• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to answer to answer the question

Lthrnck

imported post

On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

I have thought on how to answer it, I have come up with this response,

Do I think it need it, probably not.

Do I hope I need it, NO...

Am I prepared if I do need it....YES.

Food for thought.....

The Wolfhound

imported post

Just answer: Probably not but I had to drive here then cross your parking lot to get in here. The only way to have it with you when you need it is to always have it with you.

Harper1227

imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
Just answer: Probably not but I had to drive here then cross your parking lot to get in here. The only way to have it with you when you need it is to always have it with you.

you hit the nail right on the head there wolfy ole buddy :)

i would (edit:) NOT go places i thought i needed a gun. like i posted somewhere else on this board

For violent crime, about half occurred within a mile from home and 76% within five miles. Only 4% of victims of violent crime reported that the crime took place more than fifty miles from their home.

what good is it then if i dont have it with me?

Superlite27

imported post

Whenever someone asks me why I feel or think I need a gun in a particular place, I answer their question with my own:

Do you think any of the 32 people shot and killed at Virginia Tech felt they needed a gun?

How about in the seconds before they were shot?

Or

How many of yesterday's murder victims feel like they need a gun right now? None, cause they can't change their minds, right now.

"Feeling" like you need something rarely has anything to do with actually needing it.

Marco

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
" Do you really think you need the gun here?"
I don't know, my crystal ball is broken?

If I thought I would need to use my gun here I wouldn't be here.:banghead:

I usually offer an answer with the name of a murderer or violent attack that occurred at a similar location.

That usually shuts them up, especially when I ask "did any of those people think they would want/need or use a gun today?"

ETA:
You could always ask "doyou ask police and armed security personnel the same question?".

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Lthrnck wrote:
On more then one occasion I have been asked , " Do you really think you need the gun here?"

Food for thought.....
I like the answer when asked if "do you need a gun here...are you expecting trouble?" is to say "If I was expecting troubleI'dof brought my rifle."

flintlock tom

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

For the past ten years I have carried a fire extinguisher in my car and never "needed" it.
If the occasion arises that I DO need it, I won't have time to go home and get it.

Gun? Same.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:

-snip-
When I am asked a question like the one above... or even the generic "Why do you carry a gun?" question my response is:

"Because you need someone to hide behind."

mathar1

imported post

I always ask if they wear a seat belt. When they say yes..I ask if they plan on getting in an accident every time they buckle up. They usually get this stupid look on their face for a moment and then you see the light bulb go off over their head. (real liberal idiots usually walk away looking confused...so results may vary):lol:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Lthrnck wrote:

I dunno, maybe it's just me. The reason to carry a gun is for self-defense.

So, wherever my self is, that's where I need the defense.

Getting into a discussion about probability is a never-ending argument.

"Self-defense" is the shortest and best answer for people, IMHO.

mathar1 wrote:
I always ask if they wear a seat belt. When they say yes..I ask if they plan on getting in an accident every time they buckle up. They usually get this stupid look on their face for a moment and then you see the light bulb go off over their head. (real liberal idiots usually walk away looking confused...so results may vary):lol:
I've never liked that old saw.

It's apples and oranges. The basic notion of preparedness is in there, of course. But deploying a deadly weapon in public travels is wayyyyyyyyy different than deploying a seat belt. The probabilities of benefits are significantly different, too.

Apples and oranges. Therefore, not convincing. If I were an anti, I could argue against it easily.

A more succinct and persuasive argument is simply: "self-defense."

mathar1

imported post

HankT wrote:
Lthrnck wrote:

mathar1 wrote:

It's apples and oranges. The basic notion of preparedness is in there, of course. But deploying a deadly weapon in public travels is wayyyyyyyyy different than deploying a seat belt. The probabilities of benefits are significantly different, too.

Apples and oranges. Therefore, not convincing. If I were an anti, I could argue against it easily.

The SELF defense doesn't fly with me. It implies that you are out for yourself and yourself alone. Girl being gang raped and beaten "self defense" implies you just carry on because it's not YOU being attacked. It implies "screw the rest of you...I am out for me." I carry for ANY possibility..including the defense of those who cannot defend themselves.

