• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many of you correct someone when they say "concealed carry permit"?

DreQo

State Researcher
I haven't been back to the state for long, but I have noticed one terribly irritating tendency. Everyone I have ever talked to has referred to a Minnesota carry permit as a "concealed carry permit". I have, every time, immediately corrected them that it's just a carry permit, no concealing required. Their eyes get big, and they say "really?! I had no idea!".

Am I just getting a bad sample here, or is the vast majority of the state really clueless about what the permit really means? I mean, down in NC, I used to have the pleasure of informing someone of open carry about once or twice a month when they would ask about my sidearm. I've been in MN one month, I've educated at LEAST a dozen people on open carry, and I can't even carry my gun yet! lol

At least one of these people was a LEO, too. He simply referred to the permit as a concealed carry one, and when I correct him, the light bulb lit up. He said "well yeah, I suppose you're right!". If we could remove any mention of "concealed" when referring to Minnesota's carry permit, we could go a long way in building an open carry friendly, and firearm friendly environment.

USMC1986

I get this all the time too. In fact, I haven't met one person yet, that knew it wasn't a concealed carry permit. I know of two people that had their permits too and still didn't know they could open carry. I had to show them on the department of public safety website that you could do both. Pretty sad and I wish more Minnesotans were informed about this as it would lead to less MWAG calls to the police.

Last edited:

DreQo

State Researcher
Well getting the word out is our job :) lol. I think one of the easiest things to do is catch people when they say concealed carry permit, and tell them there's no such thing. Let them argue with you, and THEN tell them it's a carry permit, not a concealed carry permit. That usually gets them thinking. In theory, they will then tell at least one other person what they learned, and so on.

I also like mentioning it while I'm in a gun store. You usually get at least 3 or 4 people eavesdropping on you, which is great advertisement! lol

MGoduto

We have the same problem here in Connecticut, exacerbated by the state police (who for years) told people things that weren't supported by state law (like '....Connecticut is a concealed carry state...'). Our permit is 'State License To Carry Pistols And Revolvers' - not a 'Concealed' anywhere to be found either on the permit or in state law.

madrevar

I haven't run into to anyone that knows it as anything other than "Concealed Carry" unless I've already spoken to them. What I can't stand is that our own legislators refered to it as "conceal and carry" when they were creating our "shall-issue" law. Also, many permit classes advertise as "Concealed Carry Classes" because it is recognizable over "Permit to Carry" I guess, even though its wrong. I am getting really tired of the willful ignorance by those who DO know better. The rest I will have to just keep converting manually!

the_great_snag

We have the same problem here in Connecticut, exacerbated by the state police (who for years) told people things that weren't supported by state law (like '....Connecticut is a concealed carry state...'). Our permit is 'State License To Carry Pistols And Revolvers' - not a 'Concealed' anywhere to be found either on the permit or in state law.

It's my understanding from reading on other sites that Connecticut does not even require a permit for open carry, at least according to their laws.

Unfortunately I also read about one poor soul who was persecuted/prosecuted for months because someone called in and reported that he had a gun on him, even though he was a permit holder!

Whatever happened to the rule of law?

mobyclarke

It is a battle. There are many on some of the local forums who refer to it as a concealed carry permit and get hammered immediately for it.

As I open carry most of the time, I also educate at least 1 or 2 people a week. I love doing it.

robdoar

It is a battle. There are many on some of the local forums who refer to it as a concealed carry permit and get hammered immediately for it.

As I open carry most of the time, I also educate at least 1 or 2 people a week. I love doing it.

It's fun.... I've gotten a few students from it as well.

M

McX

my out of stater says; license to carry, doesn't specify anything in particular, except for reason; self defense. currently useless in wisconsin though.

protias

my out of stater says; license to carry, doesn't specify anything in particular, except for reason; self defense. currently useless in wisconsin though.

Not for much longer my friend. Of course, your permit is probably still going to be useless in WI though. :p

Constitutional Carry FTW!

Hill Bill E.

Whoa! Been a while! Like 3 years of a while, since I've visited.

But since we're all wrapped up in Global Freezing for the next few months, I needed to feed my brain something more than the Jeep forums provide!

On the OT, yes! I love to correct people about the Permit to Carry!

I have in the past, went round and round with the local news paper editors here in Duluth, to no avail.

The local television stations were a bit better about it, and now use either "Permit to carry" or "...was carrying in compliance with the MN Personal Protection Act"

The local paper however, still has to throw in the concealed word, usually to the tune of "...the act formerly known as the MN Concealed Carry Law"

I went round and round with one editor in particular, to the point I finally dropped my subscription.

I get better response from everyday citizens, who are either unfamiliar with OC, or thought that OC was illegal in MN.

It's good to be back! Thanks to one of my Jeeping budies from the state of WA, for reminding me of the OC forum!!

HB

Gunslinger

Whoa! Been a while! Like 3 years of a while, since I've visited.

But since we're all wrapped up in Global Freezing for the next few months, I needed to feed my brain something more than the Jeep forums provide!

On the OT, yes! I love to correct people about the Permit to Carry!

I have in the past, went round and round with the local news paper editors here in Duluth, to no avail.

The local television stations were a bit better about it, and now use either "Permit to carry" or "...was carrying in compliance with the MN Personal Protection Act"

The local paper however, still has to throw in the concealed word, usually to the tune of "...the act formerly known as the MN Concealed Carry Law"

I went round and round with one editor in particular, to the point I finally dropped my subscription.

I get better response from everyday citizens, who are either unfamiliar with OC, or thought that OC was illegal in MN.

It's good to be back! Thanks to one of my Jeeping budies from the state of WA, for reminding me of the OC forum!!

HB

Curious. In mainly free states, where you don't need a permit to open carry a loaded handgun, it is indeed a CCW as only 'concealed' carry is regulated. The origin is "Carry of a concealed weapon," hence: CCW 'license' would be the most correct. In fully free states, you *** ***. The Constitution covers it all.