• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How many rounds are needed when carrying?

flhrci

Maybe the answer to this question is found by asking the criminal how many rounds it will take to stop him/her prior to shooting them? :)

David

Bernymac

Rounds??? I don't need rounds! I carry this guy around!
chuck-norris-gerald-herbertap.jpeg

Dav

When I'm in Montana I carry a 1911 8+1.....another 2 mags in my pockets and then another 4 in my backpack. (I'm paranoid about getting attacked by a pack of wolves or a giant bear. I'm a pilot for a surveying company and I like to keep a weeks worth of MREs also in my backpack, along with space blankets and a sleeping back in the back of the plane.

If I'm not in Montana it's just 1 extra mag.

WalkingWolf

When I'm in Montana I carry a 1911 8+1.....another 2 mags in my pockets and then another 4 in my backpack. (I'm paranoid about getting attacked by a pack of wolves or a giant bear. I'm a pilot for a surveying company and I like to keep a weeks worth of MREs also in my backpack, along with space blankets and a sleeping back in the back of the plane.

If I'm not in Montana it's just 1 extra mag.

For big bears you should consider the 10mm, I am not sure if the 45 ejector works on 10mm, otherwise you could just do a barrel and mag change.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
For big bears you should consider the 10mm, I am not sure if the 45 ejector works on 10mm, otherwise you could just do a barrel and mag change.
Conversion from 1911 .45ACP is not pratical - complete top end assembly is required (slide, barrel, springs, etc) + fitting/gunsmithing. Final package will cost about what a seperate gun would run.

A better and easier change would be to 460 Rowland - vastly superior round, roughly equal to .44mag. Numerous companies offer this conversion - said to be drop in, some are compensated. A local member of the ol' pharts club owns and carries one with some regularity.

WalkingWolf

Conversion from 1911 .45ACP is not pratical - complete top end assembly is required (slide, barrel, springs, etc) + fitting/gunsmithing. Final package will cost about what a seperate gun would run.

A better and easier change would be to 460 Rowland - vastly superior round, roughly equal to .44mag. Numerous companies offer this conversion - said to be drop in, some are compensated. A local member of the ol' pharts club owns and carries one with some regularity.

Good catch, and suggestion. I also forgot to mention use of 45 Super with only changing the recoil and the FP spring.

Dirk platinum

I carry a Glock29sf in a serpa black hawk loaded 10+1 on opposite hip i carry 2 15 round 10mm Glock 20 mags in a fobus mag holder as back up and a second 10 round G29 mag in my pocket so all in all 51 rounds of 180 grain 10mmauto .

Last edited:

Dirk platinum

This thread reminds me of a incident that happened about 10 years ago, I believe it was in Alabama.

A law abiding homeowner shot a criminal home invader 10 times killing the criminal.

When the local sheriff arrived on the scene he asked the homeowner," why did you shot him ten times"?

Homeowner replied," My weapon only held ten rounds".. LOL

Best regards

CCJ

best response ever .

DaveT319

In my case, I'm going with a fully-loaded weapon and one reload. That's 25 rounds total. If I had something that held less (like an 8+1 1911), I'd probably go with 2 reloads.