• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to handle a officer who feels he needs to disarm you ?

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Common sense tells me to NEVER hand over a loaded gun. I would have removed the mag & the round in the chamber before handing it over.
Nope. As much as I would prefer to hand over an unloaded firearm I wouldn't screw around with it at all in the OP's telling of the situation. Sounds like the cop was already a bit edgy on the issue and messing with the pistol even to make it safe could end up badly for the citizen.

OC for ME

My common sense tells me that I will direct/request the cop to handle my firearm. I ain't touching the gat, nor even being mistakenly thought of as trying to touch the gat. This is how "furtive movement" enters into the post cop involved shooting discussion.

I like breathing and not having any holes in me that are not OEM.

Besides, cops can be a wee bit jittery around guns.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
Necrothread.......I had to reread a bunch of it.

There's a an old thread around here somewhere discussing a bit of electrical tape and whatnot to cover serial numbers.
I use a small piece of Gorilla Tape on mine to "protect" my serial number. I can tell if it has been removed without a warrant.

As long as you have a permit,You can OC/CC in TN. I was told that by a police officer,They "prefer" I CC for "my" safety.
You did see through that, did you not?

For all you FNGs...........NEVER handle or play with or hand over a weapon to a LEO. Doing so is beyond stupid as your chance of being shot is huge. Let the LEO take it if he/she wants it. A gun IN HAND can get you shot. I have been shot before, it was never fun.

rightwinglibertarian

I would reiterate information that is freely all over OCDO. For starters make the cop state you are being detained and when he says yes, make him give you RAS. If he can't or if the gun is the reason, then the encounter is over. For that last reason US V Deberry is clear. Also I would state very clearly 'I do not consent to any searches or seizures. Lastly ALWAYS audio if not video record encounters

Dario

For a necro, a very informative read. I especially liked the comment about getting out of the car and locking it to secure the weapon, made me laugh to no ends. I appreciate the contributions by the TN LEO and wish there were more like him about. He seems to have a very real grasp on the law ans uses common sense in his applications of the law. I have to be somewhat careful as my spouse is former LEO from military forces in another country. We have disagreements all the time on citizen interactions in the US. We both get many laughs in watching Cops and the stuff they pull for the cameras, it's disgusting.

I'm not so sure getting out of the car is the best advice, some cops get real uneasy when you do that unless they order you out. It's an easy way to get handcuffed. I'd rather politely assert my rights and if the officer believes it necessary I would obligate him to do what he feels he needs to without my consent.