How are the probabilities of significant benefits different? A life saved is a life saved whether it be a seat belt/extinguisher or gun. If self defense were your only reason I could easily argue that with the availabilty of OC/ batons/ stun guns you would be safe with SIGNIFICANTLY less danger to bystanders and not have to spend nearly as much money/time or effort.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
imported post

I have always found using the analogy of having a smoke detector being a much better way to explain why I carry a firearm.

A person ask's "Why do you have a gun with you?" in a nice or truely inquisitive manner. I usually reply with"Do you have smoke detectors in your home? Same concept."

If they have a bad attitude and are being a snapperhead, My reply is usually "what gun? Oh, I forgot I had that on" and walk away.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

mathar1 wrote:
HankT wrote:
Lthrnck wrote:

mathar1 wrote:

The SELF defense doesn't fly with me. It implies that you are out for yourself and yourself alone. Girl being gang raped and beaten "self defense" implies you just carry on because it's not YOU being attacked. It implies "screw the rest of you...I am out for me." I carry for ANY possibility..including the defense of those who cannot defend themselves.

How are the probabilities of significant benefits different? A life saved is a life saved whether it be a seat belt/extinguisher or gun. If self defense were your only reason I could easily argue that with the availabilty of OC/ batons/ stun guns you would be safe with SIGNIFICANTLY less danger to bystanders and not have to spend nearly as much money/time or effort.

I meant "self-defense" in some kind of restrictive sense that would only include my own self. "Self-defense" doesn't imply all of what you said above. Straw man.

Of course, "self-defense" could include other persons such as, but not limited to wife, gf, parents, children, etc. Even a non-relative. Depends on the circumstances.

I think you went off on a bit of a tangent.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

Wangmuf wrote:
You could always just snap back with "Can you guarantee I won't need a gun here?"

That's a very persuasive one, I think. Look at the shootings at VT or in Orlando yesterday.

Much more persuasive than shoes, or even smoke detectors. I don't get those.

I do like the fire extinguisher, though. But there is probably something better. I'll think of something.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
imported post

"Do you really think you need a gun in here?"
"I hope not."
"Well then, why do you carry it?"
"In case I need it in here."

"Well, let me ask you this. Suppose someone right now were to burst in that door and starting shooting. What would you do?"
"Why, I'd call the police."
"Do you see any police in here right now?"
"No."
"Do you know how long it would take for someone to shoot a bunch of people in here? Do you want to be one of the ones shot before the police arrive?"

"Do you ask police the same question?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because it's their job to carry a gun."
"It's also my job to carry a gun, too."
"Oh, so you're a police officer."
"No. I just don't feel like dying today."

"Let me ask you this. In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?"

"When you get home, google Suzanna Hupp. Then you'll know."

protector84

imported post

Being that I live in Arizona, these questions very rarely arise as this is a very pro-gun state. Usually people who bring up the fact that I'm carrying are more interested in the make/model, specs on the gun, curious about good gun shops and ranges in the area, curious if I also havea CCW, and also curious as to what got me to start carrying and how long I've been carrying. These questions will sometimes come from the employees working at the business I'm at and rarely am I ever asked to leave an establishment for carrying.

Since this state is so pro-gun, when I do run into the rare stranger who starts acting stupid about me carrying a gun and I am pretty sure that nothing I say will actually get through to their tiny brain, I generally just politely ask them to mind their own business and followed by a loud "F*ck Off" if they don't take the hint. I really don't have time for annoying stupid people when I have a busy life. So the infamous question, "Why do you need a gun in here?" I consider to be quite nosy. I may be a police officer who chooses to carry off duty. I may be an off-duty security guard or military service officer. I may be a citizen who simply values my safety. I may have just broken up with an ex-spouse who is suicidal, crazy, and is stalking me. Either way, I don't believe that a stranger has the right to be in my personal business and will not hesitate to inform them of that.

DonTreadOnMe

imported post

Lthrnck wrote:

Food for thought.....
Here is my short response.

" Do you really think you need the gun here?"

"I don't know. ...and for me that is reason enough to carry!"