• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many of you/us unholster when...

markand

I don't usually unholster, but I've found that a paddle style holster fits over the lip of the driver's side door pocket and holds the paddle holster quite well. If so inclined, I would enter the vehicle, unholster and put the gun in the paddle holster. Works better for me as I'm left handed. Using a right handed paddle holster lets me keep the gun by my left hand while driving. Before I get out, I simply remove the gun from the paddle holster and put it back in the belt holster.

ejmartin79

@Holyorangejuice, in your post you mention you drop your mag and then open the slide checking that its unloaded, so are you carrying without a round in the chamber?

Dreamer

This issue is one of the main reasons I got my CC permits. Having a CC permit gets you out of any "officer interpretation" issues when you are OCing but in the driver's seat with a seatbelt on.

If he CAN see it and identify it as a gun, it's Open Carry, and therefore legal.

If he can't see it, I have a permit, and it's 100% legal. Nyah, nyah...

Of course, NONE of my permits are any good in the Peoples Republic of Maryland, and I can't even have an uloaded, locked-up gun in my trunk, unless I'm going to or from an "approved location".

But in NC, VA, WV, PA, OH, and a whole mess of other places, I'm golden...

Last edited:

Brimstone Baritone

I carry left-handed, so I move my gun to an Uncle Mike's nylon holster tucked between the bench seats where I can easily draw it with my right hand. Weighing my options, it's better for me to easily draw and shoot right-handed than to have a difficult draw with my primary hand. Accuracy suffers slightly, but not at the range that I would be concerned about inside my truck.

gobbly

I have a handgun hidden in my car, something powerful enough that windows shouldn't be an issue, and I have a chance of getting rounds through paneling and such, the type of gun that is a little too big to carry around. I also ALWAYS have my EDC on my hip.

I primarily prepare for carjackings, and it is likely in that situation I will have a gun pointed at me. This would prevent me from accessing my in-car firearm. On my hip, not only do I have a chance of drawing when I unhook the seatbelt, but if I can't, then my gun is with me when I step out of my car. If the guy gets my car, I am not left unprotected, and if things turn for the worse I just might get a chance to draw.

Mark 1911

I have to unholster and unload my gun before getting into my car in Michigan. If I'm in a state where my carry permit is recognized though I leave it in the holster.

I see you are from Indiana. If your carry permit is an Indiana permit, then Michigan recognizes your Indiana permit (but it must be an Indiana resident permit, as Michigan only recognizes resident permits from the states that they recognize). You do not have to unholster and unload your gun before getting into your car in Michigan (reference is here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/indiana.pdf )

Last edited:

Mark 1911

I always wear my holster while in the vehicle EXCEPT for when I am on my way to and from work. The reason for this is that I live in Indiana and I work in Illinois. I drive to a train station in Indiana and then ride the train into Chicago. Due the oppressive Illinois gun laws, the gun has to stay in Indiana while I am at work, locked out of sight, in accordance with Indiana law. If I did wear my holster, then I would run the risk of someone seeing me either taking the holster off in the morning or putting it on in the evening, and that is a security risk I don't want to take.

SharpEye

I keep my 1911 holstered if it's a short trip (10~ mins) to a friend's house or store, right down the road. If I'm traveling a relatively long distance, such as to Bladenboro, I unholster and lay my firearm safely in my passenger seat, loaded and chambered, along with an extra mag.

MainelyGlock

Found that my DeSantis holster keeps my Glock nice and snug when I'm driving, and partially concealed as well. Forcing myself to learn how to shoot right-handed because of this.

vgn47l.jpg

MainelyGlock

Does it interfere at all with e-braking through a power slide?

Haha. Sometimes I pull up on my Glock by accident, but I'm usually quick to correct myself. Let's just hope I don't pull the e-brake instead of my Glock if I ever need to..

decklin

I use a SERPA Quick Disconnect. It allows my firearm to stay holstered. I have adapters for a couple of my guns so I can just hook up either one.IMG_1593.jpgIMG_1594.jpgIMG_1595.jpgIMG_1596.jpgIMG_1599.jpg

WalkingWolf

Depends on if I am driving or my wife is. If I am by myself and driving I take the belt/gun/holster and set it in the passenger seat. The seat belt restricts a draw if I am driving so it really is useless there. She usually drives when we are in the car together and the seat belt is not a indifference on the passenger side, it is also more comfortable. I have on occasion just buckled the belt on the seat, it does make it easier to be seen if pulled over.

sharkey

Yes, I pull my handgun out and sit it on the seat next to me, easier to grab and it's easier to see if I get pulled over.

Mine stays on my hip. I'm really not partial to the idea of my gun flying. For all I know a road rage issue could cause an accident and the need for my firearm. I like it easy to get to.

Similar reason my cell stays in my pocket, if I were invoved in an accident it'd be a shame if the cell was unreachable.

I wouldn't mind an under dash holster though. The gun can hurt after a while.

decklin

Mine stays on my hip. I'm really not partial to the idea of my gun flying. For all I know a road rage issue could cause an accident and the need for my firearm. I like it easy to get to.

Similar reason my cell stays in my pocket, if I were invoved in an accident it'd be a shame if the cell was unreachable.

I wouldn't mind an under dash holster though. The gun can hurt after a while.

+1.
I keep my cell on me. With my firearm retained in the serpa on the center console it won't be going anywhere. I also keep a strap cutter secured next to my seat so I can cut my seatbelt off.