no less than 10 days prior to the assigned hearing date. If the town did not observe the statutory submission dates that will just be more evidence in my favor at the hearing. If the town approves my application before 10 days of the hearing it is a moot point. I have absolutely ZERO disqualifies in my background so one way or another I will have my permit by the soon to be scheduled appeal date, if not sooner.

pca911rs

Nonresident

Just came across this forum looking around to see if anyone else's experience has been like mine so I thought I'd let everyone know how the timeline went for my nonresident permit.

Application Submitted: May 21, 2018
Received permit: September 24, 2018.

Last edited:

bakertaylor28

Hello all this is my first post.

10 weeks ago my wife and I submitted our pistol permit in East Windsor, CT. 9 weeks ago I the police department the status of our apps. A very nice lady in records showed me a stack of applications and said because of new laws and what happened in Newtown there has been a delay. She also told me that she had not received the results of the fingerprints.

I would like to know what amount of time are other people experiencing in CT?

Thanks

Steve

The thing with this is that "waiting periods" have to be set by statute. Waiting periods that are imposed without statutory authority are a violation of civil right to a "shall-issue" permit under DC V. Heller, and thus can be potentially construed as both a federal criminal misdemeanor violation of 18 U.S.C. 242, as well as being potentially actionable in federal court under 42 U.S.C. 1983 and/or bivens v. six unknown agents. (Whichever happens to be applicable).

Last edited:

solus

The thing with this is that "waiting periods" have to be set by statute. Waiting periods that are imposed without statutory authority are a violation of civil right to a "shall-issue" permit under DC V. Heller, and thus can be potentially construed as both a federal criminal misdemeanor violation of 18 U.S.C. 242, as well as being potentially actionable in federal court under 42 U.S.C. 1983 and/or bivens v. six unknown agents. (Whichever happens to be applicable).

Been associated with the Dallas law firm long?

Johearn

Called BFPE today, they verified receipt of my appeal letter and questionnaire. She said she only updates the appeal hearing schedule every 2 weeks so I should be receiving my preliminary hearing date via mail in another week or so. Will update once received.

solus

Called BFPE today, they verified receipt of my appeal letter and questionnaire. She said she only updates the appeal hearing schedule every 2 weeks so I should be receiving my preliminary hearing date via mail in another week or so. Will update once received.

Of course you believed her :rolleyes:

of course, I am sure there are not statutory timeframe mandates on processing appears :eek:

CT’s production of ghee is alive and well and I wonder if Scott wrote this to describe CT officialdom, “Oh what a tangled web we weave... once we practice to deceive.”