• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

'How to get morons off the Net' by WND Dennis Prager

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
http://worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=58282

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA/GOP KMA$$

But how many people will be hunted down for 'dissent' if they can't post their feelings and concerns anonymously?

Exactly how identified do we all need to be?

Will our National ID Card be required, through a state issued and monitored card-reader, in order to post on this board?

Aren't we all too familiar with the term "slippery slope?"

[China?]

Take the good with the bad. It is our responsibility to protect ourselves not just physically, but mentally.

Load your mind with the bullets of 'I call bullshit on that," and do not hesitate when it is time to pull the trigger.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
imported post

I am familiar with John Hancock.

And with Vaclav Havel who wrote:
You do not become a "dissident" just because you decide one day to take up this most unusual career. You are thrown into it by your personal sense of responsibility, combined with a complex set of external circumstances. You are cast out of the existing structures and placed in a position of conflict with them. It begins as an attempt to do your work well, and ends with being branded an enemy of society. -- Vaclav Havel, former dissident, now President of the Czech Republic

Anony Mouse can't vote and his opinions must be discounted for the reasons Prager mentions.

You do as you will.

Either we are equal or we are not. Good people ought to be armed where they will, with wits and guns and the truth. NRA/GOP KMA$$

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Doug Huffman wrote:
I am familiar with John Hancock.

And with Vaclav Havel who wrote:
You do not become a "dissident" just because you decide one day to take up this most unusual career. You are thrown into it by your personal sense of responsibility, combined with a complex set of external circumstances. You are cast out of the existing structures and placed in a position of conflict with them. It begins as an attempt to do your work well, and ends with being branded an enemy of society. -- Vaclav Havel, former dissident, now President of the Czech Republic

Anony Mouse can't vote and his opinions must be discounted for the reasons Prager mentions.

You do as you will.

I thank you for showing me this quote. Brilliant.

But I still disagree with censoring the unidentified. We'd all be speaking German right now.

kerchaulk

imported post

I see a few things in his article I don't like. Banning all anonymous postings? Not all anonymous postings are incoherent rantings from a "moron". Besides aren't morons guaranteed the freedom of speech, just like everyone else?

It is so rare, in fact, that I usually respond to hate mail that includes the writer's name just to commend him for attaching his name to something so embarrassing. Is all hate-mail embarrassing?Just because some one let's you know they don't agree with you, in an unfriendly manner, does not make it embarrassing. JMHO.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

kerchaulk wrote:
I see a few things in his article I don't like. Banning all anonymous postings? Not all anonymous postings are incoherent rantings from a "moron". Besides aren't morons guaranteed the freedom of speech, just like everyone else?

Any forum, including OCDO, can establish a ban on anonymous postings andany forum can limit its membershipto only identified, verified and qualifiedpersons.

Any time it wishes to do so.

All the owner has to do is establish the policy and have his moderators enforce it.

I wonder if Doug is proposing that all anonymous postings on OCDO be banned. He doesn't quite say....

It would be interesting to know who, say, Hawkflyer, Tomahawk, LEO 229, cato, unrequited, expvideo, Citizen, .40 Cal, nakedshoplifter, ne1, and a whole bunch of others....are.

Hey, what's fair is fair. If OCDO decides to ban all anonymity in this forum, I would be glad to remain a member.

If Doug is proposing it, I'll second the motion. What the hay...try something new every once in a while.

P.S.1. The forum could also establish other requirements that might be beneficial, i.e., proof of OC, proof of gun ownership, oath of MMM/Brady non-affiliation, etc.... It might be best to do the cleansi... I mean, the membership refinement process all at once.

P.S.2. Another thing that could be prohibited is the "invisible" mode when logged on to the forum. Those people who do that are skulking around in the background--anonymously! That's terrible.

FogRider

imported post

Dear sir,

I agree that making users register is a great idea. I mean, who would use fake information to register an account, right?

Sincerely,
Mike Hunt