• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many rounds are needed when carrying?

WalkingWolf

I didn't say instill confidence in the attacker. I said instill confidence in the carrier. Shooting often, and knowing your firearm instills confidence. Bad guys pick that up and search out other victims. Many victims look like victims.

I repeat and I will remain with that trying to clear a malfunction in a real fight is stupid, and a death sentence. Nothing wrong with clearing a gun, BUT it should never be part of a SD drill. It is downright dangerous. The bad guy will not wait, and probably beat, or stab, the person to death or permanent injuries.

Most cases of survival the survivor is not even using a firearm, they use what their instincts tell them. Mop handles, broom handles, a stick, cans of food, hammer, pepper spray. I have seen people fight back with anything they could get their hands on, and they survived. With no expensive or foolish training. Firearms are and should be a last resort, not because of legalities, but because immediate counter attack is imperative to survival. If rushed with a knife and you go for your gun you probably will die.

IMO shooting a lot, and becoming intimate with the firearm is the most important training. And smart people do not become intimate with a malfunctioning firearm.

mobiushky

I didn't say instill confidence in the attacker. I said instill confidence in the carrier. Shooting often, and knowing your firearm instills confidence. Bad guys pick that up and search out other victims. Many victims look like victims.

I repeat and I will remain with that trying to clear a malfunction in a real fight is stupid, and a death sentence. Nothing wrong with clearing a gun, BUT it should never be part of a SD drill. It is downright dangerous. The bad guy will not wait, and probably beat, or stab, the person to death or permanent injuries.

Most cases of survival the survivor is not even using a firearm, they use what their instincts tell them. Mop handles, broom handles, a stick, cans of food, hammer, pepper spray. I have seen people fight back with anything they could get their hands on, and they survived. With no expensive or foolish training. Firearms are and should be a last resort, not because of legalities, but because immediate counter attack is imperative to survival. If rushed with a knife and you go for your gun you probably will die.

IMO shooting a lot, and becoming intimate with the firearm is the most important training. And smart people do not become intimate with a malfunctioning firearm.

And I will maintain that you are wrong. Training in malfunction drills is as critical to being well prepared as learning to fend off an attacker without the use of weapons or with whatever non-firearm related weapons you choose. You are saying that the only time you're going to clear a malfunction is when an attacker is actively beating you. That's a strawman argument because you are setting up a specific scenario that is not the whole and countering that one scenario as if that is the only possibility. As I've said before, no one teaches malfunction drills to be done while wrapped in hand to hand combat. That's idiotic. What is taught is to clear a malfunction quickly and efficiently when you can and when you do have time.

Superfluous arguments about handguns being "of last resort" aren't relevant because that's a given. What you are advocating is that a person intentionally ignore a viable and useful piece of the complete package because you don't want to use it. I'm arguing that is dangerous because it leaves the victim with fewer options. I say use all of the techniques you have mentioned and add to that the ability to safely and quickly manipulate your firearms in all cases. More options are better than intentionally limiting options.

WalkingWolf

Well you can see it that way, I see it as idiotic and dangerous. We are not going meet here, not going to happen. In real life there are no time outs.

We can go back and forth all night or agree to disagree.

3FULLMAGS+1

Whew.... glad that discussions finally over......anyway, like my username implies, I'll usually have 2 spare mags. I've never carried a gun that used a mag. that held more than 8 rounds(own a glock 21 but never carry it), (the gun I carry now is a Springfield XDs(45acp) because its super lite). I had two hernia operations when I was in my early twenties and I just can't take the weight of anything to heavy hang'in on my hip in one spot. The down side, IMO, is that the mags are only five round'ers. So 2 spares on my other side sorta balances things out.
As for WHY 2 spares?.....well, better to have extras and not need'em than to, well, you know.....
Another thing, at the risk of starting up the last discussion we just had in this thread, if my weapon becomes inoperable for whatever reason, I'll, depending on the situation, probably take flite if I can. One things for sure, I DON'T want to get myself into a physical confrontation if at all poss. I've got ashtma and it can be bad at times and if the BG gets me down, my goose is cooked, and even if I try to run, I might not get to far, again, due to the asthma......and at that point, I'll go for my knife if poss........and like WalkingWolf mentioned, I'd have no problems "Fighting Dirty".... either!

WalkingWolf

I know that if I ever have to empty my side arm and what ever extra ammo I have. I well be wishing I had a rifle and lots of spare mags.

