• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

How to store a gun in the home with young children

tattedupboy

imported post

Hi guys. I'm having a couple ofproblems that I am hoping some of you have a solution to.

The first is that I live in Indiana in a one bedroom apartment with my lovely fiance. I work as a security officer (armed of course) and when her kids are not there I keep my handgun (a 9mm Hi Point C9) on the lower shelf of the nightstand right next to the bed. The only problem with that is that she pled guilty to a felony (it was silly; she was caughtDUI and ran when the police pulled her over)late last year and is currently on probation. As we all know, those who have either been convicted of or pled guilty to a felony are prohibited from owning, possessing, or being around firearms or weapons of any kind. My question is,would having a firearm in my home while she is there be a violation of her probation? By the way, the gun is only there when I am; whenever I leave, it leaves with me, so she is never there alone with it.I'm hoping that I'm not violating her probation; I'm not a felon and I would hope that just because her rights have been forfeited doesn't mean that mine have to be while she's there.

My other question is that even though her grandmother has custody of her two kids (ages 2 and 3), they spend two to three days out of every week at my apartment. Just to be extra careful, when they are there, I keep the gun locked away in a locked box at the top of the bedroom closet; it is impossible for either of them to get to it that way. While doing this gives me peace of mind (sort of) knowing that they can't get to it while my back is turned, I also feel vulnerable knowing that if someone breaks in, we are all SOL.Any ideas on how I can keep my gun accessible to myself but inaccessible to the kids should the need arise for me to use it?

sitedzn

imported post

i do not know about the probation thing, but i have heard, and practice myself (4 yr old at home) wearing one of my rigs all the time. the safest place, imo, is on your person. it took about 2 weeks, but my son finally stopped asking why i have my gun on. i just tell him that i always have it on, because you never know when a bad guy might show up. i'm just waiting for him to start asking my wife why she doesn't wear her gun:cool:

cato

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Hi guys. I'm having a couple ofproblems that I am hoping some of you have a solution to.

Ask and ye shall receive:

This is all you need. It has an internal holster which presents the gun to you whenyou open the safe. No batteries to change or trust your life to. It comes with two mounts and can be secured to your bed frame, wall, floor, desk, car floor, trunketc...

I bought two (one for thewife's gun on her side of the bed)and have used it every day for about 4 months and the safecan be detached from the base in five seconds so you can carry the safe with you.

I've used it in my checked luggage, in a hotel, anti gun relatives house, etc... About $170. but worth it!

http://www.titangunvault.com/

Click on the "gallery" for a slide show of all the applications.

edit: I'm not a DA or attorney butthe elements of "possession"are usually "knowledge" and "control" of a prohibited item. Don't give her the combo and don't tell her what is in the safe. It would bea fair argument in her defense that she doesn't know it's in the apt and doesn't have "control" of it.

Also, is she on searchable probation? Would a "probation/parole" agent show up for a search of her apartment? These are other considerations. However, if she doesn't have the combo, and it's not hers, even if she gave consent(no consent needed in my state for parole searches)to search it and you weren't there,how would theprobation/parole agent open it. I don't even think you have to worry about searches in the case of a DUI/resisting conviction.

If you used the gun in self defense at her place say the standard, "I fired in self defense/fear for my life, I would like to talk to my attorney please, thank you" and then shut up. Everything else will sort it self out.And tell her not to give a statement either.

tattedupboy

imported post

cato wrote:
tattedupboy wrote:

edit: I'm not a DA or attorney butthe elements of "possession"are usually "knowledge" and "control" of a prohibited item. Don't give her the combo and don't tell her what is in the safe. It would bea fair argument in her defense that she doesn't know it's in the apt and doesn't have "control" of it.

Also, is she on searchable probation? Would a "probation/parole" agent show up for a search of her apartment? These are other considerations. However, if she doesn't have the combo, and it's not hers, even if she gave consent(no consent needed in my state for parole searches)to search it and you weren't there,how would theprobation/parole agent open it. I don't even think you have to worry about searches in the case of a DUI/resisting conviction.

If you used the gun in self defense at her place say the standard, "I fired in self defense/fear for my life, I would like to talk to my attorney please, thank you" and then shut up. Everything else will sort it self out.And tell her not to give a statement either.

Remember, I did say in the original posting that she is never there alone with the gun.Whenever I leave the apartment, my gun leaves with me. Also, the lockable container in which I store my gun has a key lock, not a combination lock, and my keyring always stays with me. As far as I know, the only searches that are stipulated in her probation agreement are random drug and alcohol screenings, not actual searches of the premises.

The titan gun vault is definitely something I'm going to look into. However, my other question, pertaining to keeping a gunin our apartment (both our names are on the lease) and whether or not it violates her probation, still has not been answered. Are there any definitive answers from anyone out there? I have no plans ofmentioning to her probation officer or her drug and alcohol screeners that I keep a gun in the apartment, but I would at least like to know thatif one of them somehow does find out about it, that both ourbacksides are covered.

cato

imported post

tattedupboy wrote:
Are there any definitive answers from anyone out there?

I don't think you'll get a definitive answer unless you talk to an attorney. And I can't speak to the laws of your state, however, in her court documents (the conviction) theremay be language stipulating her probation conditions and prohibited activities.

Also, if she has a decent relationship with her probation officer, I don't see a problem with asking him straight up. But if that makes you nervous thenchanging the story a little to something like if she goes to visit her uncle for a week and he owns guns, but she has no access to them is that a violation. Or ifthe unclecomes to visit, and brings his gun, and she has no access to it, is that a violation.

Edit: Oh, I think I finally get your question, it's not about the probation conditions it's the possible felon with a gun charge. Is that right? I think you need to talk to an attorney. Sorry

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

korupt wrote:
i mean no disrespect, but why do you do armed security with such a cheap sidearm?
By most accounts of people who actually own them, they are fairly reliable firearms.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

tattedupboy wrote:

Her probation officer might be able to tell you just how you can store the firearm in a way that won't get either of you in legal trouble.

IMO,if there are children around, I think it needs to be locked up when it is not under your direct control. Sitting out on the nightstand is not under your control, especially if you are asleep.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

ilbob wrote:
korupt wrote:
i mean no disrespect, but why do you do armed security with such a cheap sidearm?
By most accounts of people who actually own them, they arefairly reliable firearms.
Fairly is the operative word :) -- I have never shot a hi-point in my life -- however I would not be opposed to buying one for some fun at the range.

Everything I have heard as far as word of mouth advertising goes -- it is about 80%+ 20%- But I would rather have a firearm that is proven for a job where you have a greater chance of using it.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

I work for Centier, we have a couple offices down the street from you, our new glen park branch has an LEO during business hours.

We have been getting a lot of comments on how people feel unwelcome having an officer open the door for them.

ilbob

Campaign Veteran
imported post

openryan wrote:
I work for Centier, we have a couple offices down the street from you, our new glen park branch has an LEO during business hours.

We have been getting a lot of comments on how people feel unwelcome having an officer open the door for them.
People have gotten used to not having a door man, guard,or elevator operator. It used to be that every bank had a guard, very few do any more. Its almost like the bank is saying they expect to be robbed if they have a guard these days. I'm sure the bank is trying to present an image that the place is safer because it has a guard. I would bet older customers like it, because thats the way it used to be. Younger customers may never have seen a bank with a guard.