I don't think that happens very often, at least the stats don't reflect it. If it then fight with whatever you have, grocery store, start throwing cans. Carpenter, beat them with the hammer. Almost everything could be a weapon.

I get a kick out of instructors that teach students to exit a car when encountering a bad guy. Hell with that run him over! The most important tool that should be taught is how not to get into a gunfight in the first place.

EMNofSeattle

glock 17 with 17 round mag +1 in chamber.

when hiking or out in remote areas add one 17 round spare mag.

sometimes I carry a S&W Model 10, 6 shots .38 special. I almost never carry spare ammo for a revolver....

Slade McCuiston

I don't think that happens very often, at least the stats don't reflect it. If it then fight with whatever you have, grocery store, start throwing cans. Carpenter, beat them with the hammer. Almost everything could be a weapon.

I get a kick out of instructors that teach students to exit a car when encountering a bad guy. Hell with that run him over! The most important tool that should be taught is how not to get into a gunfight in the first place.

Amen.

I carry my 1911 as 7+1. That's to get me back to my truck, where there is an eight-rounder and another box of ammunition. Depending on the situation, using the vehicle (and not the rest of my ammunition), could very well save your life. If my family is in danger, some mad man on a rampage, et cetera, I would most likely continue the fight until they were safe. That said, if someone's just mad at me and wants to start stuff... I definitely don't want to hang around long enough for it to go to guns. Save your ego for when you're not carrying (which - for me - isn't very often).

Last edited:

Slade McCuiston

BTW, how do you guys load your +1 round? Do you put your mag in, cycle the slide, release the mag, top off the mag, and then load the mag again? That sounds like such a PITA.

I load my +1 round by inserting the magazine, racking the slide to chamber a round, top off the magazine, and re-insert the magazine into the magazine well. It sounds like a PITA, but my carry gun has been unloaded only for maintenance and dry-fire practice.

Did someone bring a gun to a carfight?

Referring to getting away from the idiots, not running them over.

LOL All shiny belt and no goat, or is it rabbit? "All hat, no horse," paraphrased for present company.

I really don't see the need in alienating somebody. Maybe some background is in order. My dad and uncle are present LEOs and my granddad is a retired LEO, so I grew up around firearms. I carried one around the farm nearly full-time from when I was 15 until I turned 19. When I turned 19 I got the first pistol of my own, a .45 1911, and started carrying openly everywhere legally allowed. I treat everyone, whether they are new to guns, just started carrying, or have been carrying their entire life with respect and would appreciate the same in return.

Last edited:

independence

I carry 15+1 in my 9mm Glock 19. I always top off the mag. I also carry 1 extra 15 round mag.

If I have my briefcase with me, then I will have another 15 rounder and a 33 rounder, for a total 3 extra mags. Sometimes I will put the 33 rounder in the glove box if I don't have my briefcase with me.

Paddle holsters make the occassional trip to the public facilities easier and safer, although I've been known to take my belt part-way off if not using a paddle holster.

"I've been known"....? Who exactly is it who has known this about you?

;)

Many guns are designed to load from the magazine. When done that way, the round slips under the extractor before chambering. If you chamber the round first, then drop the slide on it, the extractor has to snap over it. This can cause premature wear on the extractor, depending on the design, but especially if it uses an internal extractor.

I always load from the magazine, then drop the magazine and top it off.

[...]

Yup.

Sent from an app instead of a browser simply because browsers on mobile devices are incapable of basic usability by design so that people can sell apps.

Last edited:

Slade McCuiston

Geez, guy, develop a sense of humor!

Welcome.

I guess you're right. By this picture, I would seem to know no humor.

555165_10151398270768217_2098559692_n.jpg

The reason I don't carry more than one magazine on me is that I haven't found a good, non-bulky way to carry it.

Last edited:

countryclubjoe

It IS about fight at all costs, and fiddling with a gun when it malfunctions will get somebody killed. Train to clear a malfunction and that is what you will do when you are being stabbed or beaten with a baseball bat. IMO it is stupid.

Shooting brings confidence, a proper operating firearm brings confidence. Confidence can be smelled by thugs, being left alone is more important than clearing a jam while being bludgeoned.

Expandable baton never jams. I train to use one, my wife trains to use one. It would most probably be the weapon we go to before even considering the firearm.

Hi WW

Where could one purchase an Expandable Baton?

Thank you and best regards.

CCJ